WWMD - mount drill depth

I've got two skis to mount. One says drill to 7.5mm and is a minimum of ~11.8mm thick where I'd mount. The other says drill to 9.5mm and is a minimum of a bit less where I'd mount. If I can drill to 9.5mm on that, surely I can drill to 9.5mm on the thicker skis despite the recommendation?

FWIW I've got adult bindings but can file/grind down the screws, so screw length isn't an issue, whatever the drill depth decision.

Rossi S7 Pro Jr are the thinner/9.5mm ski. Volkl Shiro Jr are the thicker/7.5mm ski.

Generally, kids skis say to drill 7.5mm because 1) they're thin, and 2) they assume you're using a kids binding.

As long as you triple-check that you're not going to dimple (or drill though) the base, there should be no problem using the 9.5 bit and an adult binding. Measure thrice, drill once.

You should also check that the bindings you have are compatible with the boots that will be used. There are a few binding models that work both Jr. and adult boots. If you don't know, consulting a shop tech with access to a manual may be a good idea.

I would put the screws IN the binding ,hold them up to the side of the ski where they are going in and see if you need to shorten the screws or not

I have marked the drill with duct tape which of course moves so you need to get yerself a depth guage if you don't have one,
    you could use any piece of 2" stock but I drill thru a wine bottle cork, move the bit in the chuck so only the amount of drill I want is sticking out the bottom of the cork

Yeah, I've got a proper 9.5mm ski drill bit so I'm good there.

The bit that worries me is that even the thicker/7.5mm recommended skis only have 2.3mm nominal clearance between the screw tip and the base surface. Given I've seen ski base figures mentioned on here before of 1.8mm (I think?) I just worry that I'm going to punch right through the core and into the base and cause dimples, particularly on the thinner/9.5mm recommended skis. Like, I'd prefer a good couple of/few millimetres of core below the screw vs. drilling right through to the base.

I'll do the actual binder/screw check and see if I can get away with less than 9.5mm, or maybe compromise and file down the screw tips and try to go 8.5mm.

You'll dimple the base if your hole isn't deep enough. If your hole is too deep, you'll just drill out some base material. It probably won't dimple though (unless you're running the drill in too quickly).

Thanks, makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    ...maybe compromise and file down the screw tips and try to go 8.5mm.
    I've done this on plenty of adult skis - especially women's skis. It can work well, but it's harder to get the screw threaded right. Tapping the hole helps.

^^^ plus tapping the holes always makes the mount stronger.

Toby, if you got a plunge caliper, check the depth of the holes after you've drilled, re: what toast said.

Just drill to 9.5mm, you're fine if the ski is 2mm thicker than that. Be careful not to overtighten the screws if this is the first pair of kid's skis you've mounted, it's easily done.