Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone Fly United With Skis Lately?

I'm wondering how they are about interpreting their "ski and boot bag" policy. Their website says that checking skis includes a boot bag, but if the boot bag contains other stuff then they can charge for another bag. I assume this is so you don't try to use a monster bag with everything in it.

I just got an Athalon Everything boot bag that will hold boots and a helmet and maybe a few other small things. This is what it looks like.
    Name:  athalon.jpeg
Views: 966
Size:  2.7 KB

Has anyone flown with them lately and checked skis with a boot bag? I wonder if they will hassel me with a few things in with the boots. I know people will say to carry on your boots, but I'm brining ski and snowboard boots and can't take it all on the plane with me.

Thanks.

maybe do boots as a carry on? Thats what I do, have not flown UT so cannot comment there
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

You might get away with it with a skycap, but I wouldn't try it with an agent. Just carry on your boots and essentials.

My parents have never had a problem using those boot bags as their carry on on United and other airlines. Just don't overstuff it if possible and it can pack down sideways and fit in the overhead.

Different brand boot bag I think, but looks the same

We brought a boot bag on board as carry-on with two pairs of boots and helmets. No problem skychecking at all. Three different trips last year and all with United.

He wants to check both skis and boots as 1 checked item. IMHO: "Equipment only" in the bag is a gray area that doesn't get enforced right now. But eventually United will fuck you in the ass when you least want to put up with their bullshit.

what's your mileage status with them? it can sometimes make a difference.

I say check your skis, carry your boots. If they lose your luggage and skis, you can always demo a good pair, but boots are obviously a different story. Or imagine if they somehow messed them up with their usual mishandling of luggage!

I just carry on my ski pack with all the essentials (gloves, helmet, etc.), and sling the boots over the top. No problem. I've also seen plenty of people carrying their boot bags on board with no problems.

It's been my experience with other airlines that you can do the two bags but combined they still must be under the minimum weight of 50lbs. Screwed myself when they wouldn't accept both and then had to haul a 35lb boot bag and a backpack through two airports.

I always carry my boots. You'll probably get hosed with checking an extra bag.

I have always carried my boots as others have mentioned. I do know that the total weight of the ski bag plus the boot bag is 50 pounds. I just put 50 pounds in my ski bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    He wants to check both skis and boots as 1 checked item. IMHO: "Equipment only" in the bag is a gray area that doesn't get enforced right now. But eventually United will fuck you in the ass when you least want to put up with their bullshit.
    I think you're the only one that read my whole post and you are correct. I'm planning on checking the boot bag with my snowboard bag as one checked bag. I really looking for people's experience who have done this. I was hoping to have my helmet, googles, and gloves in the boot bag to free up room in my carry on bag.

Thanks for the replies.

carry on bag and boots over shoulder as extra item.

It anyone makes a big deal about them..... wear them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    carry on bag and boots over shoulder as extra item.

It anyone makes a big deal about them..... wear them.
    Used to fly United have switched to Delta, which IMO is a little less sucky. Anyways I have always gotten the second bag to go with the skis as a boot bag no extra charge. No one ever opens it up to see if boots are actually in the bag. The 50 lb limit is a total for both however.

Got hassled by United two years ago for having clothes in the ski bag and a large boot/clothes bag. Their opinion was skis only, plus boots and stuff was ok. Using my double ski bag as clothing space was not.

I was pushing the limits as traveling with family for Christmas. Two double ski bags and two large boot bags with 4 pair of skis, 4 pair of boots and most of the ski clothing within them both. Each bag was 49lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Got hassled by United two years ago for having clothes in the ski bag and a large boot/clothes bag. Their opinion was skis only, plus boots and stuff was ok. Using my double ski bag as clothing space was not.

I was pushing the limits as traveling with family for Christmas. Two double ski bags and two large boot bags with 4 pair of skis, 4 pair of boots and most of the ski clothing within them both. Each bag was 49lbs.
    this worries me, I'm flying home for winter break next week on united
    I was planning on packing all my clothes in my ski bag, because i'll be carrying on my camera backpack and my boots

If you dont have premier mileage with united (actually even if you do), I wouldn't expect the united folks to err on the side of letting it pass.

Travelling over the holidays sucks enough as it is, throw united's terrible customer service on top of that, and I'd probably just sack up & pay for the extra checked bag of clothing. Otherwise be prepared to unpack & repack your shit in front of a line of 100 other angry & impatient holiday travelers trying to check-in.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

All of you are wrong. The answer is to fly Southwest.

I've flown United twice since noticing this rule change, most recently two weeks ago. Both times I checked a boot bag containing boots, helmet, and some random extras. Also, my ski bag had a couple pairs of skis, and was stuffed to the weight limit with other gear. They didn't look in the boot bag either time, and they weighed each bag separately.

I intend to keep packing other stuff into the boot bag, although obviously the rules state that both the ski and boot bags can only contain skis and boots.

I think it really comes down to what airport you are flying from, and the preference of the agent you are dealing with. I was flying from Boston and Buenos Aires. I probably wouldn't try it flying from anywhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    I think you're the only one that read my whole post and you are correct. I'm planning on checking the boot bag with my snowboard bag as one checked bag. I really looking for people's experience who have done this. I was hoping to have my helmet, googles, and gloves in the boot bag to free up room in my carry on bag.

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by llyon View Post
    I think it really comes down to what airport you are flying from, and the preference of the agent you are dealing with. I was flying from Boston and Buenos Aires. I probably wouldn't try it flying from anywhere in Europe.
    Actually Europe has been the easiest place for me to fly out of with ski/bootbag combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post

Thanks for the replies.
    This is fine as long as both the ski bag and boot bag don't add up to 50 pounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Quote Originally Posted by llyon View Post
    I've flown United twice since noticing this rule change, most recently two weeks ago. Both times I checked a boot bag containing boots, helmet, and some random extras. Also, my ski bag had a couple pairs of skis, and was stuffed to the weight limit with other gear. They didn't look in the boot bag either time, and they weighed each bag separately.

I intend to keep packing other stuff into the boot bag, although obviously the rules state that both the ski and boot bags can only contain skis and boots.

This is the information I was looking for. You said your ski bag was stuffed to the weight limit. Was that 50lb for just the ski bag or the combination of the ski and boot bags? United says if the ski OR boot bag exceeds 50lbs they will be subject to extra fees. Delta is more specific and says the combo cannot exceed 50.
    Thanks for the help!

I usually stuff my ski bag with multiple pairs of skis, ax, crampons, shovel, and basically anything else I can get in there while keeping it underweight. I've never had a problem on United or any other airline. It still makes me nervous though. They could probably charge me one bag for each ski and another for the miscellaneous stuff based on their policy.
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.