Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Best Vacuum for the money. Gonna buy one ASAP

Tech Talk wont get me immediate exposure. Last thread I found was from 2007.

I am impulsive and need a vacuum. What's the best for the money. Going to buy one in the next half hour or so. Dyson? Which Dyson? Read some amazon reviews and there is about a 50-100 dollar difference on the models, which is moderately negligible depending upon how well each one works. A decent amount of dog hair around here, but not insane. We need a good one, so not overly concerned with $, but dont want to get hosed. Any other recos besides Dyson?

A used Kirby G series. Buy a refurb off ebay if you need to hurry. I bought a G10 Sentria for $100 and also have a G4. Nothing beats a Kirby. They are heavy so it depends on what you need it for. I also have a Royal canister for portability.

Get this one:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/hsh/3485837456.html
    Last edited by 4matic; 12-18-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Some of the Dysons aren't reviewed so well. Hoover sells refurbs direct for cheap money.

spook Guest
    did you check out consumer reports online? i'm sure they have tests and ratings of vacuum cleaners. you may need to fork out $10 or something or it may be free.

That Kirby looks like a winner.

spook Guest
    oh i missed the half hour bit

Spook, was hoping TGR would be my consumer report. Dont mind spending the money for good info but figured I would start here.

Mazderati, yeah heard some bad reviews but heard the customer service was great. And that in some instances it was tough to beat the dyson.

Kirbys better than dyson? Thanks 4matic.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    oh i missed the half hour bit
    Its an admittedly stupid timeline, but I end up overdoing it if I extend my vetting. Too mired. Want some decent info, add it to my already gleaned info, and want to make a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Spook, was hoping TGR would be my consumer report. Dont mind spending the money for good info but figured I would start here.

Mazderati, yeah heard some bad reviews but heard the customer service was great. And that in some instances it was tough to beat the dyson.

Kirbys better than dyson? Thanks 4matic.
    http://www.greatvacs.com/education/K...uumReview.html

They all suck, some brands better and longer than others out there.

I was in this boat. I dont know what the best Vacuum is.

This one
    http://www.bissell.com/heavy-duty-vacuum/

I looked at cost / features.

I bought a Bissel Heavy Duty. Its was 1 price point below the most expencive vacuum @ the Wall Mart.

I have had it just over a year now, I am happy. It works real good, pretty easy to use, Its kinda hard to shake all the dirt out of the Removable dirt stoarge heppa thingy, But it's is a good vacuum.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

spook Guest
    my next one will be sealed. if it's not, it's just sucking in a bunch of big shit and blowing out a bunch of little shit. like the unsealed ones that say they have a "hepa filter." yeah, they have a shitty hepa-TYPE filter, but since the rest of the machine has enormous gaps everywhere it makes no difference.

Look for Kirbys on Craigslist. There are shittons of them because they're heavy as fuck and they never die.

If anyone figures out the end-all to a dog hair killing vacuum, please let me know. I could harvest a nice sweater worth of dog hair around here by the week.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

This forum is really going down the tubes... electrolux or nothing.

Literally just picked one up for $179 tonight. Housekeeper endorsed.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I grew up with a Kirby. Parents had one since I was born until I was in college. Got tired of lugging it around and switched to something more lightweight. They may look old-school, but that's a good thing as they are pretty much indestructible and pretty powerful. Don't buy one new though, because they cost a bloody fortune.

When I moved for like the 4th time within a year last year, I needed yet another vacuum, so I ran to Costco and bought the Electrolux Oxygen Canister:
    http://www.amazon.com/Electrolux-Oxy...ef=pd_sbs_hg_1
    Along with these bags: http://www.amazon.com/Electrolux-s-b...dp/B00026730C/
    I have 2 big dogs who shed a ton, and it does a great job. Carpet looks great and the place still smells like new.

It's no Kirby, but since I got it for under $300 at Costco, I'm not going to complain. I will say this much, it does WAY better than my Dyson DC-14 Animal ever did. It also does a better job than our very expensive Riccar does. I think I'll buy another Electrolux canister vacuum, since I'm a canister convert now. I like it way more than any upright I've ever had.

This thread sucks!!!

sorry, couldn't help myself

use bed, bath & beyond 20% off coupon for Dyson.

dc23 or dc33 multifloor. pick "animal" if you have animals.

Meile vacuum.The very best .German based but expensive .

I hate vacuuming , but don't mid as much with my
    Meile . Powerful , hepa filter , etc .

I've had it for 7? yrs , it still is very powerful , and compact too .

if you can justify it u won't regret it ....

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ec...1#.UNGzmOTAed8

Go on and get all fancy if you want but a decent small shop vac will far outlast all of those others that have been mentioned except maybe a Kirby. We have dogs and kids and this thing has been bombproof. Cheap too.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    This forum is really going down the tubes... electrolux or nothing.

Literally just picked one up for $179 tonight. Housekeeper endorsed.
    QFT. I have a 30yo Electrolux in my basement and the only reason we stopped using it was because we had an Electrolux central vacuum installed a few years back.

About a year ago I was also looking for a cansiter vacuum that really sucked. I narrowed it down to 2, Miele (S2 momentum, called something different in merica) and Dyson. Both were around $600 in Canuck Bucks.

Price wise, they are similar. I tried them both and came to the following conclusions.

Miele:

Pro's
    -this thing really sucks!
    -excellent edge cleaning
    -3 wheels, just as good as the dyson ball.
    -can get a HEPA model or just a HEPA filter
    -cleaned more junk out of the carpet after the dyson had gone over it
    -10 year warranty, built in Germany
    -long handle, I'm 195cm and it's comfortable to use
    -bag change is quick and not dirty as bag seals itself when removed from vacuum
    -comes with powerbrush and a shit tonne of attachments

Cons
    -very short chord
    -have to change bags (2/year for us and we have 2 cats and 80% carpet)
    -flips on its side if you pull it around too hard

Dyson:

Pros
    -no bags to change (but emptying the canister is a messy job, wear a mask!)
    -no loss of suction as the bag fills
    -futuristic looking with cyclone magic

Cons
    -only a 5 year warranty
    -friends who own one usually break a plastic part or two, lots of plastic to break and parts take a while to obtain
    -not that good on the edge cleaning
    -left behind debris that the miele picked up

I went with the Miele for a few reasons. The 10 year warranty was a good selling point. Product history proved well too. My parents have had a Miele dishwasher since the early 90's. It was more expensive than comparable models, but to this day it has never needed repair.

A year later this vacuum still sucks!

We got a Miele- It is literally a once in a lifetime purchase, so just get the best and don't worry about it again.
    Just find a good dealer near you. They will steer you right.

The Miele just feels right. It is light, handles fit your hands, everything is engineered perfectly. Freakin' Germans. They thought of everything. Expect to be set back at least $1100. Cheaper than a timeshare.

I've had a Dyson Ball for 6 to 8 years. I also have 2 dogs and a cat. The only part I've replaced on my Dyson is the beater brush. The vac gets used weekly and works great. We have an outdoor garbage can so emptying the canister is painless and dustless. I also have their cordless model and it has also held up great. When the vacs get really dirty, I pull them all the way apart and flush everything but the electrics with water, makes them like new.

Kirbys are bulletproof, but also heavy as hell. I wouldn't get one if I had to lug it up and down stairs repeatedly.

I get that these super expensive vacs like a Kirby (and I guess Miele) will last a lifetime, but then again they cost 10X what a standard vacuum does. How many vacuums are you going to buy in your lifetime even if you go with a cheap one? Two or three?