Beacon and GoPro Interference

I feel like this is important enough to put in the main forum instead of just in the Tech Talk & Slide Zone forums.

I also contributed to the Tech Talk thread just for you forum police.

I'm glad we took the time to do this so I could see it for myself. If you haven't done it yourself, I recommend you give it a try.
    When in doubt...straighten 'em out.

joelbettner.blogspot.com

Decent post / test. Something to consider.

ttt

Thank you for posting this.

Hmm, kind of scary concidering how many gopros you see on Andy given day... I hope someone care to make a bit more extensive test..

Thanks Joel. This answered a few questions I had about this.

Has anyone tested this with any of the Contour cameras?

As long as it doesn't interfere with your bacon....

Affect transmission?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

turn it off? What if the dude thats buried is the one with the gopro? He's pretty much fucked...

Good test..hope to see more with other beacon brands.

Anyone show this to gopro?

It's fucked in receive mode - the first test shows that a gopro is overridden next to a transmitting beacon. It's when you're searching and taping it that the trouble starts.

All the (admittedly few) beacon manuals I've read say to keep them away from electronic devices. This is a very good, in-your-face illustration of the importance of reading the manual. E.g., from one I've read recently:

"INTERFERENCES
    All beacons are very sensitive against electrical and magnetic interferences. Due to this, it’s a
    recommendation from all manufacturers that minimum distances should be maintained between
    avalanche beacons (digital/analog) and electronic, magnetic or metallic influences (radios,
    mobile phones, MP3-players, pulse watch, magnetic buttons, bunch of keys, etc.) or to switch
    of electronic devices! Different electronic devices have different interference potential! PIEPS
    recommends:
    • Minimum distance in SEND-mode: 15 cm
    • Minimum distance in SEARCH-mode: 1,5 m;

More information and official recommentation can be found at www.pieps.com.

Important! Users of pacemakers are advised to carry the PIEPS VECTOR on the right side and to
    adjust the carrying system. Regarding impacts on the pacemaker please note the instructions of the
    manufacturer.
    "

Pieps Vector manual from their website.

Wow. That is fucked up.

The real question is if it affects the operation of my stud-finder...

I just tested in my basement with a Gopro, Mammut Pulse beacon and a Pieps DSP beacon.

The only time I had interference I was literally holding the recording the recording gopro against the searching beacon, as soon as I pulled the gopro farther than 1 foot away, the problem went away.

It`s worth testing with the gear you use, but from what I see, it`s a pretty easy scenario to avoid.

Scenarios I tried:
    Gorpro recording next to searching beacon (Pieps)
    Gorpro recording next to searching beacon (pulse)
    Gorpro recording next to sending beacon (Pieps)
    Gorpro recording next to sending beacon (Pulse)
    Gopro in the same general area, but not too close to the sending beacon (Pulse)
    Gopro in the same general area, but not too close to the sending beacon (Pieps)
    Check out my Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dinlaroche007

Just keeping this near the top for visibility
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Has anyone tested this with any of the Contour cameras?

Yeah, I played around with it a bit tonight. I noticed it would flash a number and point but only when you turn the contour to record. I have yet to test it with a 2nd beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by dinlaroche View Post
    The only time I had interference I was literally holding the recording the recording gopro against the searching beacon, as soon as I pulled the gopro farther than 1 foot away, the problem went away.
    Problem is, if you're conducting a search with a helmet cam on, you're going to be getting pretty close to that 1' distance pretty often. Could make things very confusing if it's constantly switching between finding a signal and finding nothing. Confusing for the beacon's software too - hopefully not confusing enough to cause a crash or anything if the software isn't super bulletproof.

Similar happens with phones which people normally have in chest pockets and the like. Metallic objects cause interference as well.

Even my LED headtorch does this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Problem is, if you're conducting a search with a helmet cam on, you're going to be getting pretty close to that 1' distance pretty often. Could make things very confusing if it's constantly switching between finding a signal and finding nothing. Confusing for the beacon's software too - hopefully not confusing enough to cause a crash or anything if the software isn't super bulletproof.
    If you are wearing a chest cam, then yes it may be an issue. On top of your helmet would be more than far enough away. I literally had to have them almost touching to have the issue.
    Check out my Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dinlaroche007

Here's an article that was in the December issue of The Avalanche Review, plus was a presentation at the ISSW in Anchorage: