'new' 1985 film of Edward Abbey

link

pretty damn cool...

“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.”

“How to Overthrow the System: brew your own beer; kick in your Tee Vee; kill your own beef; build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it.”

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

“One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.”
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Great find, thanks for posting that. Despite many years of being an Ed Abbey fan, I don't think I've ever seen and heard him on screen before.

On our last visit to Arches, about 10 years ago, my wife humoured me and we sought out and drove the old entrance road in our Tacoma 4x4. I figured out the route from references in Abbey's books and using an older map. It was quite the adventure and I don't think Abbey's convertible would have made it through that day.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Thanks, loved it!
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post

“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.”
    LOL...Tell that to all the bloodsucking shitbags on Wall St.

Newly released letter of Ed's published here.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

My best friend Hayduke loved Ed. Me too.Read his books.They are still alive

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

So rad! I love his take on these places.
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.”
    Thanks for this Tye. I read Desert Solitaire when I was like 16 or 17 and it affected me in many ways (all good I think). I hadn't seen him on screen before either. Mr. Abbey was larger than life, here's a cool quote from him about death: "Death is every man's final critic. To die well you must live bravely."

Class act all the way.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Finstock View Post
    LOL...Tell that to all the bloodsucking shitbags on Wall St.
    And to the ski resort developers.

"Hey ranger, do you TV out here?"

"Mam, do you know what the principle of TV"

"Huh?"

"It's the vacuum tube. "

""Huh?"

"If you stick your head in a vacuum it sucks your brain out. "

My apologies to EA if I didn't get that exactly right.

I am a big fan, pretty read everything I can find by him. Even have a signed 1st ed. Monkey Wrench Gang. Hayduke truly does live

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Spot on Ed