Page 62 of 107 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2669

Thread: Shiffrin

Quote Originally Posted by MCskid View Post
    Bingo. Here in Colorado along the Front Range all the ski areas charge a ridiculous amount of money for even the YSL teams. Loveland is the cheapest at around $2000 a season, plus ski pass and then gear. Then there is Ski Cooper, the only community owned ski area in the state(where we have our kids on the ski team). They charge $250 for the season, kids get a couple of pair of skis with that. Granted the ski gear is all used, hand me down stuff. But our kids win just as many races as the teams from Vail, Summit, etc. Ski racing doesn't have to be expensive, it's just that the for profit area's view it as that, for profit. Had some friends that lived in Austria, they said the ski teams there were pretty much run in the same manner as Cooper. Something like 90% of the kids in Austria grow up doing some time on a ski team. That allows the national team to find the talent.
    Holy shit, Cooper is only 250? My kid's at Eldora (which seems to be slightly cheaper than your Loveland price, but only barely). 250 is ridiculous compared to what I pay.

We'll be at Cooper for a YSL race on January 26th. Will you be at that one?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I was under the impression that almost all of the ski clubs in CO were not-for-profits...

It was about $1,000 for my 7 year old to get a pass and join the ski club for the season. It's 8 days of lessons.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

The club at Eldora is non profit, albeit a terribly run one.

They do provide way more than 8 days though, it's closer to 14 or 15 (plus the 5 races if you sign up for them) for the price I mentioned above (ski pass not included).
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I was under the impression that almost all of the ski clubs in CO were not-for-profits...

It was about $1,000 for my 7 year old to get a pass and join the ski club for the season. It's 8 days of lessons.
    For 8 ski lessons and a pass that's not too bad a deal. There's generally a pretty sizable bump in tuition costs when going from intro programs to full time, but then you are talking 50+ days on snow vs. 8 for coaching, lane rentals etc. Another good price bump when they leave YSL for USSA, I think last year's team fees were ~3500 +$500 fundraising support for my FIS athlete. Travel, lodging, and race fees were at least 4X the tuition costs, but we're talking almost 130 days on snow. Not quite but almost on par with college tuition, it's no wonder there's a big attrition rate going from YSL to USSA/FIS.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Shiffrin

As someone who has previously been involved in youth field sports such as soccer and am now involved in our nonprofit ski club in CO I can state that the biggest determinant of program cost is coach payroll.

Youth soccer is often cheap because local communities maintain fields and coaches volunteer their time. Cost goes up as age and coaching resources become more expensive.

Same with ski racing. What exactly you do you get for $250 at Cooper?
    If you’re going to train 5 days a week with paid coaches its going to cost some real money. That is a choice. And as Mofro points out as they get older the travel costs are the real cost. Ski passes and gear is just rounding error. Our club has a great relationship with the ski resort but giving kids a good safe dedicated training space is a real challenge.

I’m betting none of you show up to work every day for free. Simply complaining about ski area profit mongering is just not accurate...
    Last edited by dcpnz; 12-24-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    As someone who has previously been involved in youth field sports such as soccer and am now involved in our nonprofit ski club in CO I can state that the biggest determinant of program cost is coach payroll.

Youth soccer is often cheap because local communities maintain fields and coaches volunteer their time. Cost goes up as age and coaching resources become more expensive..
    We have fallen into the Club Soccer trap. My stepson really wants to play college soccer and I suppose he has a shot at it maybe, but zero chance of a scholarship for it, more like community college soccer. His grandparents even pay for him to have a private coaching session once a week. The club is $1150 plus all the tourney fees and travel expense and the coaches are good I guess even though a couple years ago he was suddenly on the bench most of the time before they demoted him to the B team and left to languish with a bunch of players with half his skill, then suddenly last year he is back on the A team, team captain, leading scorer and full time striker. So I question how great they really are. I mean, 1000% better than most high school coaches but that isn't saying much.

Meh...again I know about as much about ski race coaching as I do soccer, which isn't much...but I feel like we have solid coaches for our $400. Level 3 guys, most with race backgrounds. Our head coach goes to Copper to help teach expensive camps every year. He did some privates with a gal currently on the US D team. My guess is Cooper is much the same. Passionate coaches doing it because they love it. Rec league for kids. I think a lot of it isn't rocket science until the kids are older and faster then maybe. Hell, my girl had super solid fundamentals when she joined the race team because I taught her, and I am a total hack who never raced because my parents had zero interest. I think one of the things the midwest excels at is making skiing, ski racing accessible to the masses, thus a string of pretty good racers from little hills. The race camp we go to at Trollhaugen every Thanksgiving doesn't have ex US Ski team racers on the staff (not that I know any of them) but it is $175 for three five hour days of training including lunch and lift tickets and no affiliation is required. The weather is starting to effect how many of the masses consider skiing but that story is yet to unfold. 51 degrees here today. FML I should move to Leadville and pay $250 at a sweet little hill and enjoy real winter.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 12-24-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Youth soccer is often cheap because local communities maintain fields and coaches volunteer their time. Cost goes up as age and coaching resources become more expensive.

