Battle of the bibs: Arc't Theta SV or Mtn Hrdwr Drystein?

I decided it's time for bibs. It's a choice between the Arcteryx Theta SV or Mountain Hardware Drystein. They seem pretty similar except the Drystein has more pockets, which is nice. I guess the Drystein is pretty new so few reviews out there and not much history. My experience with MH has been that their high end stuff is pretty comparable to Arcteryx. No interest in other brands, I'm nicely hooked up with these. Thoughts?

get the drystein, steezier colors
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I hooked up with a the Thetas last season and won't look back. I'm kinda stocky, athletic built, 5'11 and 210lb and they fit and move great. Very happy with the fit, which has been tough with other brands. You probably won't look as good as me in a pair, but the again, nobody does. Other stuff may be just as good but I haven't tried it.

FWIW

LT

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    get the drystein, steezier colors
    I'm thinking the same. I already got too many black pants.

Norrona Lofoten
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

Take a look at the Arc't Stinger bib. I have loved my minuteman bibs which the stinger has replaced in the Arc't lineup. After 7 abusive seasons my minuteman bibs have finally worn out. I've purchased the stinger in lime yellow but I haven't used them yet to comment directly on their performance. I think you can't go wrong with either of the bibs you're looking at tho.

Arc'teryx is like, the best, man. The $600 price tag tells you so.

Quote Originally Posted by hose-man View Post
    Take a look at the Arc't Stinger bib. I have loved my minuteman bibs which the stinger has replaced in the Arc't lineup. After 7 abusive seasons my minuteman bibs have finally worn out. I've purchased the stinger in lime yellow but I haven't used them yet to comment directly on their performance. I think you can't go wrong with either of the bibs you're looking at tho.
    I read someplace that the stinger is "expedition cut" aka baggy in the butt. I'm 6'2" 195 lbs. True?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forums

Dry Q. Elite is amazing in MTN Hardwear, but their stuff falls apart very easily.

Arc'teryx will last longer, be more durable, and overall won't fall apart.

IMHO Dry Q Elite > Gore Tex.

Quote Originally Posted by raueda1 View Post
    I read someplace that the stinger is "expedition cut" aka baggy in the butt. I'm 6'2" 195 lbs. True?
    Yes, they're a little more casual cut (which I like) while still retaining all the great functionality of drop seat and articulated knees and versatile multi pull side zips. The only shortcoming I can think of, besides price, is the side zips only go 2/3 of the way down. Might be nice to have them go all the way.
    Me= 5'10" 200#. XL is a loose but not too baggy fit.

let me know where you're skiing, I got the same. I was really impressed with the new GT Pro material. the fit on them is great. Great color too. I like the Mtn hardwear stuff in the DryQ; its def' breathes better than GT but read about the material used on the drystein. I think it's not as durable as the other materials intended for skiing around brush or abrasive terrain.

BTW- Xavier, the full MSRP is 450, about the same as any other Goretex pro bib but I scored them 20% off from BC. So with a lifetime warrenty they are a good value. Don't be a hater.

Quote Originally Posted by hose-man View Post
    Last edited by BoatBound; 12-14-2012 at 09:16 AM.
    Be more like your dog...

Here's the product description from Arc'

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx...ts/Stinger-Bib
    Be more like your dog...

I was tempted by the sabre bibbut ended up getting an excellent price on the powslayer from Patagonia off eBay. A little lighter weight/thinner than I'm used to, slightly nervous for their maiden voyage this weekend. The finish on them is excellent though and the fit seems to be just right. Plenty stylish for my tastes and nice big vents to dump heat for the up. I think I'll need some expedition weight bottoms though.

Hugh Conway Guest
    How much higher is the new stinger front? the old middrif bib was kinda funky looking but about the right height utility wise.

The lowers on the Norrona are the tits, the upper bib part is funky.

I picked up last year's Stinger bibs and love them. The leg pockets are great and the fit is a bit baggy, but NOT gangsta baggy. Also, they come in S and L lengths, so you can really dial it in. If i was in the market, the Stinger would be at the top of the list.