Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Ski Areas Face $1 Billion Risk From Warming Climate, Groups Say

I purposely didn't post this article in polyasshat because this relates to the risks to our sport. Unless your head is stuck in the sand or up your ass (or you come to TGR but don't care much about skiing/boarding--and you know who you are), you should at least be concerned about:

-More rain at elevation during the winter and shoulder seasons. Like this season so far.
    -Wetter snow (=shittier powder and sloughier BC)
    -Shorter seasons
    -Higher costs at resorts for snowmaking
    -Marginal resorts going belly up
    -The same # of people crammed into fewer mountains, so larger crowds

Not a pretty picture, especially if you fast forward 10 or 20 years.

"Declines in snowfall because of global warming are shortening the winter ski season in the U.S. and haraming the economy, according to a report from two environmental groups.

In poor snow seasons, such as last winter, visits to ski areas in states such as Colorado and New York drop, and that has cost ski resorts $1 billion in revenue over the past decade, the Natural Resources Defense Council and Protect Our Winters said in the report released today. The winter sports industry contributes more than $12 billion a year to the U.S. economy, according to the study.

“Climate change spells trouble for all businesses dependent on winter weather, from snowmobiling, snowboarding, and ice fishing to snowshoeing and skiing,” the groups said in the report.

In the U.S., average temperatures from December through February have increased by 2.2 degrees Fahrenheit (1.2 Celsius) since 1970, according to the report. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration today said the first 11 months of 2012 were the warmest start to any year in the contiguous 48 states since the U.S. began keeping records in 1895.

Carbon-dioxide emissions since the Industrial Revolution have led to a warming of the Earth’s temperature, which threatens to cause extreme weather, drought and coastal flooding, according to the U.S. Global Change Research Program.

To contact the reporter on this story: Mark Drajem in Washington at mdrajem@bloomberg.net"

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...tml?cmpid=yhoo
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

Quote Originally Posted by bl2000 View Post
    you should at least be concerned about:
    What is being concerned going to do?

Live Free or Die

if you are truly worried about what "groups say" then please dont exhale

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

I don't think it's " global warming" as the extreme enviromentalist call it, I think it's a natural climate change happening, As the doom dayers scream about the artic ice caps melting the antartic caps are growing at the same pace. We always go trough climate cycle's every 5-7 years somewhere on the planet.

Whats happening here in the Tahoe basin is just a classic El Nino year so far, lots of warm storms and high snow levels a little early in the year. I did not hear them crying 2 winters ago when we where 200" above normal in snowpac.

I lived in the midwest for 15 years as a kid and can remember almost no snow years and wearing shorts in January, SHIT it must have been global warming. Nope just another weather cycle.

I would take article's like these into the bathroom with you, because they are worth about as much as a good crap , just some Idiot trying to push his agenda.

We had better start a goverment program taping cows butt holes closed.

PS; I always like how these article's state " A enviromental group" says..... What a Joke.

Quote Originally Posted by willie61 View Post
    I don't think it's " global warming" as the extreme enviromentalist call it, I think it's a natural climate change happening, As the doom dayers scream about the artic ice caps melting the antartic caps are growing at the same pace. We always go trough climate cycle's every 5-7 years somewhere on the planet.

Whats happening here in the Tahoe basin is just a classic El Nino year so far, lots of warm storms and high snow levels a little early in the year. I did not hear them crying 2 winters ago when we where 200" above normal in snowpac.

I lived in the midwest for 15 years as a kid and can remember almost no snow years and wearing shorts in January, SHIT it must have been global warming. Nope just another weather cycle.

I would take article's like these into the bathroom with you, because they are worth about as much as a good crap , just some Idiot trying to push his agenda.

We had better start a goverment program taping cows butt holes closed.

PS; I always like how these article's state " A enviromental group" says..... What a Joke.
    Just close your eyes and click your heels three times.

A ski hill on Vancouver Island opens early 4 years in a row with very decent early season conditions.. Just saying.

Maybe if I close my eyes and click my heels together 3 times We can get rid of all the brainwashed Idiots like you who can't think for themselfs but only go along with what there told by the other Idiots. Dumbass sheeple.

A ski resort opening early 4 years in a row, shit it must be Global warming.

As the doom dayers scream about the artic ice caps melting the antartic caps are growing at the same pace.
    False. http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...n-past-decade/

The Antartic land ice has been slowly melting but the sea ice has been expanding rapidly over the last 20 years, stemming from a natural climate change, leading to water a rise of 11mm (3/8") over 20 years. In order to make any notible change it would take over 1000 years. But with the rapid increase in the sea ice and not all of it melting every year who knows what will happen. I think in a 5000 years south america will be like canada and north america tropical and not from global warming, when you have these huge earthquakes and volcanic eruptions it changes the cycle of the earth which efects the weather.

I am not saying there is not a change in the weather cycles, I just don't think it's man made and with the U.S.proposing cutting are own necks to save the planet, while china and other countries continue on as normal is assnine. We can't stop it anyway.
    Last edited by willie61; 12-07-2012 at 07:33 PM.

BRIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

There are a lot more important consequences of global warming than less skiing. As in loss of summer snow runoff from the Sierra leading to drought in the largest agricultural region in the country--not to mention 30,000,000 people or how ever many California has without drinking water. As in massive coastal flooding. AS in more superstorms. I happen to be one of those people who think it's real but who also doubt that anything can be done about it.. There are just too many fucking people. But not for long--there is a scientist--I wish I could remember who and where he's from--who predicts that by the end of the century the earth's human population will be down to 175,000,000, all living above the arctic circle. Sounds like an extreme prediction but I'm glad I won't be around to see it happen. Sorry for my kids.

Maybe by the end of the century that will be the only place to find powder. I'm game.

IDIOT!

Maybe if I close my eyes and click my heels together 3 times We can get rid of all the brainwashed Idiots like you who can't think for themselfs but only go along with what there told by the other Idiots. Dumbass sheeple.

A ski resort opening early 4 years in a row, shit it must be Global warming.
    The Glaciers Willie, what happened to the Goddamned fucking glaciers? You fucking moron.
    carpe diem vita brevis

At one point all of North america was covered by glaciers, yes they have melted back and will continue to melt back, do's that mean man caused it. NOOOOO, the earth and it's climate is forever changing and will continue to do so, no matter if we are here or not. That volcano in iceland (I think thats where it was) that blew a few years back and blocked out Europe for a couple of weeks was more damage then anything people did in the last 100 years. MORON SHEEPLE IDIOT

As an atheist, I have to chuckle at the irony of "man-made global warming" believers talking smack about how Christians "believe in fairy tales".

The only difference between these two self-righteous religions is where followers send their money.

The scientific community pretty much made up its mind more than 30 years ago, when there was a major shift in opinion from "the earth is in a natural cooling cycle" to "the earth is warming due to human influences". No one predicted warming would be linear or affect every area the same, but that IS what the prevailing view changed to, and it's pretty much coming to pass. I'm not regurgitating something I read; I was going to school with some leading earth scientists at the time and watched the science unfold week by week, year by year.

DV: Being concerned by itself won't do anything. Action might, but there's not much hope the direction will change and I think we're pretty much f#@%'d on this one. Just saying that if you're looking to be skiing or boarding when you're old(er), don't expect the status quo.

Slaag¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿

The major effect of climate change is the swing from one extreme to the other (i.e. drought flood). I subscribe to the notion that climate change is both natural and reduced by our resource consumption. But there is no way we, the tiny bacteria eating up earth's surface, can turn this ship around and reverse the natural cycle of change. The summers are going to be hotter, the winters wetter, and there will be major storms blowing through with more frequency delivering snow. Relax and enjoy the ride.

1000-oaks, I could not agree with you more, The global-warming crowd has made the earth there God, and there mission to save it at all expense.
    And 99 % of all christians are self-righteous, and look down their noses at people that don't belive exactly what they belive. And as a christian myself I think they are both off there rockers. I think if you look at the scientific community, you will find it is split on who is to blame, man or nature, by what there agenda is. And both sides DO have a agenda.

there

their

they're
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

It's totally evident that there is a lot less snow now than when I was in the 8th grade, it is also totally evident that it was a lot warmer when T-Rex roamed in the Kimmerer and Diamondville area. Climate changes cycle from one extreme to the other, there is not JACK SHIT YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT! Stop trying to stop me from driving my fuel ineffecient 4runner to Bogus Basin!
    More cowbell!!!

while i respect your arctic/antarctic argument, it is flawed from an academic standpoint. the reason antarctic ice is expanding is the result of increased downslope winds off the continent pushing ice offshore. as this occurs, ice freezes in the open water created.
    anatarctica is very unique in a climate standpoint because of its extreme continental climate, extreme high pressure system, and polar isolation. remote sensing of the antarctic continent and station observations have shown a warming trend in the antarctic, however.
    pm if you want more details or actual academic sources/ data.

without a doubt, there is a ton of false data and poor science coming from both sides of the argument. the truth lies in the middle. natural climate change is occurring and always has. the question is weather anthropogenic impacts have accelerated change.

for everybody interested in the global economy, the world bank just came out with a study on potential economic impacts of anthropogenic climate change.
    not sure how to attach a pdf in a thread but if anybody wants a copy, i'll email it to you
    http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/201...end-of-century
    Last edited by camlax; 12-08-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bl2000 View Post
    The scientific community pretty much made up its mind more than 30 years ago, when there was a major shift in opinion from "the earth is in a natural cooling cycle" to "the earth is warming due to human influences". No one predicted warming would be linear or affect every area the same, but that IS what the prevailing view changed to, and it's pretty much coming to pass. I'm not regurgitating something I read; I was going to school with some leading earth scientists at the time and watched the science unfold week by week, year by year.

DV: Being concerned by itself won't do anything. Action might, but there's not much hope the direction will change and I think we're pretty much f#@%'d on this one. Just saying that if you're looking to be skiing or boarding when you're old(er), don't expect the status quo.

Slaag¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿
    Well that settles it then. That book report you did in college was the nail in the coffin.
    Live Free or Die

This thread = pure fail. You just can't have a reasonable discussion on climate change here at TGR with all the white noise.

That being said great report by POW! and NRDC and well worth a read for all skiers and riders.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Well that settles it then. That book report you did in college was the nail in the coffin.
    Dumbass comment.

Uglymonkey=correct.