Ski guide for English family in Squaw 25 Dec - 2 Jan

We are looking for someone who knows the Squaw Valley mountain to guide an English family of 5 around - me (Dad, aged 43), Lisa (Mum, 43), Josh (13 - fast and likes off-piste and water polo), Amy (12 - charming English princess), Theo (9 - ski bum in the making). Coming from London (arrive 24 Dec) and skiing on Monday 25 Dec and every day up to Wed 2 Jan inclusive. Good way to earn some extra money. Staying at the Resort at Squaw Creek, with a car. Can be some of the days - mix and match. Cheers!

For the record, what you're asking for is illegal in this country. In essence a "private guide" that does not operate through a guide service is working without a permit inside the national forest. Not that I necessarily care, but just so you know. To obey the laws of our country you should hire a guide through a reputable company. As you probably know liability law works entirely different on this side and you could leave yourself open to a host of problems by consorting with an illegal private contractor. You also publicly described the exact demographics of your group making you much more detectable. There are a few guide services available near Tahoe for backcountry skiing, or if you're referring to skiing exclusively at Squaw you can book a private lesson for your family with their ski school, so perhaps do a bit of homework and pick one that fits your needs. Cheers and enjoy your trip to Tahoe.

edited to add - anyone interested in this arrangement might have second thoughts that this is a set up by FS or SV so you're probably even more likely to attract the unscrupulous

Hi Joshua,
    A couple of suggestions for you.
    I would contact Rontele (Thats' his screen name) by private message on this board. He has offered this kind of service before.
    Also, do you have any pictures of Lisa skiing? Those might help determining the level of terrain that would be best to take her on.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    For the record, what you're asking for is illegal in this country.
    I don't think he's looking for the type of guide that uses harnesses and crampons and ropes and shit....?

But he does sound like he may have really overestimated how big Squaw is and how much he'll actually need to get shown around it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

And I'm sure he'd get a lot more responses if Amy was 19 and they weren't sure if they were all going to be able to fit in their hotel room.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

What the fuck!! No love for Lisa? 43 is the new 23 fools.

Charles De Mar is the premiere guide there

"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn."

25th is a Tuesday this year
    Find a Path That Captures Your Heart and Follow it to its End !!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Silverbeck View Post
    Lisa (Mum, 43),
    Naked pictures for Ullr,

jong

33 is the new 23
    43 is the new 33.
    nttawwt
    Pretty sure he's not asking for an illegal service. Squaw may not like it though, since someone is earning income on their mountain, under their insurance and expenditures, but I don't think it's that big a deal either way.
    I'm sure people are compensated in one way or another for showing someone a good time all over California
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

this ought to be entertaining...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	popcorn-530x330.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	127909

33 is the new 23
    43 is the new 33.
    nttawwt
    Pretty sure he's not asking for an illegal service. Squaw may not like it though, since someone is earning income on their mountain, under their insurance and expenditures, but I don't think it's that big a deal either way.
    I'm sure people are compensated in one way or another for showing someone a good time all over California
    aren't you like 19 and just moved out of your parent's house

pretty sure doesn't cut it sometimes

it's definitely 100% illegal - whether or not you'd get caught is another story

a big post on TGR and a funny accent are two strikes though

I have noticed similar posts on a variety of forums (including Craigslist) and highly suspect that they represent an effort on the part of some resorts to tease the Pirates from their coves, and prosecute as they see fit. Don't fall for it!

And on the off chance that this is legit, Mr. Silverbeck, your most legitimate option would be to either a) go through the Squaw ski school, b) just look at the damn trail map, or c) make some friends on the lift.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Faaccck me a 13 year old "English Princess" is a recipe for the bratty bitch from hell

All said, I think this is going pretty well don't you think Joshua?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    Hi Joshua,
    I would contact Rontele (Thats' his screen name) by private message on this board. He has offered this kind of service before.
    Also, do you have any pictures of Lisa skiing? Those might help determining the level of terrain that would be best to take her on.

