Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Idaho Backcountry 12/13 - Stoke, Conditions, etc.

Searched and couldn't find anything similar so I made a new thread my apologies if this already exists because I sure can't find it.

Anyways, Post your photos, videos, stories, whatever from the Idaho backcountry as I absolutely am addicted to the terrain just north of Sun Valley, ID where I am located at the moment, and it truly seems endless out there! I would love to see what you guys are getting into and how the conditions are treating ya!

I will start with couple photos and videos from earlier in the year...

I sent the West face of Gladiator Pk on 11.25.12, here is a quick POV run I captured!

and I took this picture of my friend Parker Brown droppin' into our line..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gladchute2.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	380.9 KB 
ID:	127963

Early December got really good and we got after it! I went snowmobiling a couple times and of course got a lil' to rowdy and smashed er into a tree so I'm repairing some computer damage on my sled

And it continued to snow so we kept hiking and riding!
    I snapped these of my good buddy Michael Franco in one of our favorite zones!

Name:	gnar1.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	667.4 KB 
ID:	127960

Name:	gnarslashbig-682x1024.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	127961

And here is one of myself taken by TAL ROBERTS Photography sending some airtime off a BC booter I built up near 9,500ft just a few days ago!

Name:	JeremyLato-9562.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	623.0 KB 
ID:	127962

I'm sure some of you can easily recognize these spots haha!

Looks like another storm pattern is rollin' in over the weekend/early week, I got my fingers crossed for another 1-2ft which would be simply amazing since its been so good out there late Nov/early Dec.

Please share your experiences and comments appreciated, I'm also always looking for more people to enjoy this awesome terrain with and would love to swap ideas or collaborate on something as I always bring my camera along to film or shoot photos!

WHOOOO! Post up Idaho people lets get it going! Cheers to an epic beginning of the 12/13 winter season!!

Hey Jeremy nice work, looks like you guys are getting into some good terrain.

We've got an SV thread going for this year here which would be even better with your stoke attached, but of course you are welcome to do your own thing. Like you said, the more the merrier.

Stay safe out there and enjoy.

I think of nice wine, cheese, and old green leather chairs when I think of Sun Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Skier View Post
    Hey Jeremy nice work, looks like you guys are getting into some good terrain.

We've got an SV thread going for this year here which would be even better with your stoke attached, but of course you are welcome to do your own thing. Like you said, the more the merrier.

Stay safe out there and enjoy.
    Well shit didn't even see that! Funny though because I work with Clint on the SVSEF as a freeride/freestyle coach myself and Mince used to coach me way back in the day on the race team!! I will most def be posting SV stoke, etc in that thread!

I guess this thread was more in the direction of any and everyone else in the Idaho BC such as the sawtooths, lost rivers, anywhere in Idaho I was curious what everyone was getting into all over the great state of Idaho!!

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I think of nice wine, cheese, and old green leather chairs when I think of Sun Valley.
    That's the Sun Valley resort scene for sure haha couldn't agree more. That's also one of the reasons I enjoy being out in the backcountry 4-5 days out of the week. The surrounding mountains and people of Ketchum are truly awesome in my opinion. Lots of young, creative, outgoing and ambitious people here all very active and dedicated to what they do, otherwise the SV resort is hokey and fake as can be but I guess if you can afford that upper SV lifestyle and enjoy it then why not take advantage haha! Otherwise for everyone else we work hard and play harder!

Got out for the first time this season today. I've been nursing a knee injury, so I'm pretty stoked just to get back on my sticks.

Hit up Bogus Basin for three runs. Whiteout conditions completely sucked. However, I did get a few powder turns. Variable conditions included hardpack, boilerplate, and boot deep powder. Just plain weird.

Hoping for more snow and a giant volcanic event that will instantly add 2,000 more feet of vertical to Bogus Basin

i love idaho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could watch that gladiator peak run all day long. thanks for sharing.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

We skied this little gem a couple weeks ago.

My friend Brad making the first turn in.

