Apex Mountain Resort - Opening Day - Dec 8, 2012

Last Friday was another typical Friday. I was chowing down in a local pub after work, about to hit the Coquihalla on the way to Kelowna for another weekend skiing Big White. But as I checked out the radar image on the smartphone, it was clear the big green blob of weather streaking across BC was too far south. There it was, streaking by Penticton. Hmmmmmmmm.

I've been living in BC for almost 20 years and I'd always wanted to check out Apex. Checking their website http://www.apexresort.com I found they'd had lots of fresh recently. Saturday was gonna be sunny and also their season opener! Sweet! Hitting that sounded a lot more fun than same old same old at BW, so I called the audible and instead of hitting the Coquihalla as planned, I headed back home to hit the sack. On the road again at 3:30am, I rolled into Apex to a dream landscape. Just beautiful sun and snow, few crowds, cool people, and a great little mountain with awesome glades and terrain.

Here's a few pics and a vid I put together of the day. I couldn't have picked a better time to sample what Apex has to offer, have to get my ass back there asap!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2056.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	127920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0632- Ridge Wipeout web.jpg 
Views:	579 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	127921   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ridge Run 2-2 web.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	127922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2073web.JPG 
Views:	1144 
Size:	361.9 KB 
ID:	127923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2064web.JPG 
Views:	569 
Size:	273.2 KB 
ID:	127924  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2056 web.JPG 
Views:	1123 
Size:	445.6 KB 
ID:	127925  
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by PulverSchwein View Post
    If you ever get the chance to ski with Pulver, always ask him to do this inswitchvert move and have your camera ready.
    He'll just do it in the middle of a run when you least expect it and you'll wish you had caught it for posterity.

All I can say is

wow

that looked great!

Nice! Looks like an awesome time. The only skiing I've done at Apex was during a shitty college new years trip on a low snow year, definitely did not look like that.

It is a wicked hill when there is snow and a good base. Lots of sharks there and can be dry. Last year they got hammered. Great steep trees in the gunbarrel area.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

yeah my first two runs were through the chutes and glades by Gunbarrel. Forgot the idiot box in the car for those runs though so no footage of that, but what a blast that was. They had 4 people on the payroll all summer glading out different areas, and that's in addition to all the locals that get out there during summer months and do the same to their own favorite little areas. Whole place is filled with trees where the entrances are all tight to keep out the tourons, but 20 yards in it all opens up to nicely spaced pine from top to bottom! And just like Big White, all the riders and patrollers etc were just raving about the base/coverage for this time of year, all filled in nice with no goofy layers at all.

Splat, miss you man! when you coming up north again? I could pull one of those inverts for ya anytime lol
    Last edited by PulverSchwein; 12-14-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Dang Rich good work on pulling the 3:30am drive for the goods.

That is dedication.

Very nice!

Apex is a good hill always had fun there, it is further south/closer to the desert and steeper it always seemed to get less snow which is scuffed off the steeps sooner than the hills further up the valley

the gunbarrel saloon is a fun place

Great camera angle, I usually find POV hard to watch but that was pure enjoyment.

Damn.....Pow, Opening Day and No One There?????? That looked awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

sweet! Good call! Gotta love that interior champagne. Love to ski that hill one day, thanks for that.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

looks like opening day of Mt. Baldy here today. It's about 45 minutes from Apex.
    "Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -Warren Miller
    Ephesians 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Karl May View Post
    looks like opening day of Mt. Baldy here today. It's about 45 minutes from Apex.
    another place I'd love to hit some day. heard the glades there are fantastic
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

^^yes, small but awsome little hill. you should definately come and give our hill a try!
    "Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -Warren Miller
    Ephesians 4:7

Baldy is awesome
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!