Page 4 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Shiffrin

Yeah all of them. Nothing beats a chick who rips!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

yup yessir mmmhmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronic View Post
    Hey man she's from VAIL not Burke
    She was born in Vail, but both her parents are from/raced in VT (I believe), and she was always a VARA (VT racing) racer growing up. Her father worked at Dartmouth and was always pretty involved in the VT ski racing machinery (again, VARA--their slogan: keeping ski racing first in VT, and VT ski racers first in the world (mission accomplished)).

I expect multiple overall globes for MS in the next few years, and she could set 'modern' records for time differentials in SL. I know she's been training SG over the past year (I think she may enter some this year), and once she has speed events dialed in it's over for everyone else. She could really be the female Stenmark. I would say more talented than Vonn, even (If you look at where she was back when she was MS's age (and her name was Kildow), she has nothing on MIkaela).
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by sicktird View Post

yup yessir mmmhmm.

Great montage

Her balance is second to none in the race world. Her ability to keep her chest and head down the fall line is just incredible. She has mastered the separation of upper and lower body.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Her balance is second to none in the race world. Her ability to keep her chest and head down the fall line is just incredible. She has mastered the separation of upper and lower body.
    Sounds kinky

Quote Originally Posted by sicktird View Post

yup yessir mmmhmm.
    thats kind a trippy
    watch out for snakes

Just saw her on MNF skiing in a Denver jersey--never mind about the VT stuff. CO can have her...
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Not to get all Epicski here, but what I see her in her skiing (the montage doesn't show this so well, I don't think) is somewhat like Ligety--extraordinary edge angles and the ability to very precisely pressure the ski at exactly the right time. She knows how much angle and pressure she can get away with throughout the turn and seems to max that out, which is what makes her fast. I think there are fast racers who have just as good upper/lower body separation (and there are racers who don't do that as well but still win races), but what separates Shiffrin is that sort of feel and power throughout the turn. Regardless, she's pretty amazing--I'm guessing she could race against the men and not get buried. She's definitely the best in the world without a significant rival at the moment (and I think she is now the best in the world in 2 events).
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Not to get all Epicski here, but what I see her in her skiing (the montage doesn't show this so well, I don't think) is somewhat like Ligety--extraordinary edge angles and the ability to very precisely pressure the ski at exactly the right time. She knows how much angle and pressure she can get away with throughout the turn and seems to max that out, which is what makes her fast. I think there are fast racers who have just as good upper/lower body separation (and there are racers who don't do that as well but still win races), but what separates Shiffrin is that sort of feel and power throughout the turn. Regardless, she's pretty amazing--I'm guessing she could race against the men and not get buried. She's definitely the best in the world without a significant rival at the moment (and I think she is now the best in the world in 2 events).
    The last three gates, look at her upper body in between the turn transition (She's hunched over (head/chest into fall line)).

I see her train in the neighborhood alot in the summer....she's nowhere near the size of Vonn. Makes me wonder if she'll ever be that dominant in the speed events. She a crazy good technical skier.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    I see her train in the neighborhood alot in the summer....she's nowhere near the size of Vonn. Makes me wonder if she'll ever be that dominant in the speed events. She a crazy good technical skier.
    I really hope she at least gets top10 competitive in SG so she is in the fight for the overall world cup where being good in the speed events is a huge advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by b dubya View Post
    Tricks are for hookers

Daron Rahlves was tiny compared to the average guy in DH and made it work...I don't think Fenninger is that big. Sure, a disadvantage on gliding courses, but in SG and technical DH courses I think Shiffrin will crush it. She'll also bulk up over the next few years to some extent.
    [quote][//quote]

[QUOTE=Dexter Rutecki;4605027]Not to get all Epicski here, but what I see her in her skiing (the montage doesn't show this so well, I don't think) is somewhat like Ligety

Quiet upper body, cross under not cross over, definite eastern hard snow skiing. Anyone who grew up back there knows the differences it takes between skiing soft surfy snow and WC ice (which is typical eastern skiing on a Sunday afternoon). It is an art form. And fucking cool to watch. Besides her being hot...if only I was 30 years younger, better looking...yadayadayada...

Here she is skiing my living room:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mikaela 1.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	172746  

She was born in Vail, but both her parents are from/raced in VT (I believe), and she was always a VARA (VT racing) racer growing up. Her father worked at Dartmouth and was always pretty involved in the VT ski racing machinery (again, VARA--their slogan: keeping ski racing first in VT, and VT ski racers first in the world (mission accomplished)).

I expect multiple overall globes for MS in the next few years, and she could set 'modern' records for time differentials in SL. I know she's been training SG over the past year (I think she may enter some this year), and once she has speed events dialed in it's over for everyone else. She could really be the female Stenmark. I would say more talented than Vonn, even (If you look at where she was back when she was MS's age (and her name was Kildow), she has nothing on MIkaela).
    Dex -- don't forget,

" The skiing is the easy part ... "

I'm not a big Vonn fan. But let's give her credit for her success :
    For Ten years(,) She is A Force in Racing .
    discussion of her racing speed events against men was seriously considered -- are you kidding me ... ?

... you gapic guys who want to dissect her skiing make me laugh :
    you may be able to offer subtle "coaching" , but any thing like this is a gift and an art :
    after about Age 7 - you cannot teach this : This is inate.

me - myself ... I am going to enjoy the beauty and the wonder that this young woman is on skis . . .

... remiinds me of a lad from New Hampshire almost twenty years ago . . .

