Page 25 of 107 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Shiffrin

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BTa7a2agEWj/

Check out this little 10yr old slaying the SL. That was basically Shiffrin while Lindsey Kildow was throwing a temper tantrum on the side of the course after a DNF.

That kid is going to be something!
    Meh, her inside hand is back too far.

Kidding! That kid is getting those skis on edge!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    ...to prevent any undue confusion, I am not him.
    Every time you open your mouth she wins another World Cup race.

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Every time you open your mouth she wins another World Cup race.
    I doubt it is causal, but were it to be, that's great. I think she's great. I think she and her parents and her whole team are great.

I just happen to agree with, for instance, Dwyer, that there have been better natural athletes through e.g. Burke.

Again, it is a compliment. Part of the reaction here probably is rooted in the implications, though, including that talent is to a large degree a choice, not a gift of birth, at least for those currently able to ski regularly.

I doubt it is causal, but were it to be, that's great. I think she's great. I think she and her parents and her whole team are great.

I just happen to agree with, for instance, Dwyer, that there have been better natural athletes through e.g. Burke.

Again, it is a compliment. Part of the reaction here probably is rooted in the implications, though, including that talent is to a large degree a choice, not a gift of birth, at least for those currently able to ski regularly.
    It's not a compliment, it sounds stupid. How can she not be a world class athlete?

To be at the top, you have to have incredible talent, train hard, lift weights, eat well, be lucky, etc.

If you miss one of these things, well, there are other people who will take your place.

Give it up!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    It's not a compliment, it sounds stupid. How can she not be a world class athlete?

Give it up!

Where did I say she's not a world class athlete?

I have repeatedly said she's a phenom, she's great, her parents and team are great.

I have also said she's not a great natural athlete, as regards her physical gifts versus those of her competitors.

I am not talking her down, I am simply acknowledging and complimenting the fact that she got to where she is through hard work and dedication, again including that of her parents and broader team.

Ok, you have the last word.

Yes we understand you don’t think she’s a great natural athlete and we think you’re a fucking idiot. I think this is well established.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    What numbers are you referring to? I hope your source isn't the video.
    Again Ghostofseasonspast, what is your source for her numbers and what "numbers" are you speaking of. You seem to be implying that you know her and her team.

I spent several years at Mike Boyles Strength and Conditioning, a highly respected S&C gym. I saw college and pro athletes in all 4 major sports and others, Olympians, crew, tennis, judo etc. I also saw a ton of teens and kids come in to a weight room for the first time. Almost every teenage girl after puberty that came in couldn't do a pull up without specific training.

Every good coach I know will tell you that weight room numbers are one of the worst indicators of natural athleticism. When they talk about natural athleticism they refer to agility, power generation, speed, quickness, and body control. Additionally, one of the least talked about components of an athlete is their ability to respond and progress through training. Some are fast adapters and others are slow adapters. Who is going to be the better athlete, the girl who can do a strict pullup without training but maxes out 1 year later at 3 with a 25lb weight or the girl who can't do a strict pullup but can do 4 with a 45lb weight 1 year later?

The best natural athlete I ever saw was a guy trying to make the NFL as a CB. He and I were of similar strength but his athleticism was orders of magnitude better than mine. He made a practice squad for two years but that was it. The fact that you reference a pull up as an indicator of athleticism tells me you don't know what you are talking about.

A quick Google shows that 5 or so years ago, she did an interview talking about how she had worked on doing pull ups in the last year. So as a 16 year old she couldn't, as a 17 year old she could. Which tells us nothing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    A quick Google shows that 5 or so years ago, she did an interview talking about how she had worked on doing pull ups in the last year. So as a 16 year old she couldn't, as a 17 year old she could. Which tells us nothing.
    Actually, it tells us that, at an age where she was already a world-class, great skier, she was below 85th percentile for that metric of strength for girls her age, as of the last time those numbers were validated. That itself is information-rich, as now she is up at rounding error numbers for that same metric. She didn't get there because she was always naturally strong when it came to pull ups, she got there because she identified a weakness and set out, in a targeted and disciplined way, to address it.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    ... Every good coach I know will tell you that weight room numbers are one of the worst indicators of natural athleticism. When they talk about natural athleticism they refer to agility, power generation, speed, quickness, and body control. Additionally, one of the least talked about components of an athlete is their ability to respond and progress through training. Some are fast adapters and others are slow adapters ...
    ^^^ This ^^^
    Especially for skill sports (i.e. not running, etc.), the ability to recruit/program new neural pathways to learn or adapt new techniques is key (agility, quickness, body control/kinesthetic awareness).

Obviously a genetic predisposition toward power/explosiveness is important as well.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Actually, it tells us that, at an age where she was already a world-class, great skier, she was below 85th percentile for that metric of strength for girls her age, as of the last time those numbers were validated. That itself is information-rich, as now she is up at rounding error numbers for that same metric. She didn't get there because she was always naturally strong when it came to pull ups, she got there because she identified a weakness and set out, in a targeted and disciplined way, to address it.
    Shouldn’t you be teaching old ladies how to dolphin turn today???

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i bet he aint pilfering 1/2 bottles of cheap banquet wine while moonlighting as a server
    that shit will get ya pink slip and blacklisted
    from the corp
    i hopes she stays healthy and continues to crush it
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

WTF does pullup strength have to do with ski racing?
    I'm asking this of everyone other than DouchebagOfAliaiPast.

I'm guessing he's another Rog alias - or maybe Pudwhacker.
    Whoever - GTFO

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post

Whoever - GTFO
    You think her coaches made a mistake in helping her on that? Pretty funny.

I have a feeling you're just a sexist know-it-all with too fragile of a ego to admit that these girls would completely fucking destroy you on the ski hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post

Whoever - GTFO
    Well, to have a physically balanced body is important to most athletes. But it has to do with making her even slightly better at something she's already a natural at: ski racing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

What part of "I'm not asking you" is confusing?
    Fuckin dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Fortunately for her she skis with her legs. Those gams are amazing. Crack your head like a walnut if it got between there.

Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Fortunately for her she skis with her legs.
    Not entirely.

In part that explains the pull ups. In addition to what the pull ups help unlock in other ways. But, she wasn't a weekend warrior whose CrossFit coach egged her into pull ups. So, the question of why that as one focus, of several, is a good one.

Not entirely.

In part that explains the pull ups. In addition to what the pull ups help unlock in other ways. But, she wasn't a weekend warrior whose CrossFit coach egged her into pull ups. So, the question of why that as one focus, of several, is a good one.
    Can you just please go away? This thread is about Ms. Shiffren killing it on the World Cup. You on the other hand are a putz.

Not entirely.

Jesus Christ you are obtuse. Pullups or some downward pulling motion is a part of almost any athletes training program. What major muscle group can be neglected by any athlete? You started this by stating that her inability to do a pullup was evidence that she wasnt a great natural athlete. Pullups are a terrible indicator for athleticism. Again, what "numbers" are you referring to? Do you have any evidence that she is not a natural athlete other than her inability to do a strict pullup as a teenager, which she quickly changed, or that she couldnt land a front flip on the first try? Is that really the crux of your arguement?Dominating a global sport from age 14 onward is less of an athletic feat than doing a pullup?

Kevin Durant couldn't bench press 135lbs when he entered the NBA, he must not be a natural athlete either.

This thread used to be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

^^^Yup. For my part, gonna stop feeding trolls
    THIS MESSAGE IS HIDDEN BECAUSE GHOSTOFSEASONPAST IS ON YOUR IGNORE LIST

Much better...