The Idaho backcountry has been good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8305946058_baf01e77af_b.jpg 
Views:	851 
Size:	399.4 KB 
ID:	128707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8304898461_d23829c12c_b.jpg 
Views:	1301 
Size:	407.1 KB 
ID:	128708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8304957771_419f43c988_b.jpg 
Views:	802 
Size:	347.1 KB 
ID:	128709  
    Last edited by ski_faster; 12-24-2012 at 08:41 PM.

that looks marvelous what a cool chute

sweet!!!!!!!!!!!

yessir ski_faster that was a fun day....thanks!

Skiing this week sometime...Friday?

Merry Christmas to everyone!

word man SICK chute!! do you mind if i ask the name of that baby.. pm me?

Quote Originally Posted by ski_faster View Post
    We skied this little gem a couple weeks ago.
    Beautiful, is that view from galena pass? Was there a year ago and wondering if i saw that or something else

Whats up Idaho backcountry travellers.

Came here to see if any SV area mags would be interested in letting a dude from CO tag along on your next excursion. My family all lives in Ketchum, and I've been skiing the resort for as long as I can remember, but I'm afraid I'm a little short on B/C partners. It's pretty frustrating looking around at all of the surrounding terrain and knowing you have no way of safely getting out there.

If any of you guys would be comfortable with another head, please, please let me know. I'm AVY 1 certified with a couple years experience, and a W-EMT.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ski_faster View Post

Nice looking line. Is that a crown at the bottom of your pic? BTW, that ridge behind your line looks tasty as well.

Thanks for this thread. Hope it keep delivering. I'm interested in seeing more of what you got up there. I have a few friends in ID and eastern WA, so I may be lucky enough to find my way up there some day.

Could any of you send a recommendation or three for a noob's first touring attempts? We are good skiers, with very little winter bc experience, and none on skis. Some relatively straightforward tours near Boise are what we need.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

J-Munz, those two B&Ws you have in your original post, particularly the first one, are really great shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

always thought there was some dope looking terrain near Palisades reservoir, anyone yay or nay on that?
    long live the jahrator

Quote Originally Posted by totaliboard View Post
    always thought there was some dope looking terrain near Palisades reservoir, anyone yay or nay on that?
    Have done a few lines back in there. Would be helpful to have a sled. Check out Dean Lords et al's blog at http://eastidahooffpiste.wordpress.com/. They hit up that area pretty regularly.

We ran into a posse from that crew one day on our way to Little Sheep Creek Peak. Pulled their SUV out of the ditch with my subaru, then they hauled us all the way in behind their sled. Niiice!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Beautiful, is that view from galena pass? Was there a year ago and wondering if i saw that or something else
    I don't think you can see that shot from Galena pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Nice looking line. Is that a crown at the bottom of your pic? BTW, that ridge behind your line looks tasty as well.

Thanks for this thread. Hope it keep delivering. I'm interested in seeing more of what you got up there. I have a few friends in ID and eastern WA, so I may be lucky enough to find my way up there some day.
    Just a little cornice that we stomped on to see if we could get anything to go. Yeah that ridge has been on my list too. Might head back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    Could any of you send a recommendation or three for a noob's first touring attempts? We are good skiers, with very little winter bc experience, and none on skis. Some relatively straightforward tours near Boise are what we need.
    Pilots Peak would be an option.

great thread. would love to go tour out there sometime. you guys might be getting a pm this spring.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post

http://www.morescreeksummit.com/

^This blog has good info on changing snow/avalanche conditions as well as info and maps for routes. Look for posts about the Mores Creek Summit/Pilot Peak area.

Can anybody give me some beta on the best approach to the Sickle? Im more than willing to return the favor in Teton beta/beer/trailbreaking.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    Can anybody give me some beta on the best approach to the Sickle? Im more than willing to return the favor in Teton beta/beer/trailbreaking.
    Been wanting to hit the Sickle for a while myself, haven't made it in there yet but will def be climbing er' this spring as I'm on the injury sideline! Don't have the best beta at the moment I will ask around with some friends for more info but here is a link to Griffin Post getting after it in May a few years back.

http://griffpost.com/2009/11/08/grif...horstman-peak/

and some mixed climbing trip report on the sickle from summitpost...
    http://www.summitpost.org/mixed-coul...-sickle/239945

another trip report from facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0953081&type=3
    Last edited by J-Munz; 01-02-2013 at 07:15 PM.