Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    ^^^^^ Based on your comments I looked at the Shark vacuums on Amazon. Found likely the most expensive one and read the recent reviews. Lots of motors crapping out after 5 months. Knock on wood, I have never had that issue with the 2 Dysons I have had. So I will keep buying the canister Animal from them. YRMV

Edit to add: I just read the recent reviews on the top of the line Dyson and they were really under whelming also. I guess I better find an older Animal on sale and buy a back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I've got an older (ten years-ish) Purple Dyson Pet that I never use; anybody near Bend, OR wants it, its yours.

I keep reading it as Best vacuum for the monkey.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    ^^^^^ Based on your comments I looked at the Shark vacuums on Amazon. Found likely the most expensive one and read the recent reviews. Lots of motors crapping out after 5 months.
    Motor on our Shark shit the bed this week. The light still turns on but other than that she's deader than a doornail.

I don't know if someone already posted this but CR likes Sharks for performance and reliability. We used to have one, don't know what happened to it. We have a Dyson and several parts have broken over the years, including the main tube. Not hard to replace but still . . .

Anyone have any recs for a decent dustbuster? Just need a little handheld thing for small messes and cleaning up around the wood stove.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Anyone have any recs for a decent dustbuster? Just need a little handheld thing for small messes and cleaning up around the wood stove.
    I’ve tried a few; most are junk. But I really like this one; Home Depot, pretty cheap:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1572572621.243719.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	300390

find a cordless one from whichever brand of cordless tools you have. should be dirt cheap since you already have the batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    find a cordless one from whichever brand of cordless tools you have. should be dirt cheap since you already have the batteries.
    I'm on the Milwaukee system, which is great. But their vacuum is kinda weird - not sure it's what I want. Looks like I'll have to compare it to the Shark.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I don't know if someone already posted this but CR likes Sharks for performance and reliability. We used to have one, don't know what happened to it. We have a Dyson and several parts have broken over the years, including the main tube. Not hard to replace but still . . .
    It had not been but this is CR consensus. But yeah...keep lining Dysons pockets for a shit product that you're paying for R&D so they can make hair care products....

Even if one shark only last 5 years, buying 2 in that timeline for the price of one Dyson that might last 10 years seems like the logical thing to do.

Or just get a really really high end like rainbow/kirby/etc and repair it over and over when service is required.

Skidog, do you own stock in Shark? Did Dyson fire you from your dream job?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

A baby shark? *ducks*

We’ve been happy with the Dyson cordless vacs. The V8 animal has better battery life than previous models. I doubt I would pay full retail, but got a good deal on a new one from Craigslist.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have a Kirby and some Hoover shitbox vacuum.

The Kirby is an appliance with wheels, god dam Cadillac of vacuum cleaners, heavy as shit.

I only use the Hoover and the Roomba.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Just get a small 1-2 gallon handheld shop vac and call it good. They never get clogged with dog hair, there's all sorts of cheap attachments so you can get into corners and under things, no moving bits to go bad, they're cheap and they just work. That's it, they just work.

I have the cheapest Miele. Love it, never going back. We have hardwood and no dogs though. Got a small deal on an older model. Had it for 6 years and worth every penny.

I got this one from B&D at Walmart.
    https://www.blackanddecker.com/produ...r/hhvk515bpf07

Lots of suction. It has a brush head for vacuuming pet hair, but I usually take that off and use it like a normal dustbuster.

Buy one from Costco. They'll take back vacuums beyond manufacturer warranty, even by years. They work it out with the manufacturer for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Skidog, do you own stock in Shark? Did Dyson fire you from your dream job?
    naaa but i equate the company with the likes of Musk and I hate that snake oil salesman...I think dyson is basically snake oil..when it first hit the scene it was "the only one like it" but at the same time others were also working on like designs...Dyson charges a premium where it isnt deserved IMHO....had i not tried one I wouldnt have such a strong opinion, but since I have owned a couple and their competition I feel I can speak well on the subject.

If you noticed there are many many chiming in here about the Shark they bought and love. I am hardly the only one...possibly the most vocal, but i am avoiding working so....

If there comes a day in my life where I "love" a vacuum... hopefully someone will slap me upside my muthafukin' head.

Vacuum loving seems like a good way to damage your pecker.

Vacuum loving seems like a good way to damage your pecker.
    but they suck so good.

I got a cordless Shark not too long ago. They have (had?) interest free financing. I like it. Only complaint is it doesn't do particularly well in very, thick, shaggy rugs.

Batteries last a long time, quick recharging and you get two of them. Felt like a decent purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I’ve tried a few; most are junk. But I really like this one; Home Depot, pretty cheap:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1572572621.243719.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	300390
    How does it handle post-mauling detritus?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Shark is basically a vacuum distilled down to its essential components and function.
    A motor.
    A hose.
    A handle.
    A bag.
    A beater bar.
    Nothing more. Nothing less.
    No sound dampening.
    No motor or fan efficiencies.
    Pulls lots of amps, makes lots of noise, looks like dollar store plastic.
    Does the job and stows in the closet pretty nice.

What I don't get is how all those little vacuum shops that sell 1980's Filter Queen and various European vacuum brands stay in business.
    It's like a Volkswagen camper-van cult, but with vacuums.