Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ketogenesis

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Shoulder season: when skiing the WROD sucks, the trails are mud/snow, and it's 10 degrees outside. 16 oz curls are my exercise of choice, but I'll sometimes try to sweat them out.
    I kid I kid

Fat bike fills that gap frequently, but not always.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post

I have a small child at home, I don't get outside that often these days.
    I started hiking with mine and around 1.5 we ditched the carrier and I just held her in my arms. At 2 we introduced another passenger. Baby in the front carrier, toddler in one arm, alternating when it's pumped. I get from 4000-7000ft of vert a week. I don't walk down though, either take a bus, or tram down.

I'm 100% fitter than i've ever been in my entire life. Kids might be the best exercise accessory.

Sorry, this is not Keto related. Just reading this thread. Will keep Keto thoughts to myself. Respect to everyone getting healthier.

53 Keto Diet Recipes

(just passing along - I know nothing of the above recipes)

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    20 miles on a cup of coffee is exactly much how you train yourself to run on fat more efficiently. But you can also go out the next day well fed and go hard. Best of both worlds.
    it can be done, before a big weekend ride I usually have a bagel w cream cheese half a pot of coffee and a banana and smoke a bunch of weed, eat two energy bars while riding and can go for 6 hrs, when I raced it was the same thing minus the weed

your body can do what you tell it to do, sometimes it won't agree with you, but twenty years of that approach works out just fine for me

I don't know about eating and all that shit, my diet is garbage, looking for a wife who can cook for me and plan out my meals, it'd be helpful because bagel for breakfast, donuts for lunch, salad and frozen pizza or tuna fix for dinner isn't exactly champion food but it works

this thread is a gem

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    How does one have the fuel in the tank to ride hard for 3 hours without pasta and beer in their regiment? Or is physical activity not part of the program? No carbs makes no sense to me.
    alcohol is the downfall
    give up the beer
    I know a few freaks out there that can pound beers and show of the next morning and hammer, but those are the genetic mutants

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Any somewhat serious athletes doing this thing? I'm on day 3 or 4. Prior to starting I was like 90% keto anyway, so it's not a major shock to my system. Not like I went from eating a ton of carbs everyday. Haven't eaten a single piece of bread in months. No pasta for a long time. Barely any sweets etc.

Anyway, I workout everyday. Bike racing starts in about a month. Maybe not the best idea, but I did a hard ride two days ago where I didn't have any shot blocks/gels etc. One packet of plain almond butter. I broke a bunch of PRs and I was also starving a nearly delirious the whole time haha.

Once I get through these first few days of being starving/brain fog will I be able to perform as well on the bike? Better?

I only want to do this if I can get ever more fit AND better performance on the bike. I am pretty damn muscular now, but got that 1/2" of belly fat that won't go away. I want to look like Jon Olsson without a personal trainer lol.

Hmmmm, get the debate started again. In my limited research it's really only a diet for body builders or slobs who want to lose weight and not work out.

Huh? I thought it was popular with endurance athletes? IME, if you need anaerobic energy, it's not a great choice, except the targeted or cyclical keto diet might work.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Huh? I thought it was popular with endurance athletes? IME, if you need anaerobic energy, it's not a great choice, except the targeted or cyclical keto diet might work.
    Marathoners/endurance types maybe? Not enduro mountain bike racing ie if you need quick burst of energy it's supposedly not great. Grinding out 100k at a pretty constant pace? Then it's probably pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Shoulder seasons? Is that when you break your shoulder and cannot balance on a bike?

I max out mentally around 25-30 minutes on an indoor bike. It's essentially torture for me and even then I have to read sitting there spinning.
    You gotta take a class with some eye candy in front of you and let your mind wander.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Marathoners/endurance types maybe? Not enduro mountain bike racing ie if you need quick burst of energy it's supposedly not great. Grinding out 100k at a pretty constant pace? Then it's probably pretty good.
    Yes, that's what I said. Enduro isn't endurance, and endurance athletes aren't body builders or slobs on the couch.. And anaerobic is "quick burst of energy".
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yes, that's what I said. Enduro isn't endurance, and endurance athletes aren't body builders or slobs on the couch.. And anaerobic is "quick burst of energy".
    Not disagreeing with you. If anything I was feeling straight up retarded today until I snapped out of it and ate a bit of chocolate and my brain started to work again.

Durian Rider is somewhat outspoken about lots of things but more specifically 'keto stuff'

Dig through his videos he all about the carbs...

for my 51st birthday, I got Diabetes, so yeah on low carb high fat now. leaner than I've ever been. Oral meds only, no insulin, no more than 50 grams of carbs at mealtime, up to 15 grams at a time for snacks - My body definitely better at using fat as fuel now. Coconut oil, olive oil, butter avacodos etc. I fucking miss carbs, but "you will die sooner" is pretty good motivation to stick with the program.
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

Gotta say, it's kinda cool to do endurance stuff (for ex, bc skiing or long hike) when you're in ketosis and burning fat. Sticking to my usual intermittent fasting (16/8) so not eating much yet bonking has not been an issue.

