Page 23 of 107 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Shiffrin

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    there it is
    It is surprising to people not familiar with it that ski racing doesn't require elite raw athleticism for success, even at the highest levels.

But, Shiffrin and Vonn are great examples that it doesn't.

Again, it is a compliment to them, at least for those who admire hard work and dedication.

Easy Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Shiffrin is a joy to watch ski. And shows a lot of humility, poise & class in a very public life.
    Quoted for truth.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    I realize part of this is just looking to throw virtual food at what was clearly, as regards her, a compliment.

Numbers don't lie. In her case, phenom for alpine ski racing, but not a great natural athlete. Not even naturally great at stability work. Great ski racer before she could crank a single unassisted pullup. Very good aerobic capacity, otherwise not exceptional for most raw numbers. The compliment is that she got to where she is through hard work and, also, through the good fortune of having parents who created a great environment for learning to ski.

One of many elite ski racers who weren't necessarily great natural athletes. Again, not a knock.
    What numbers are you referring to? I hope your source isn't the video.

The bottom of that course was eating racers up. She made it look easy. Her mental game is the best I've ever seen. She knows exactly how much she needs to do, where she can play it safe and where to push.

It is surprising to people not familiar with it that ski racing doesn't require elite raw athleticism for success, even at the highest levels.

But, Shiffrin and Vonn are great examples that it doesn't.

Again, it is a compliment to them, at least for those who admire hard work and dedication.
    You really believe this?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    You really believe this?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app
    That neither are great natural athletes is widely known, within ski racing, and noted by both themselves.

That it is surprising to people not familiar with ski racing, is also obvious.

Again, Shiffrin is probably a better all-rounder than Vonn, who is more clumsy off-snow.

And, again let me emphasize that this is a compliment to them both, to their hard work and dedication and that of those around them. Not a knock at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GimpToo View Post
    Whomever crosses the finish line, without error, first, wins
    Change the 'without error' to 'fewest errors' and you're correct.

That neither are great natural athletes is widely known, within ski racing, and noted by both themselves.

That it is surprising to people not familiar with ski racing, is also obvious.

Again, Shiffrin is probably a better all-rounder than Vonn, who is more clumsy off-snow.

And, again let me emphasize that this is a compliment to them both, to their hard work and dedication and that of those around them. Not a knock at all.
    I don't really get your point. If you're trying to say that Shiffrin and Vonn wouldn't be world class triathletes if you dropped them into a race then sure, I'm with you. But also ... duh. At their level everyone is specialized.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

for bushwacker:

podiums don't lie

I disagree. If you dropped either one into a competitive arena (triathlon for instance) they would have great success. The amount of focus and work is unbelievable....but so is baseline athleticism. Haven’t you ever trained/competed w someone who has a huge work ethic but no talent? At some point they just can’t hang.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Shiffren would not be were she is now if Vonn had not set the standard - Lead the way to what is possible
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Yup. Remember the “superstars” with all the random events. Skiers cleaned up in those contests.

This thread drift is ridiculous. Shiffrin is an elite athlete period. Questioning that is almost as foolish as trumptards global warming tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yup. Remember the “superstars” with all the random events. Skiers cleaned up in those contests.

This thread drift is ridiculous. Shiffrin is an elite athlete period. Questioning that is almost as foolish as trumptards global warming tweet.
    And She is kinda Hot

The point of the thread
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Someone who is a boot doctor needs to get a hold of her. I'm sure tweeting or facebook are viable options. The Olympics are coming up, and if she's not dialed in by then, she's not winning any medals!
    Ok ok, soooo Benny was looking for "the best Boot Doctor in Breck" so he can help his friend Mikaela improve her pow slaying ability. Surely 'Merica's most popular ski area can provide the fix for 'Mericas Gold Medal Girl?

Huge props to Benny for getting to the bottom of all this for the Champ!
    GhostofSeasonsPast - are you tracking with all this? Do you give your wax seal of approval about these "next steps?"

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post

Yeah, I was just going to post this: https://www.skimag.com/uncategorized...ars-in-jamaica The skiers always crushed the other athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I don't really get your point. If you're trying to say that Shiffrin and Vonn wouldn't be world class triathletes if you dropped them into a race then sure, I'm with you. But also ... duh. At their level everyone is specialized.
    More specifically, if you asked the coaches at, say, Burke who their best performers have been in terms of weight room performance, agility, explosiveness, etc., Shiffrin won't have been their best natural athlete. They have had others who were better on all of those measures. Just as you can see from the vid downthread that a simple frontflip on a trampoline didn't come naturally to her. Just as a simple pullup didn't come naturally to her. Not a single unassisted pullup without a lot of focused effort. But, Shiffrin was and is a huge standout in terms of focus, work ethic, and coachability.

Ha, I get it, you’re one of those gym rats who doesn’t understand the difference between strength and athleticism.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Ha, I get it, you’re one of those gym rats who doesn’t understand the difference between strength and athleticism.
    No, but it is possible because I am speaking in terms that, e.g., the coaches at Burke would readily understand, that it may be foreign to you.

But, maybe you also define "natural athlete" in a very unusual way.

It's not important, because you really aren't the audience for the message that her work ethic, coachability, and also her parents and the rest of those around her are what got her to where she is, and not that she just was born with huge physical gifts not given to others.

Shit, bet she's never dunked a basketball or ran a 5 minute mile.

No, but it is possible because I am speaking in terms that, e.g., the coaches at Burke would readily understand, that it may be foreign to you.

It's not important, because you really aren't the audience for the message that her work ethic, coachability, and also her parents and the rest of those around her are what got her to where she is, and not that she just was born with huge physical gifts not given to others.
    Are you ever going to show us proof of your sub 100 FIS slalom points?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Shiffrin

Or maybe you have that backwards. You’re talking about pull-ups and athleticism which demonstrates a complete misunderstanding.

EDIT: and not saying strength can't be a component of athleticism, but the idea that it's required is just plain wrong. I know plenty of strong people that are extremely un-athletic and have some of the shittiest hand-eye coordination I've ever seen.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 12-29-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Yeah, pull ups are not a proxy for "natural athlete". Moreover, you have no idea what type of workout she'd been through before that pull up. I mean, if she had been blasting arm workouts and that was the end of the day, or maybe that was the end of her third set of pull ups? You're an uninteresting troll. Go make some dolphin turns.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

She finished third in today's GS. .08 off the winning time.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    She finished third in today's GS. .08 off the winning time.
    ! We jinxed her! More pull-ups for Shiffrin and all will be good!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch