Page 66 of 106 FirstFirst ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 2647

Thread: Shiffrin

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Sounds like a good guy. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/04/s...gtype=Homepage
    At 69 I feel the same way about roofs. I need to convince my wife. Maybe sell our ladders.
    Very sad.
    I am 69, five years ago I gave our younger son our extension ladder...

Pretty sure she will be back next weekend. She was training at Aspen Highlands this week.

That's horrible.

I've heard it said that ladders are the most dangerous thing in your house. A friend died in his 40s a few years ago, hit his head falling off a ladder. About the same time, my old man came close, "only" breaking his pelvis.

In racing news, they cancelled the SL/GS in Ofterschwang this weekend due to lack of snow. It's actually snowing this week, but there's not enough time for course prep.

She just needs time, I hope that Mikaela can find inner peace.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 7.40.15 AM.png 
Views:	350 
Size:	346.6 KB 
ID:	318937

Longer live statement

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

From the NY Times:

Mikaela Shiffrin Plans Return to World Cup Racing

March 5, 2020, 10:54 a.m. ET

In the first week of February, as Mikaela Shiffrin sat in a Colorado bedroom preparing a video tribute to her father, Jeff Shiffrin, who had died after a home accident days earlier, the surrounding mountains filled with snow.

Shiffrin had stepped away from the World Cup circuit, where she is the three-time reigning champion; the absence has stretched to six weeks as she and the family focused on their loss.

Shiffrin sifted through 112 hours of home movies, editing them into a 20-minute video to be shown at a private memorial service for Jeff, who was 65.

“Instead of me speaking, I wanted everyone to see the dad we knew — to hear his voice and to hear him laughing,” Shiffrin, a two-time Olympic ski racing champion, said in a telephone interview Tuesday night.
    “But the snow kept coming down and we thought: Did my dad, who loved skiing after a big storm, send this?” Shiffrin said. “It was like he was saying, ‘Why are you spending your time on this thing about me? Get out and ski.’”

The next day, with her mother, Eileen, her older brother, Taylor, and some family friends, Shiffrin ventured onto the Vail Valley mountain trails where her parents taught her to ski.

“We did it more for Dad than anything,” Shiffrin said. “It did reset some things. We needed it.”

While she had not seriously considered whether she would return to the World Cup this season, three days after the casual ski outing with her family, Shiffrin resumed race training.

“I got to a point where I don’t think I could live with myself if I didn’t try to get back in the start gate,” said Shiffrin.

On Thursday, she plans to fly to Sweden to ready herself for three races next week in Are, the country’s leading site for Alpine skiing. The season-ending World Cup finals, where Shiffrin could race as many as five times, are scheduled for March 18 to 22 in Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy, if organizing officials do not cancel the event because of coronavirus concerns.
    “Maybe it’s something to make me feel closer to him,” Shiffrin said of returning to competition, adding that she liked to think her father would somehow be watching her performance. “Maybe it helps my mom feel closer to him. If it doesn’t, then we come back home.”
    The decision to return to racing is the first concrete step Shiffrin, who will turn 25 on March 13, has taken as she contemplates her new reality. The past month has been a whirlwind.

“We really haven’t started the grieving process,” she said. “We are sort of existing.”
    When Mikaela and Eileen, who has in the past acted as her daughter’s coach and traveling companion, received the news of Jeff’s accident on Feb. 1 while training in Europe, it took them several hours to arrange a flight to Denver. After driving five hours, they ended up in the Munich airport and were standing in line waiting to board when in the periphery of their vision they saw a tall man approaching them.

“Mikaela and I were holding hands, arm in arm, just in shock and shaking,” said Eileen, who feared they would be asked to talk about ski racing at an inopportune time.

The man was Bode Miller, America’s most decorated male skier, who was on the same flight. He walked up wordlessly and hugged Mikaela.

Returning from Europe, the Shiffrins, along with a host of other family and friends, were at the Denver hospital where Jeff, a leading anesthesiologist in the area, had been transported.

“He was truly surrounded by love,” Mikaela said of her father’s last moments on Feb. 2. The family has declined to reveal details of the incident; a coroner ruled it an accident and listed the cause of death as a head injury.

Once they were back in the Colorado mountains, Shiffrin said, planning for the memorial reception consumed the time after Jeff’s death, as did handling the many financial and legal details that needed to be sorted out.

“Everyone asks us if we’re OK,” Shiffrin said. “My dad’s attitude was always that you’ve got to keep going, you’ve got to keep learning and improving. That’s what we’re doing. We haven’t at all come to terms with whatever this new reality is. It still seems like an alternate reality.”

In recent days, the Shiffrins have begun enlarging photos of Jeff to 20 inches by 36 inches and positioning them around their Colorado home.

“At first, I didn’t want to look at pictures, because I didn’t want to feel the pain,” Mikaela said. “But then you get through that part, and you still feel a little sad, but the overwhelming, huge piece is that we’re so incredibly grateful that he was our dad, that he was my mom’s husband, that he was ours.

“The best way to honor someone’s memory is to be so grateful that they existed in your life.”

In the Munich airport last month, after hugging a crying Mikaela for several minutes, Miller was asked by the Shiffrins how he knew of Jeff’s accident since they had told only family and close associates. Miller, Mikaela’s ski racing hero while growing up, replied that he had not known about their loss.

“Bode said he saw us and could just tell something wasn’t right,” Eileen said. “I mean, of all people. Of all times.”

In 2018, Miller’s 19-month-old daughter, Emmy, accidentally drowned in a neighbor’s pool. Five years earlier, Miller’s younger brother, Chelone, had died of an apparent seizure.

Aware that Miller and his wife, Morgan, have since become water safety advocates and have continued to grow their family, Mikaela called the chance meeting calming, even inspirational. She saw hope when all there had been was despair.

“Just seeing Bode right then,” Shiffrin said, “and he didn’t say anything at first, but it was like: No, it’s not OK, you’re not OK. But in the same sense, it’s going to be OK.”

What a crazy twist with Bode at the airport, so random. So necessary.
    Wow
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    From the NY Times:

Mikaela Shiffrin Plans Return to World Cup Racing

March 5, 2020, 10:54 a.m. ET

In the first week of February, as Mikaela Shiffrin sat in a Colorado bedroom preparing a video tribute to her father, Jeff Shiffrin, who had died after a home accident days earlier, the surrounding mountains filled with snow.

Shiffrin had stepped away from the World Cup circuit, where she is the three-time reigning champion; the absence has stretched to six weeks as she and the family focused on their loss.

Shiffrin sifted through 112 hours of home movies, editing them into a 20-minute video to be shown at a private memorial service for Jeff, who was 65.

“Instead of me speaking, I wanted everyone to see the dad we knew — to hear his voice and to hear him laughing,” Shiffrin, a two-time Olympic ski racing champion, said in a telephone interview Tuesday night.
    “But the snow kept coming down and we thought: Did my dad, who loved skiing after a big storm, send this?” Shiffrin said. “It was like he was saying, ‘Why are you spending your time on this thing about me? Get out and ski.’”

The next day, with her mother, Eileen, her older brother, Taylor, and some family friends, Shiffrin ventured onto the Vail Valley mountain trails where her parents taught her to ski.

“We did it more for Dad than anything,” Shiffrin said. “It did reset some things. We needed it.”

While she had not seriously considered whether she would return to the World Cup this season, three days after the casual ski outing with her family, Shiffrin resumed race training.

“I got to a point where I don’t think I could live with myself if I didn’t try to get back in the start gate,” said Shiffrin.

On Thursday, she plans to fly to Sweden to ready herself for three races next week in Are, the country’s leading site for Alpine skiing. The season-ending World Cup finals, where Shiffrin could race as many as five times, are scheduled for March 18 to 22 in Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy, if organizing officials do not cancel the event because of coronavirus concerns.
    “Maybe it’s something to make me feel closer to him,” Shiffrin said of returning to competition, adding that she liked to think her father would somehow be watching her performance. “Maybe it helps my mom feel closer to him. If it doesn’t, then we come back home.”
    The decision to return to racing is the first concrete step Shiffrin, who will turn 25 on March 13, has taken as she contemplates her new reality. The past month has been a whirlwind.

“We really haven’t started the grieving process,” she said. “We are sort of existing.”
    When Mikaela and Eileen, who has in the past acted as her daughter’s coach and traveling companion, received the news of Jeff’s accident on Feb. 1 while training in Europe, it took them several hours to arrange a flight to Denver. After driving five hours, they ended up in the Munich airport and were standing in line waiting to board when in the periphery of their vision they saw a tall man approaching them.

“Mikaela and I were holding hands, arm in arm, just in shock and shaking,” said Eileen, who feared they would be asked to talk about ski racing at an inopportune time.

The man was Bode Miller, America’s most decorated male skier, who was on the same flight. He walked up wordlessly and hugged Mikaela.

Returning from Europe, the Shiffrins, along with a host of other family and friends, were at the Denver hospital where Jeff, a leading anesthesiologist in the area, had been transported.

“He was truly surrounded by love,” Mikaela said of her father’s last moments on Feb. 2. The family has declined to reveal details of the incident; a coroner ruled it an accident and listed the cause of death as a head injury.

