Page 53 of 107 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2669

Thread: Shiffrin

Don't think she ever looked comfortable on that snow in the 2nd run.

Guaranteed a podium though.

Edit: Vlhova looked much better on that run as well. Very aggressive.

I was shocked Rebensburg lost all that time down low. She looked great up high.

I didn't realize Vlhova basically financed her entire season on her own (with her dad's help). Crazy. She's gonna be picking up some major money soon.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    I didn't realize Vlhova basically financed her entire season on her own (with her dad's help). Crazy. She's gonna be picking up some major money soon.
    She's already made some decent cash this season: https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/alpine-sk...y-ranking.html

Also, congrats to Alice Robinson for winning the 2nd run.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    She's already made some decent cash this season: https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/alpine-sk...y-ranking.html

Also, congrats to Alice Robinson for winning the 2nd run.
    Can't imagine that goes super far though when you factor in hill time, travel, coach salaries, and basic costs of living though.

Still, I'd take that kind of $$$ in a heartbeat.

And Alice Robinson looked fucking great. I hope we see her some more. Seems like she's had some trouble with her 2nd runs this year.

3rd while Vlhova gets gold. I agree with GR that MS gets in her own head too much. No issue managing your effort and energy and minimizing injury exposure, but relax a bit.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Vlhova was max attack in both runs. I thought the big mistake she had early in her second run would surely cost her the top of the podium but she just kept the pedal down and crushed the rest of the run. She is a powerful skier and is going to maybe push Shiffrin to let em rip a bit more in order to stay ahead of her.

That said Shiffrin skied the second run a bit more aggressively than her first but she still didn't really attack. Almost like she was hoping Vlhova and Rebensburg would make some major mistakes allowing her to back onto the top of the podium. It almost worked. Vlhova is getting too good to just "hope" she makes a mistake.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Can't imagine that goes super far though when you factor in hill time, travel, coach salaries, and basic costs of living though.
    You don't think she has sponsors kicking in to defray those costs?

of course they are. She is a stokli athlete. She gets a retainer, and win schedule as well.

The same goes for here head gear sponsor, retainer and win schedule. I bet she is maxed out on the win schedule. Prize money is secondary. She is making well north of $1mill a year.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    She is a stokli athlete.
    Rossignol.

Just watched the young woman from NZ crush that second run, she has so much coil, her release is amazing. That was something see, she rips.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Mikaela Shiffrin
    February 9 at 2:35 PM ·

I have to say, I’m flattered by some recent comments by Bode and Lindsey saying that they think I would have been a contender in 5 events this World Champs. However, as the one who has been trying to race in every discipline this season, and who has won in 5 disciplines this season alone, I can tell you that not a single one of those wins was “easy”. There is no such thing as an easy win. From the outside, people see the records and stats. As I have said, those numbers dehumanize the sport and what every athlete is trying to achieve.

What I see and experience is an enormous mixture of work, training, joy, heartache, motivation, laughs, stress, sleepless nights, triumph, pain, doubt, certainty, more doubt, more work, more training, surprises, delayed flights, canceled flights, lost luggage, long drives through the night, expense, more work, adventure, and some races mixed in there. I don’t have the slalom and GS season titles in the bag, and I don’t have the slalom or GS World Champs medals in the bag either. The girls are competitive and it’s a fight, every single race.

Everyone has their sights set on gold, so to think that I could come in and waltz away with 4 or 5 medals would be a wild miscalculation and honestly disrespectful to the talent and ability of the other athletes, and how much work they have also put into their skiing. At 23-years-old, I’m still understanding my full potential as well as my limitations. But I have definitely learned not to let hubris dictate my expectations and goals. My goal has never been to break records for most WC wins, points or most medals at World Champs.

My goal is to be a true contender every time I step into the start, and to have the kind of longevity in my career that will allow me to look back when all is said and done and say that – for a vast majority of the duration of my career – I was able to compete and fight for that top step rather than being sidelined by getting burnt out or injured from pushing beyond my capacity.

It is clear to me that many believe I am approaching my career in a way that nobody has before, and people don’t really understand it. But you know what?! That is completely fine by me, because I am ME, and no one else.

Finally, I'd like to thank each and every one of your for your support and for being the absolute best fans in the world!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

^^ She needs to chill a bit and not take every comment so seriously like she needs to address it. Celebrity 101: "Do I really need to say something?" If not, then don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ She needs to chill a bit and not take every comment so seriously like she needs to address it. Celebrity 101: "Do I really need to say something?" If not, then don't bother.
    Or just some mid-season venting. Release pressure and continue on. Her then-current teammate sniping her on her schedule when her then-current teammate has skied herself into arthritis isn't very supportive.
    Iow, you could flip the subject of your celebrity 101. "Do I, LV, really need to say something..." If not, then don't bother.

Oh she does, but hill time, coaches, travel, etc. aren't cheap. A guy I know did the Warner Nickerson route for a year (won NorAm SG title) and said he spent, that season alone (with the help of the USST for training space), over $75,000 just on travel, coaches, and CoL alone.

Vlhova's coach (I believe) is Tina Maze's ex-coach so he certainly isn't cheap.

I'm just saying I'm expecting her to get picked up by Red Bull or a major helmet sponsor soon. Unless Uniqa pays a ton already.

I think it's great that Vlhova is pushing MS as well. It'll be interesting to see if she too starts to race in speed events to try to compete for the overall title.

I think with Vlhova nipping at her heels we won't see MS focus on speed events as much as if she were still winning races by 1-2 seconds.

Or just some mid-season venting. Release pressure and continue on. Her then-current teammate sniping her on her schedule when her then-current teammate has skied herself into arthritis isn't very supportive.
    Iow, you could flip the subject of your celebrity 101. "Do I, LV, really need to say something..." If not, then don't bother.
    Sure. But Vonn was responding to a reporter's question, I believe; you get asked shit and you respond as best you can in the moment. And truthfully, she just said what everyone not in MS's inner circle was thinking. MS responded via social media, ie she had time to decide whether to respond. I love her, and she had the right to decide what's best for her, but it does seem like she's wound a little tight.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Off topic but if you get the chance, watch the mens GS rerun. Holy shit was it some fucking fantastic skiing by the top 10.

Down by .15 after the first run. 2nd run on NBCSP channel now
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

And a gold!!!!

Another record with 4 in a row
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Holy cow what a second run....that’s hard to believe.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

She's amazing.

Sad to see Holderner have a huge mistake.

Woke up early to watch the race. Mikaela said that her Mom told her right before that she "didn't have to do this," if she felt she just wasn't up for it. It proved the challenging words for her. She said she told herself that she could run a ski race for "one minute," and push it during that time. Did she ever. Amazing.
    And yes, I do agree with a comment below that she is "wound a little tight,(last Olympics). But, for now, she continues to win. . .

Shiffrin

Watching the NBC coverage now. Predictably bad, because NBC, but excited to see these runs.

Also funny how men never seem to get criticized for being singularly focused on winning. Bode was always the anomaly because he didn’t have that.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Watching the NBC coverage now. Predictably bad, because NBC, but excited to see these runs.

Also funny how men never seem to get criticized for being singularly focused on winning. Bode was always the anomaly because he didn’t have that.
    Right, Bode just wanted to go faster.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post

Take drink every time they say Mikaela Shiffrin..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Lol. Would’ve been too wasted to watch her second run at that rate. Really gutsy effort there and some good skiing all around.