Pieps Vector - vaporware lives

I've just received a production model Vector from Euroland in the mail. I'll be charging it up and turning it on later on (within 10 hours or so). Any questions you might have, feel free to ask. I know I was looking for any info I could find before pulling the trigger and there's not much out there.

First impression - damn, the carry harness is sketch. It's a plastic skeleton that clips onto the bottom and top of the Vector and only encloses the back. I didn't even like clipping it in and unclipping it, afraid it'd snap, and I'm in 90 degree heat. I really liked the DSP black harness, really didn't like the DSP white foam harness by comparison.

Once it's clipped in extra rigidity will come from the Vector itself, but it's the clipping/unclipping that concerns me. Especially because you need to unclip it every time to switch modes, turn it on/off, and plug it in to charge. Give me the black zipper harness instead. I might see if it fits in there and order another one of those instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    First impression - damn, the carry harness is sketch. It's a plastic skeleton that clips onto the bottom and top of the Vector and only encloses the back. I didn't even like clipping it in and unclipping it, afraid it'd snap, and I'm in 90 degree heat. I really liked the DSP black harness, really didn't like the DSP white foam harness by comparison.

Once it's clipped in extra rigidity will come from the Vector itself, but it's the clipping/unclipping that concerns me. Especially because you need to unclip it every time to switch modes, turn it on/off, and plug it in to charge. Give me the black zipper harness instead. I might see if it fits in there and order another one of those instead.
    Harnesses all suck, carry it in a pocket with a shock cord lanyard attached to a zipper pull.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Question

I wrote a review of the Pieps Vector on BeaconReviews.com. The vector has a long range (in both best- and worst-case antenna alignment) and the multiple burial display (which shows the distance and direction of up to four transmitters at once) is cool.

However, I found the user interface to be inconsistent and complicated (and I am a gadget guy). Personally, I don't think adding GPS capabilities (e.g., tracks, waypoints, navigation, etc) to an avalanche transceiver is a good idea, just as I wouldn't want the ability to place a phone call, send text messages, or listen to NPR using my avalanche transceiver.

If you’re willing to invest the time to learn the Vector’s user interface, and after Pieps flushes out some remaining bugs, you will be able to find your buried buddy. Of course, if you buy a Pieps DSP or Pieps Tour (or most of the other avalanche transceivers), you won’t need to invest as much time or money.

Quote Originally Posted by sachelis View Post
    However, I found the user interface to be inconsistent and complicated (and I am a gadget guy).
    This was my assessment of a prototype I messed with.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I'm sorry, but I think you guys have it all wrong. It says right on the website how easy it is to use. You must not be Austrian!

http://pieps.com/en/avalanche-transceivers/vector

Just noticed the ability to deactivate the beacon function to use it as a GPS unit for "summer use." Stupid. If they offered a version of this with all the extra crap stripped out, I'd be all over it.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

agree that it has too much extra stuff going on. there seem to be new software updates constantly, they definitely haven't fixed all bugs yet. supposedly there is a somewhat major issue with displays malfunctioning in very cold temperatures, newer versions will apparently get a different kind of display. i work with some pieps employed people and they are really pissed off about how the vector release was handled, they are not unaware of parallels with the initial s1 fiasco. they all still have dsp or tours for personal use. hope pieps doesn't fuck this up further.

edit: sachelis, i just read your review and had to laugh at "grammatically weak english language manual". i translated some of their catalogues a couple of years ago. i'm not a native speaker and certainly make mistakes but i like to think that was best english they've ever published
    Last edited by klar; 01-06-2013 at 09:34 AM.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Whoops:
    http://www.pieps.com/en/news/312-pieps-vector-recall

VOLUNTARY RECALL of PIEPS VECTOR

Effectively immediately, PIEPS is recalling all PIEPS VECTOR avalanche transceivers due to functional issues that may not be readily apparent to the user. This RECALL affects all PIEPS VECTOR transceivers.

PIEPS has discovered that the functionality of the VECTOR does not conform to our quality standards and strict requirements for “Premium Alpine Performance”. Safety and reliability have top priority! In order to prevent any risks to users, PIEPS has decided to implement this recall. Please stop using the PIEPS VECTOR immediately.

This recall applies to the PIEPS VECTOR only. All other PIEPS transceivers are not affected by this recall.

For questions regarding the recall, please contact us: vector@pieps.com

Telephone: +43 (0) 3182 52 556 -30 (Monday to Thursday 9 to 4 pm / Friday 9 to 12)

We apologize for this inconvenience.

The PIEPS Team
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Hmm, thanks Jonathan. I wonder what the resolution will be - refund, repair, replacement? Pieps had my contact details directly but didn't contact me. I also received no notification from signing up to their support website thing.

Hmm, thanks Jonathan. I wonder what the resolution will be - refund, repair, replacement? Pieps had my contact details directly but didn't contact me. I also received no notification from signing up to their support website thing.
    I've heard the resolution is a full refund AND a free Pieps DSP Pro. (Some details at http://beaconreviews.com/transceiver...p#Pieps_Vector.)

Good riddance to that idea. They never released it in the USA…..Love my DSP.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by sachelis View Post
    I've heard the resolution is a full refund AND a free Pieps DSP Pro. (Some details at http://beaconreviews.com/transceiver...p#Pieps_Vector.)
    sachelis, deal was 175€ + dsp pro + 15€ shipping. Shipping cost me more than that, but whatever. Old email records show I originally paid 419.33€ for the Vector.

I really liked the Vector, bugs and all. It was pretty foolproof in basic daily use, it was only when you started messing around with advanced options that it got weird. The two main things I liked:

- really good search range due to extendable antenna
    - super easy search screen
    - usb charging

Dumbass things:

- Pieps building in and therefore taking responsibility for a Li-ion battery when we all know they have problems with degradation (and temperature?)

Really, if they had a little better software engineering process and used user-supplied batteries (putting the onus on us like every other beacon) I'm sure it would have been great.

The dsp pro looks like it also has a great range. I'm relatively happy with the deal.

sachelis, deal was 175€ + dsp pro + 15€ shipping. Shipping cost me more than that, but whatever. Old email records show I originally paid 419.33€ for the Vector.
    <snip>
    Thanks for the pricing details, Toby. I updated BeaconReviews.com to clarify that it wasn't a free DSP.

I wasn't a fan of the non-transceiver features in the Vector (GPS waypoints, etc), but I did like the range and searching. I've heard that Pieps is still committed to the Vector concept and plans to simplify the menus (i.e., only basic searching and marking when the antenna is extended) after fixing the battery. Not holding my breath and happy with what Pieps (aka Black Diamond) did with the DSPs.