Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    They have a Holiday Inn Express, so it has to be a smart purchase!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Loss leader & brand loyalty. Having legit resorts to visit without having to pony up $100 a day for lifts would make the decission process a hell of a lot easier. There will also be those that only go because of the "free" skiing.

Or we could gnash our teeth and speculate til the cows come home and still be surprised when the announcement comes.
    Last edited by flatNshallow; 12-10-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

WTF

Afton Alps is not FUN

why doesn't Vail invest in a mountain that is actually "good"

heavenly is not that good
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

not where the most snow was last night...
    Kinda funny...but not a bad thing IMO. Brighton hasnt changed in decades and could use some $ and help. That place is packed on some weekends and weekday nights with ski clubs. And if you try really hard, and have the right wax on, you can get 4 whole GS turns in!
    but its good for me learning tele...

they should have bought alpine ~15min away, better hill, but not as close to a bigger city.
    When seconds count...ski patrol, SAR or the cops are only minutes away...

If they call it Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?

Alpine Valley is knuckle dragger central - very little skiing there these days...

Carry on.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

These tiny molehills throughout the midwest introduce lots of families to skrs/snwbd'ing. Not to mention, the snow enthusiasts who have been at it for years tied to jobs in big cities and taking a couple weeks each season to hit the big mtn resorts. I have always seen the growth potential to tie-in big Mtn. resorts to the midwest "breeding grounds".

Think of it as locking in families of 4 for $4000/wk (tickets & lodging & lessons).
    when not on the snow what else do i do...

http://www.jatho-craftsman.blogspot.com/

What Lost said, it get's the average Midwest family into the Vail fold so come spring break Mom and Dad load the kids up and head to Vail and drop a ton of coin.

That and speaking strictly on the Afton Alps deal, this is a ski area that consistantly makes money, has a pretty decent summer operation with some nice mtb trails and a race series, and a better than average golf course. For $10 Mill, it's a no brainer on just the land alone.

We have a couple races at Afton this year, looking forward to seeing how Vail Resorts grows this area, frankly this will be very good for all the midwest ski areas, with the possible exception of Welsh Village who should be shittin themselves, they're just down the road from Afton and don't have anywhere near the pockets that Vail does.
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Oh, yeah, what’s the date today? Seems a little late in the season to make such a major purchase.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!

Duuuuuurp....