Level 1 Avi Class in Southern CA

I though I would post up some information regarding a Level 1 Avalanche course is being offered in Southern CA on January 15, 17, 19, and 20th. The class will consist of two nights of classroom lectures on January 15th and 17th from 6:00-10:00pm in Claremont with the field sessions being held at Mt. Baldy on January 19th and 20th from 8:00am - 4:00pm. The cost for the entire class is $165. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or you can email me at avalanche@socalnsp.org. Below you will find a link for the course registration page.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FCT3c6MA#gid=0

AGENDA
    Tuesday Evening Classroom Session
    Time Topic/Activity Location Instructor
    6:00-6:10 Introductions Classroom
    6:10-6:35 1: Avalanche Fundamentals Classroom
    6:35-7:00 2A: Avalanche Triangle – Weather Classroom
    7:00-7:35 2B: Avalanche Triangle – Snowpack Classroom
    7:35-7:45 Break
    7:45-8:05 2C: Avalanche Triangle – Terrain Classroom
    7:30-8:10 3: Snow Mechanics/Avalanche dynamics Classroom
    8:10-8:25 4: Stability Evaluation* Classroom
    8:25-8:55 5: Human Factors Classroom
    8:55-9:00 Recap & Feedback Classroom
    * Topic to be treated mainly in the field sessions

Thursday Evening Classroom Session
    Time Topic Location Instructor
    6:00-6:20 6A: Principles of Route Selection and Travel Classroom
    6:20-7:00 6B: Backcountry Travel Planning Classroom
    6:35-7:15 6C: Decision Making Classroom
    7:15-7:20 Break
    7:20-7:35 6D: Self Rescue & Survival Classroom
    7:45-8:10 7A: Principles of Immediate Search Classroom
    8:10-8:25 7B: Avalanche Transceivers* Classroom
    8:25-8:35 7C/D: Probing & Shoveling* Classroom
    8:35-8:55 7E: Special Medical Considerations Classroom
    8:55-9:00 Recap & Feedback Classroom
    * Topics to be treated mainly in the field sessions

Saturday All-Day Field Session
    9:00-9:15 Morning Brief Lodge
    9:15-10:15 Activity 1: Avalanche Transceivers Field
    10:15-11:00 Activity 2: Probing and Shoveling Field
    11:00-Noon Activity 3: Avalanche Terrain Recognition Field
    Noon-12:45 Lunch
    12:45-1:30 Activity 4: Snowpack Observations & Stability Tests Field
    1:30-2:30 Activities 5 & 6: Route Selection & Travel; Integrated Hazard Assessment Field
    2:30-3:30 Activity 7: Companion Rescue Exercise #1 Field
    3:30-4:00 Recap Lodge

Sunday All-Day Field Session
    9:00-9:15 Morning Brief Lodge
    9:15-10:00 Activity 1b: Transceiver Practice Field
    10:00-Noon Activity 5, 6,& 7: Route Selection, Travel and Hazard Assessment; Immediate Search Exercise #2 Field
    Noon-12:45 Lunch
    12:45-1:00 Topic 8A: Principles of Organized Rescue* Field
    1:00-1:15 Topic 8B: Avalanche Rescue Plans* Field
    1:15-1:30 Topic 8C: Rescue Teamwork* Field
    1:30-2:00 Topic 9: Personnel Safety in Rescue Operations Field
    2:00-3:00 Activity 8: Organized Rescue Simulation Field
    3:00-4:00 Final Exam & Course Evaluation Lodge
    *Field review of topics treated in homework

Looks like the Burbank classroom sessions were cancelled? Ah well, will have to get off work that much sooner.

Sorry 1000-Oaks. I have a ton of Baldy Kooks who are taking the class and keeping it in Claremont just made sense. February class will be even further away down in Carlsbad. I hope you can make it.

Thanks Jeff, signed up. Whyturn might attend as well.

Assume we need all three texts for the class? Are these provided or do we need to get them ahead of time?

Snow Sense 5th Addition
    Avalanche Rescue Quick Guide
    NSP Backcountry Avalanche Safety: A Level 1 Summary
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-24-2012 at 07:53 PM.

All the books and materials are included in the cost. See you on the 15th.

This sounds great and close to me. But serious question guys - if there isn't a decent amount of snow at Baldy at that point will the field sessions be of much value? Would I learn more taking Avy 1 in a place like Mammoth with more snow and layers to examine / learn about?

Who is teaching the class, and what is their experience/credentials? I have my Avy 1, but have been considering refreshing it, and will be in the area on those dates.