Once they were back in the Colorado mountains, Shiffrin said, planning for the memorial reception consumed the time after Jeff’s death, as did handling the many financial and legal details that needed to be sorted out.

“Everyone asks us if we’re OK,” Shiffrin said. “My dad’s attitude was always that you’ve got to keep going, you’ve got to keep learning and improving. That’s what we’re doing. We haven’t at all come to terms with whatever this new reality is. It still seems like an alternate reality.”

In recent days, the Shiffrins have begun enlarging photos of Jeff to 20 inches by 36 inches and positioning them around their Colorado home.

“At first, I didn’t want to look at pictures, because I didn’t want to feel the pain,” Mikaela said. “But then you get through that part, and you still feel a little sad, but the overwhelming, huge piece is that we’re so incredibly grateful that he was our dad, that he was my mom’s husband, that he was ours.

“The best way to honor someone’s memory is to be so grateful that they existed in your life.”

In the Munich airport last month, after hugging a crying Mikaela for several minutes, Miller was asked by the Shiffrins how he knew of Jeff’s accident since they had told only family and close associates. Miller, Mikaela’s ski racing hero while growing up, replied that he had not known about their loss.

“Bode said he saw us and could just tell something wasn’t right,” Eileen said. “I mean, of all people. Of all times.”

In 2018, Miller’s 19-month-old daughter, Emmy, accidentally drowned in a neighbor’s pool. Five years earlier, Miller’s younger brother, Chelone, had died of an apparent seizure.

Aware that Miller and his wife, Morgan, have since become water safety advocates and have continued to grow their family, Mikaela called the chance meeting calming, even inspirational. She saw hope when all there had been was despair.

“Just seeing Bode right then,” Shiffrin said, “and he didn’t say anything at first, but it was like: No, it’s not OK, you’re not OK. But in the same sense, it’s going to be OK.”
    ... worth preserving --

take as long as you need, MS --

If you never race again... ( but

I don't get that impression of MS

( but I definitely remember when twenty-five was considered Old to be a World Cup ski racer ) )

And my thanks to Bode for his compassion...

Life is fragile...

my Condolences to Shiffrins -
    With love.

tj

Smart decision by her team. The people In Sweden will leave he alone and give her space.
    If she feels ready she can compete in Ĺre in 3 events, PL-SL, GS, and SL. 12th-14th.
    The World Cup Finals in Cortina Italy will most likely be moved to both Ĺre for the Tech events and Kvitfjell for the Speed events.
    There is plenty of opportunity to train in Ĺre, and its an easy travel to Kvitfjell if she wants to compete in the speed events for the relocated World Cup Finals.
    The FIS will announce a decision about the World Cup Finals Friday morning Central European Time.

^^^ Dang.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Lets hope this race happens

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 7.53.56 AM.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	543.6 KB 
ID:	319834
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Lets hope this race happens
    NOPE, Ĺre races are canceled. Federica Brignone wins the Overall Globe and GS Globe, and Petra Vlhova wins the SL Globe.

FUCNFUC
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

A big * on this season. Happy for Federica though. Don't think Mikaela is too concerned about this ending.

Quote Originally Posted by patxi View Post
    A big * on this season. Happy for Federica though. Don't think Mikaela is too concerned about this ending.
    agreed -- I am actually relieved :

What If MS had been injured in Are , Not - in - form …

This season was fine - And Different - through January -- the last month of racing lost to her Dad's death ( No shame in that ) and the last two weeks of the season(,) lost to a global Health issue. . .

I hope MS returns. but If she doesn't, I am not sure there has been a better six year run... ( Ingemar 1977 - 1983 ? )

Do what you need to do, MS : You have been Awesome ! !!!

tj

I would’ve just like to watch another week of the girls race. Great season
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Great season, wish this Are race happened but understand why not.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Super Bummer. Wishing Mikaela and all the athletes good health.

Following her on social media is weird these days, having this little window into her grief.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Following her on social media is weird these days, having this little window into her grief.
    Agree. I started following her to see her training and stuff and now this.

MS and Jessie Diggins auctioning items for Kindness in crisis:

https://m.charityauctionstoday.com/m...is-11029/items

article yesterday on Bleacher Report --

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...breakable-bond

Be well,
    ( please) Be Safe...

peace. tj
    Last edited by skiJ; 06-11-2020 at 09:23 AM.

An Unbreakable Bond
    by Mirin Fader

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...breakable-bond

( (I'm) sorry - internet has been a little sketchy the last three months... Here is the link )

Godspeed, Shiffrin Family -
    Last edited by skiJ; 06-11-2020 at 09:25 AM.