Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Shark is basically a vacuum distilled down to its essential components and function.
    A motor.
    A hose.
    A handle.
    A bag.
    A beater bar.
    Nothing more. Nothing less.
    No sound dampening.
    No motor or fan efficiencies.
    Pulls lots of amps, makes lots of noise, looks like dollar store plastic.
    Does the job and stows in the closet pretty nice.

What I don't get is how all those little vacuum shops that sell 1980's Filter Queen and various European vacuum brands stay in business.
    It's like a Volkswagen camper-van cult, but with vacuums.
    Some people buy one vac for their entire life. My grandmother had a rainbow that was about 50 years old when replaced. Serviced over years at minimal cost. You know back when they made products that lasted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Some people buy one vac for their entire life. My grandmother had a rainbow that was about 50 years old when replaced. Serviced over years at minimal cost. You know back when they made products that lasted.
    Couple of years ago when we needed a vacuum, ended up buying a refurbished Simplicty from the local vacuum shop. New they're really expensive, but refurbished it was cheaper than a Dyson. The thing sucks like a champ, and I'm pretty sure if my house collapsed, that vacuum would roll away unscathed.

I am still rocking a Kenmore canister I bought in 1990. Refuses to die. I seriously doubt they build them that well anymore....not sure if you can buy them anymore with Sears in the grave.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Couple of years ago when we needed a vacuum, ended up buying a refurbished Simplicty from the local vacuum shop. New they're really expensive, but refurbished it was cheaper than a Dyson. The thing sucks like a champ, and I'm pretty sure if my house collapsed, that vacuum would roll away unscathed.
    Refurb rainbows go for a grand sometimes. They are a pain but clean great. I sold mine for about $500 after $100 service. That person got a screaming deal. Rainbow said they would give $1k trade in but new models can go into 2500-3k. Yes it's a vacuum not a motorcycle.

I wonder if there's some kind of shared ownership vacuum solution that would work for the OP?

suckstogo.com?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

sucks to go where?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Refurb rainbows go for a grand sometimes. They are a pain but clean great. I sold mine for about $500 after $100 service. That person got a screaming deal. Rainbow said they would give $1k trade in but new models can go into 2500-3k. Yes it's a vacuum not a motorcycle.

i don't know about now but rainbow was mlm sales. They suckered my sister into doing a door to door sales route back in the early eighties. they were being sold for $1100 or some crazy shit like that.

she sold one. to my mom.

still works good.

Some people buy one vac for their entire life. My grandmother had a rainbow that was about 50 years old when replaced. Serviced over years at minimal cost. You know back when they made products that lasted. TGR Forums mobile app
    My father still uses the filter queen mom purchased in 1970. Attachments and rubber bumpers are a bit rough, but the motor and such are still perfect.

My wife bought a shark. I am not sold. It's a pain to use. And you basically need a second vac to get the filter clean.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    My father still uses the filter queen mom purchased in 1970. Attachments and rubber bumpers are a bit rough, but the motor and such are still perfect.
    Mom and pop had the Filter Queen sales guy come to our home for the big sales presentation. Was really cool to hear all the features/benefits spiel and of course, the mandatory suction test with a 5 pin bowling ball. That and ... the Encyclopedia Britannica sales guy. Dad went with a house-in-wall vac installation. But we did get the Deluxe Brittanica Leather-Bound Extreme Red Bull Encyclopedia set.
    ... but ya, they still sell a good selection of used Filter Queens up the street. They made stuff that lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    My wife bought a shark. I am not sold. It's a pain to use. And you basically need a second vac to get the filter clean.
    In the natural environment, sharks are often followed by a small school of Remoras. They, along with Pilot Fish, ensure that the sharks are cleaned of smaller food items and unwanted parasites that the shark is unable to remove themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    If there comes a day in my life where I "love" a vacuum... hopefully someone will slap me upside my muthafukin' head.
    Frank covered it and apparently if you want an appliance to love you

you will have to learn a foreign language ... german for instance ?

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

i have the basic or one above basic Simplicity. Made in missouri convinced me at the time, but it clogs constantly w dog hair and is a pain to use the hose w accessories. i support Made in USA but not if it sucks!!

isn't it supposed to suck?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yeah if it blows that's an issue.