Interested and will review info, thanks for posting
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by calisnow View Post
    This sounds great and close to me. But serious question guys - if there isn't a decent amount of snow at Baldy at that point will the field sessions be of much value? Would I learn more taking Avy 1 in a place like Mammoth with more snow and layers to examine / learn about?
    If you've got the time & $200 more for the course, plus gas & lodging, sure.

Davieboot,

Jeff Pierce (srface_hoar) and Keith Church will be teaching the Level 1 course. We both have 20+ years of ski patrolling and backcountry skiing experience with over 15 years each teaching level 1 and level 2 AAA courses. I am sure there are some mags out there who have taken one of our courses and can provide their take on the course. Feel free to PM me and I send you my phone number if you would like to talk about the course in more detail.

Calisnow,

Great question regarding snow at Baldy. We will be off of the North side of Baldy and currently they have 12+ inches and are expecting more snow before the class begins. We will see some different layers throughout the snowpack; however, we certainly will not see the complexity that currently exists in the Sierras. With that in mind, a Level 1 class will focus more on decision making, route selection, group dynamics, and the rescue aspect. While we certainly will dig pits, look at crystals, and go through the various stability tests, the ability to use those skill sets as part of your overall decision making process will be developed over time and with experience and are a big part of a level 2 class.

We have a number of options if for some reason we do not have enought natural snow. Keith and I are teaching additional Level 1 classes in Feb (classroom in Carlsbad) and March (Classroom in Claremont and field session at Mt. High East Government Canyon area) and all are welcome to attend those field sessions as well. PM me if you have and additional quesitons and I will provide you with my phone number.

But serious question guys - if there isn't a decent amount of snow at Baldy at that point will the field sessions be of much value?
    Snow conditions can't get much worse than last year and srface_hoar did a good job of improvising. They offered several field sessions for the class to choose from once the snow did fly.

srface_hoar, If I recall correctly Avy 2 is every other year and not available this year? I'd like to jump in that class whenever you guys have the next one. If Avy2 is next year, then is there a possibility to sign up for just the field session (avy 1) this year to refresh on some of the info?

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by srface_hoar View Post

Jeff Pierce (srface_hoar) and Keith Church will be teaching the Level 1 course. We both have 20+ years of ski patrolling and backcountry skiing experience with over 15 years each teaching level 1 and level 2 AAA courses.

There is no such thing as a "AAA course," rather there are AAA suggested course guidelines and a course progression for course providers in the US to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by lvsper View Post
    Hi,

There is no such thing as a "AAA course," rather there are AAA suggested course guidelines and a course progression for course providers in the US to follow.
    Lvsper,

This course follows the AAA guidelines in accordance to the MOU with AAA and the NSP. I hope that provides some clarity. Just to be clear this is not an AIARE course.

Quote Originally Posted by srface_hoar View Post
    This course follows the AAA guidelines in accordance to the MOU with AAA and the NSP. I hope that provides some clarity. Just to be clear this is not an AIARE course.

The clarity is that there is no such thing as an "AAA course" for L1 and L2 (AVPro is a different beast, and is run by the AAA).

The AAA provides a course progression and course guidelines, which any legitimate course provider in the US follows.

The NSP is a course provider, companies that teach to the AIARE curriculum are course providers. There is no distinction in that regard; rather, any distinction lies with the quality of the course provider itself.

There is no MOU between the NSP and the AAA; the NSP curriculum was reworked in a few years ago (when the new AIM was published) to have said NSP curriculum adhere to AAA guidelines.

^^^Well, that clears things up, but a few more acronyms would help

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

WTF
    AAA is insurance
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

As long as there is knowledge & experience to be gained, I really don't care what organization puts its stamp on the course.

^It is the only avy class that I have taken but the instructors seemed very knowledgeable. Keith was and probably still is patrolling at baldy, so he and srface_hoar know those peaks inside and out. They also had a lot of knowledge about other BC spots outside of socal too (their level II field session last year was at LVSSR). I took a lot of info away from the class and I also realized that I have a lot more to learn. For me, it was well worth the money.

Has anyone taken the AIARE1 with Howie Schwartz? Trying to figure out which group to take it with. Sierra Mountain Guides or Sierra Mountain Center.. I'm leaning towards SMC

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app

You can't go wrong with either. I have a preference for SMC as I know both Howie and Neal. Just my 2 cents.

You mean preference with SMG. Howie is with SMG

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app

Yes, I meant SMG. Sierras are interesting this year with a shallow snowpack. Should be a good course. You will probably have to travel a little further to get into adequate snow at high elevations. Enjoy the class.