Bode changed the game .

(( before him, Ingemar changed the game, too. as did Tomba ... ))

Hey ! Be Safe out there ... ! skiJ
    Last edited by skiJ; 12-02-2015 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo

Regardless, she's pretty amazing--I'm guessing she could race against the men and not get buried. She's definitely the best in the world without a significant rival at the moment (and I think she is now the best in the world in 2 events).
    She skis like a dude, very solid and strong. But she would get buried in a men's WC field. Not to be too sexist, but it's just a completely different ball game.

Daron Rahlves was tiny compared to the average guy in DH and made it work...I don't think Fenninger is that big. Sure, a disadvantage on gliding courses, but in SG and technical DH courses I think Shiffrin will crush it. She'll also bulk up over the next few years to some extent.
    Very true, size is less of an issue in women's speed events and Fennigner and Lara gut are proof of that. She could get good at SG, but it's pretty rare to be the dominant SL figure and be able to keep up in DH. Just look at Marcel hirscher's last few world cup downhill starts, I think he was dead last in training to at Beaver Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

She's racing Lake Louise SG. Seems a bit odd as it's a total gliders course.

It was crazy to watch her in the Aspen SLs. She was the only chick that was ahead of the course. The rest of them were in the back seat and skiing from behind. That hill is pretty tough for chicks and she made it look so good. Too me her balance is the most amazing part and what separates her. She is always so rock solid technically. There are other girls that create more edge angle but no one can match her form.

My wife spends a lot of time
    With her and says she is the most focused dedicated person she's ever met and my wife ski raced at a pretty high level.

I bet she wins a SG by the end of the year. Gonna have to be a technical hill. Fenninger is not big at all, neither is Gut.

Excited to watch her race speed, to see if she can maintain the beautiful, unflappable, technique.

What is amazing to me is how quickly her edge angles get ramped up -- well before the apex of the turn. Whereas it seems most others have higher edge angles later in the turn past the apex.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Maybe it's just a confidence builder so she can finish a few on the tour and then start to make adjustments and get really aggressive?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Fenninger... mmm.... racer chicks are so hot. Shiffrin is just so much fun to watch ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronic View Post
    She skis like a dude, very solid and strong. But she would get buried in a men's WC field. Not to be too sexist, but it's just a completely different ball game.
    Depends on your definition of buried. Based on what I know of splits from combined men's/women's training I would guess she might be as high as the 30's in a men's field. I know Vonn has been in there during some training sessions with men, and I assume Shiffrin is the same--and look at her margins against the women when she's on. She's demolishing them.
    Very true, size is less of an issue in women's speed events and Fennigner and Lara gut are proof of that. She could get good at SG, but it's pretty rare to be the dominant SL figure and be able to keep up in DH. Just look at Marcel hirscher's last few world cup downhill starts, I think he was dead last in training to at Beaver Creek
    Yeah, it always seems to be the same story. I've been watching WC racing for 30 years and it's the rare racer who can keep up across the disciplines (typically these days it seems SL goes away once they start concentrating on speed--look at Svindal and Bode for prime examples). But there have been exceptions--and Hirscher only enters DH to score combined points, really.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    But a good first WC for a SG novice.]

It was crazy to watch her in the Aspen SLs. She was the only chick that was ahead of the course. The rest of them were in the back seat and skiing from behind. That hill is pretty tough for chicks and she made it look so good. Too me her balance is the most amazing part and what separates her. She is always so rock solid technically. There are other girls that create more edge angle but no one can match her form.

My wife spends a lot of time
    With her and says she is the most focused dedicated person she's ever met and my wife ski raced at a pretty high level.

I bet she wins a SG by the end of the year. Gonna have to be a technical hill. Fenninger is not big at all, neither is Gut.
    Have heard exactly the same about her from coaches in VT who know her and her family. Said she would have to be forced off the hill to stop training. Wouldn't surprise me at all if she ends up being strong in SG this year. Look at how far she's come in GS.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Excited to watch her race speed, to see if she can maintain the beautiful, unflappable, technique.

What is amazing to me is how quickly her edge angles get ramped up -- well before the apex of the turn. Whereas it seems most others have higher edge angles later in the turn past the apex.
    See earlier comment about her being ahead of the course. That's really what it comes down to--funny, because it's the same thing at all levels of ski racing, really.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Maybe it's just a confidence builder so she can finish a few on the tour and then start to make adjustments and get really aggressive?
    Possibly, but the way she generates speed in GS and SL I wouldn't rule out her being able to do the same, depending on the set, in SG. It really all comes down to whether they set it tech or more like a DH. I think.
    [quote][//quote]

15th in SG today, not bad. She'll be on the podium soon enough.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Depends on your definition of buried. Based on what I know of splits from combined men's/women's training I would guess she might be as high as the 30's in a men's field. I know Vonn has been in there during some training sessions with men, and I assume Shiffrin is the same--and look at her margins against the women when she's on. She's demolishing them.
    Ya, it's hard to say. Back when I raced with her up until a few years ago she was still not quite on the level of top guys her age. Now those same guys can't even get spots on the WC, or even stack up in europa cups or whatever. Watching this weekend at Beaver Creek. Holy shit. It's not easy to get a second run in a world cup tech event. Those dudes are all so fast and so powerful in their skiing. Now I do think shiffrin is far more talented that most of the guys out there today. Its just such a different playing field.
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

What a great role model a young generation of ski racers have to watch, it has been fun watching her career in which she has only got better in each passing year.