But I also have learned that when doing medium and longer mt bike rides, I need to chug a gatorade shortly before the ride, to stock up on quick burning carbs for all of the high intensity "sprinting" that comes with biking in the mountains.

So yeah, depending on the sport and whether getting the absolute best times is the priority, I can't say whether keto is a good choice, it might be a good choice if modified for races and harder training sessions? I've certainly read anecdotes, and that's all I've got.

Hmmmm, get the debate started again. In my limited research it's really only a diet for body builders or slobs who want to lose weight and not work out.
    Here’s one of the better articles on it.

https://www.peakendurancesport.com/n...or-no-to-keto/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

a friend lost fifty pounds doing keto in a year but he doesn't drink and he stays on the diet. he doesn't even check if he is in ketonosis anymore. every once in a while he gets on a scale and he has lost more weight.

I can't imagine eating only protein and fat. I love veggies and beer and wine. I am working on cutting the drinking down. I record what I drink each day. I am at 50% of what I used to drink. It is still a lot, too much, but on my way. I am starting to increase my hiking to up my activity level. I skied my way into ski shape and now I have to leverage that by hiking regularly. I used to run a lot, but at my weight it is unpleasant and my knees are starting to ache. If I am going to have sore knees, I would rather ski and play tennis. I am hoping if I drop twenty or thirty pounds to start jogging. I need to lose more than that to get to the weight I was before career and kids. That weight was in my mid thirties.

The thing that got me to reduce the drink was my best friend went to rehab because he is suffering from liver impairment/disease. If he doesn't stop drinking he will need a new liver. If he needs a new liver, he will never get one as an alcoholic. It is sobering talking to him. Trashcan warned us, and I have messaged him in the past. To you guys here that are really good at drinking, be careful, fatty liver is the first sign

Oh and the psychosis from going off the drink is for real. The stories he tells when he was in the tank are funny and scary. I don't want to go through that shit. It hits home when it is a buddy that you started drinking with in high school and went beer for beer with from your teens till your fifties.

sorry for the tread drift

I haven't had a drink in almost a decade now. That alone saves on an insane amount of sugar/carbs. I have a buddy who tries to eat right, works out, etc and then drinks at least a 6er of heavy IPAs everyday. Might as well just fill a cereal bowl full of sugar and down that every night before bed.

Nailed it. For enduro, look into train low/race high and optimized fat metabolism (OFM) methods.

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    Dig through his videos and he's clearly a narcissistic sociopath
    FIFY
    Last edited by Dantheman; 04-21-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Nailed it. For enduro, look into train low/race high and optimized fat metabolism (OFM) methods.

FIFY
    Ahhh, very cool. That train low race high looks like the ticket. Thanks.

I haven't had a drink in almost a decade now. That alone saves on an insane amount of sugar/carbs. I have a buddy who tries to eat right, works out, etc and then drinks at least a 6er of heavy IPAs everyday. Might as well just fill a cereal bowl full of sugar and down that every night before bed.
    But cereal lacks the buzz

But I agree, every time I take time off from the sauce, I lose 10-15 lbs. However, it take 3-4 months to gain that back. I also never feel as great as I thought I would when I take time off. Just end up turning into a hermit, and reading a lot of books.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    But cereal lacks the buzz

But I agree, every time I take time off from the sauce, I lose 10-15 lbs. However, it take 3-4 months to gain that back. I also never feel as great as I thought I would when I take time off. Just end up turning into a hermit, and reading a lot of books.
    That's a topic for another thread, but the mental adjustment to cutting booze takes much longer than the physical adjustment. We get programmed into thinking we can't go out and have fun and talk to people without beers/drinks involved, so we just don't go out. Took me a long time to re-program that part of my brain.

Ketogenesis

FWIW I went the Keto route last July.
    Dropped 45lbs. Feel great and don’t in any way feel like I’m on a diet. There are definitely times I have non Keto foods but I don’t really worry about it. It’s not all that often. I drink whiskey and vodka. Probably too much. I bet I woulda lost more weight in a shorter amount of time without it but shit. You gotta live a little.
    I have been lifting, using HIIT, skiing and doing some steady state cardio,(Nordic skiing). In January i had body fat and muscle measurements done and again about a week ago. I gained a fair amount of muscle and lost some fat. Low carbs and sugar don’t seem to hinder me.
    From an endurance standpoint I am significantly better off than a year ago but that might be because I am carrying around less weight. I plan on testing myself on some long hikes this summer.

For reference I started eating more protein in January. Weight loss was slower but I don’t really need to lose any scale weight. I don’t measure macros much but if I did I’d be around 60% fats, 35% protein and 5% carbs.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

FIFY
    Holy smokes I didn't realize dude was actually off his rocker !

http://anthonycolpo.com/the-ugly-tru...der-johnstone/