Cricket Trailers - Is this the best RV-esque option out there?

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artatt...nimalist_v.php

http://www.crickettrailer.com/

So Im seriously contemplating buying one of these rigs, most likely one of the more bare bones models as I already have the ARB fridge, etc and dont want to sleep in a box with a porta potty in it. But otherwise I think this thing is awesome all around. Notably that it could be towed by the Subaru if need be and Im not going 4 wheeling.

Anyone have any experience with these?
    Live Free or Die

I think they're cool and the features are pretty kickass. But there's a lot of camping-type trailers out there (albeit none with such a high wow factor) and many of them have been made for years and years. Some of them are really havy-duty, suitable for towing behind a jeep while 'wheeling, which it doesn't seem like this one is (I know you said you're not going 'wheeling but maybe those ones are a lot tougher in general?). The biggest worry for me would be durability and company support after the sale. They sound great but how does it handle the real world? Don't know the answer to that.

Besides I think I'd rather have an Airsteam, but that's me.

what makes it better than a scamp or a casita or any old pop-up? Not saying they're not cool or great, but those are the questions you should be asking.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Ive looked at the 4x4 trailers as that would be ideal, but balk when its basically a 5x8 utlity trailer with a couple storage boxes and a tent on top. Plus they cost the same. I like that I can actually sleep inside this thing, and possibly have some headroom at 6'3" unlike a Scamp or something of that ilk. Plus being able to be towed by a Subaru is a bonus, not sure how that plays out in the real world as you mention though.

Edit: Ive grown up with pop-ups, I think they are terrible. Always mildew infested, infuriating to put up, etc. THis seems to alleviate those factors to a degree.
    Live Free or Die

pretty cool. I have a euro van, and am pretty happy with that. But they are getting hard to find. This might fit the bill when the van dies.

my daughter would be crazy about those hanging cots!

Didn't see any winter shots with it. Is it insulated?

Only downside that jumps out at me, other than $14k, is the pop-up feature will prevent it from using hard-side only campgrounds around here, prolly not a big deal...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Weight is only one consideration for towing; frontal area (wind resistance) is another. That looks like a fairly large box for towing behind a Subaru or comparable car.

1300# quoted weight -- is that dry weight? (no water, battery, propane, or any gear) Expect the actual weight to increase by 400-600# when loaded.

I'd want to see one in person before buying it, particularly to inspect the door & rear hatch seals (odd-shaped openings; definitely not standard RV doors).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Looks interesting
    Look at T@B, http://tab-rv.com/ seemed a better deal

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

That looks really tight inside. We have an old Burro - like a Scamp. It's about the same weight and I think bigger inside - sleeps 4, has sink and stove, plenty of storage, etc. That one's unique, but I don't know how much value you're getting for your money. Ours was $2200, although it did take some fixing up inside, and fiberglass is light, tough and the egg-style trailers seem to hold their value well. But you'll definitely get some looks in that.