If you’re going to train 5 days a week with paid coaches its going to cost some real money. That is a choice. And as Mofro points out as they get older the travel costs are the real cost. Ski passes and gear is just rounding error. Our club has a great relationship with the ski resort but giving kids a good safe dedicated training space is a real challenge.

I’m betting none of you show up to work every day for free. Simply complaining about ski area profit mongering is just not accurate...
    Ok, I'll say it again, in France, coaches are former wc skiers and it's still 250 a year.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Ok, I'll say it again, in France, coaches are former wc skiers and it's still 250 a year.

So they're volunteering then and the program is almost certainly subsidized in other ways too.....

Anyway, back to Shiffrin.... that last GS was pretty mediocre for her ...when is she racing next??..

...when is she racing next??..
    Lienz, Austria, Dec. 28-29

What exactly you do you get for $250 at Cooper?
    Training on Sat, Mon. and Wend evenings 5-7. Races on Sun. Some middle school races on Fri. Ski swap where the kids get all their gear, skis, boots, poles, helmets, speed suits, etc. It's all hand me downs. Amazing coaches who all grew up ski racing, some in college, no WC podiums though. We have just as many kids that finish top 10/podium as the other teams. It's not like Vail has access to some sort of top secret racing technique. We race against Vail, Breck, Summit, Winter Park, Eldora, Loveland and maybe someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

We'll be at Cooper for a YSL race on January 26th. Will you be at that one?
    We will be there. Let's hook up and ring some cow bells!

It's not like Vail has access to some sort of top secret racing technique.
    They do have a kickass clubhouse, though.

We will be there. Let's hook up and ring some cow bells!
    Yes! What age group is your kiddo in? My daughter is a U10.

I guess Shiffrin hasn’t won lately. Ski team dads need each other

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have u10 and u12 daughters. Roughly $4500 a year each for 4-5 days on snow a week plus Christmas camp. Serious money.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

This is like a huge facepalm thread.

Is this what shitty skiing has come to?

I feel bad for you parents. Kids too.

Like ski racing is ... anything.

I know over a dozen prime coaches. Travel the world, bitch in the bar about the parents and kids. They all live together and can barely make gas money if they aren't on an airplane on the teet.

Pathetic. Why bother? Like those skills are in any way tranferable? Those kids are the littlest biggest bitches (boys and girls) on the planet.

Teach them how to fish or plant a garden.

I have no sympathy whatsoever. I just laugh and tell my buds to STFU.

The weather helps Mikaela

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 8.22.11 AM.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	360.4 KB 
ID:	307605
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

So they're volunteering then and the program is almost certainly subsidized in other ways too.....

Anyway, back to Shiffrin.... that last GS was pretty mediocre for her ...when is she racing next??..
    Actually, they are ski instructors and they are getting paid for this.

Why don't you want to admit that kids ski racing is fucked up by the resorts that all they want is maintain a monopoly on instruction and make add much money as possible.

So many advantages to the alpine culture of Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

A bit off the topic and from 35 years ago.

I learned to ski at a small hill north of Albany. Very small hill.

My mom paid $125 per kid for 8 weeks of Sunday lessons including rentals and lift tickets. My parents did not ski. If things cost anything like they do today, my sisters and I would have never taken up the sport.

Ski lessons, ski racing and ski free ride teams are just another big profit option for most resorts. It’s too bad as skiing has become something just for the rich or those willing to sacrifice other things to afford to ski.

If we needed up with more community teams we could see way more talent bubble up.

guys, please ...

Start a new thread to ( air grievances ) about junior racing :

I follow this thread For MS.

MTM is Not-wrong
    ( and the 'buzz - kill ' is about to get a couple of you on the Ignore list -- )

2020. World Championships ...

2020 FIS World Cups.
    Four Plus the Overall ...

Stay healthy, MS ! !! tj

This fucking guy
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    guys, please ...
    I follow this thread For MS.

2020. World Championships ...

2020 FIS World Cups.
    Four Plus the Overall ...

Stay healthy, MS ! !! tj
    There is no 2020 World Alpine Championships
    The World Alpine Championships are held every 2 years, on odd years.
    2015 was in Vail-Beaver Creek USA
    2017 was in St Moritz Switzerland
    2019 was in Åre Sweden
    2021 is in Cortina Italy
    2023 is in Courchevel-Meribel France
    2025 is being bid on by 3 applicants: Crans Montana Switzerland, Garmisch-Partenkirchen Germany and Saalbach Austria.

crud. I knew that. ...

so. Four 'event' globes plus the Overall (?)

we are Spoiled :

What A Great racer - err- Great skier !

Go ! get 'em ! MS ! !!!

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    crud. I knew that. ...
    so. Four 'event' globes plus the Overall (?)
    we are Spoiled :
    What A Great racer - err- Great skier !
    Go ! get 'em ! MS ! !!!
    Why not 5 Discipline Globes and the overall Globe? 1.Downhill, 2.SuperG, 3.Alpine Combined, 4.GS, 5.SL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Why not 5 Discipline Globes and the overall Globe? 1.Downhill, 2.SuperG, 3.Alpine Combined, 4.GS, 5.SL.
    the Slalom champ is also the DH champ (?)

dude, this is Not 1967 anymore...

: ) skiJ