I know for a fact that Rontele will do a barter transaction providing these services in exchange for other services and perhaps a pair of Capris.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

No need for a guide. Just follow the ski tracks.

But if you really want a guide, try over at epicski--a lot of the guys over there are fond of young girls and would do it for free.
    Last edited by old goat; 12-14-2012 at 04:39 PM.

aren't you like 19 and just moved out of your parent's house

pretty sure doesn't cut it sometimes

it's definitely 100% illegal - whether or not you'd get caught is another story

a big post on TGR and a funny accent are two strikes though
    I'm only tree-and-a-half yeaws owd.

How is it illegal? You're telling me there's something on the books in CA that stipulates it's illegal to show someone around a mountain and be compensated for what is essentially babysitting?
    No longer stuck.

absolutely

all revenue generating activity within a permit area is dictated by the USFS - so in essence a "guide" at a ski area that's not employed by the ski area is operating without a permit

has nothing to do with the state of Cali, has everything to do with the USDA

if it's a resort on private land which there are obviously very few of than it's simply trespassing and violating the terms of the lift ticket contract

Ah, of course, since most(?) ski areas on on NF land.
    No longer stuck.

For the record, what you're asking for is illegal in this country. In essence a "private guide" that does not operate through a guide service is working without a permit inside the national forest. Not that I necessarily care, but just so you know. To obey the laws of our country you should hire a guide through a reputable company. As you probably know liability law works entirely different on this side and you could leave yourself open to a host of problems by consorting with an illegal private contractor. You also publicly described the exact demographics of your group making you much more detectable. There are a few guide services available near Tahoe for backcountry skiing, or if you're referring to skiing exclusively at Squaw you can book a private lesson for your family with their ski school, so perhaps do a bit of homework and pick one that fits your needs. Cheers and enjoy your trip to Tahoe.

edited to add - anyone interested in this arrangement might have second thoughts that this is a set up by FS or SV so you're probably even more likely to attract the unscrupulous
    Blah blah blah fucking blah....the person just wants some one to show them around for a bit of coin on the side. Illegal blah fucking blah....loser.

lemme guess... you work for the FS? Squaw?

absolutely

all revenue generating activity within a permit area is dictated by the USFS - so in essence a "guide" at a ski area that's not employed by the ski area is operating without a permit

has nothing to do with the state of Cali, has everything to do with the USDA

if it's a resort on private land which there are obviously very few of than it's simply trespassing and violating the terms of the lift ticket contract

Hello there Josh(I hope you don't mind me calling you that).
    I know just what you're after, but 1stly it's important you post a photo of Lisa in nothing, that will gain you some much needed Squallywood points.
    Secondly I was 12 when a girl stole my virginity, so would that be something you'd be interested in for your little princess, lots of the TGR collective have rampant young son following in daddies footsteps willing to take her to heaven and back,
    As for the skiing it really is important you PM rontele he knows the head of ski school or completely change destination alpinezone will have some great ideas PM azgreg,
    Btw I'm in the UK are you in to swinging?
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    Hi Joshua,
    Best Rontele in a loooong while. Very well played, sir.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Ah, of course, since most(?) ski areas on on NF land.
    you got it

people get away with it everyday, especially with pirate lessons, but you can see why the resorts who run the lifts would protect their ability to recoup that investment with exclusivity to ski school lessons, occasionally you'll see an exception to this but it's not common (i.e. club med used to bundle ski school lessons and have their own instructors - they negotiated the exception when buying the real estate)

I don't work for squaw or usfs - but have been a raft guide for 15 years and teach skiing currently - both are governed by the same principle

when I first started raft guiding I would push the limits of this by running trips for friends of friends - what I figured out was that I was liable for a lot of problems (probably running shuttle and damage or theft to the vehicle is your biggest problem) - and I would have been better off to be more bold and simply charge them something fair (totally illegal) than just hope they were generous - often I made less money than my normal trip pay from the rafting company considering the extra time, using my own vehicle and gear, etc. - not to mention a decent tip which is pretty common - it's a lot more work coordinating everything and they always wanted to drink as it's a private trip - which makes everything take longer