Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Ketogenesis

I dropped 80lbs on my diet of meat, seafood, whiskey and veggies. Shit works wonders if you can avoid sugar/bread.

I eat like a king but it ain't cheap. Took down a 32 oz prime ribeye on Friday night with a bluefin tuna avacado salad to start. A little whistle pig to go with it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Haven't eaten a single piece of bread in months. No pasta for a long time. Barely any sweets etc.
    Sounds like the third circle of Hell.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I'd be ok with everything but the pasta.
    love me some pasta/
    And yeah, eating healthy ain't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    I'd be ok with everything but the pasta.
    love me some pasta/
    And yeah, eating healthy ain't cheap.
    I know a guy who is keto all week long, but does a carbo load for the weekend including pasta, and lots of it. He's a pretty hard core weekend warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

But I also have learned that when doing medium and longer mt bike rides, I need to chug a gatorade shortly before the ride, to stock up on quick burning carbs for all of the high intensity "sprinting" that comes with biking in the mountains.
    Not a critique, just a comment. You can bike in the mountains on little or no carbs. The weenie sprint is a disease that can be cured.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Not a critique, just a comment. You can bike in the mountains on little or no carbs. The weenie sprint is a disease that can be cured.
    I have done it. This is all just my personal experience, but mountain biking effectively (for me) requires short bursts of speed (I have no idea what you mean by "weenie sprint"). I could ride just fine without carbs, but found that I was pretty much walking every little short steep section because I had no burst in my legs. And while walking my bike is a regular occurrence for me and I'm ok with that (I'm generally an out of shape hack), I was riding trails I know VERY well and was walking things that pre-keto I was riding. Once I incorporated the pre-ride gatorade, things changed dramatically. A couple of friends I rode with both pre and post gatorade also noticed the difference, they said I was much faster (not that the gatorade made me a rocket, but you lose a lot of time getting on and off the bike, so eliminating those dismounts made me a lot faster overall).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Danno pushes in jorts.

Jorts, gatorade, and an e-bike?

I did Keto for a couple of months just for kicks. Lost weight and ate alot of fat. I really got sick of the consistency of my food. I found that my endurance suffered but no real other gain or consequence. glucose is energy for muscles period.
    Hello darkness my old friend

Ketogenesis

i used to run ~10 miles per day around an 8min pace (along with daily lifting & swimming) on a near keto diet. when i started (not at 10 mi) i lost ~65lbs in about 4 months. i made it a few explicit weeks full keto/consuming nothing processed and would drop another 5-10. IME if you work up the muscular endurance it shouldn’t be an issue, but i would not be training or competing on that diet if i cared about my performance as primary goal.
    Last edited by shroom; 04-25-2019 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    IME if you work up the muscular endurance it shouldn’t be an issue, but i would not be training or competing on that diet if i cared about my performance as primary goal.
    This, I believe, is the bottom line correct answer.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I found I can only go 1/2 speed on a keto diet (if that). If I have anything "punchy" I need to have some carbs beforehand to fuel my way through the high output stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    glucose is energy for Type II muscle fibers period.
    FIFY. Type I muscle fibers predominantly oxidize fats/fatty acids.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    but i would not be training or competing on that diet if i cared about my performance as primary goal at sub-ultra distances.
    FIFY.

Started keto a week ago. So far so good. I am supplementing with electrolytes and exogenous ketones.
    Ben Greenfield does some crazy endurance comps in ketosis. He is a bit of an outlier for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    I found I can only go 1/2 speed on a keto diet (if that). If I have anything "punchy" I need to have some carbs beforehand to fuel my way through the high output stuff.
    Wouldn't that bump you out of ketosis? Your body would crash even harder when those carbs are used up... and you're not back to burning fat yet since ... you're not in Ketosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    Wouldn't that bump you out of ketosis? Your body would crash even harder when those carbs are used up... and you're not back to burning fat yet since ... you're not in Ketosis.
    I don't test my ketone levels regularly so I have no idea what's happening internally, but I can certainly say that what you describe is not what happens to me. One 20 oz gatorade will fuel me for a 3 hour ride. If what you described is correct, I would bonk hard long before the ride was over.

Dan made some great points last year in the other keto thread about training your metabolism to alternate between fat & carbs. With the conclusion (for me, anyhow) being that strict keto isn't needed so much as a healthy diet alongside exercise. A brief period of keto to jolt the metabolism back into burning fat at least part-time is all I needed to get my metabolism back to operating at a healthy clip.