Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hunter S Thompson Dead(NSR)

Wow, crazy. Shot himself at his house in Aspen.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...bit_thompson_5

Holy shit!

I'm surprised he wasn't still invigorated by all the "counterculture" in Aspen.
    "Girl, let us freak."

Well Hunter off'd himself. Not really surprised. I don't know how many of you had the oppertunity to meet the raging martini, but he did make you think about things.

I hope he has found some peace. But the betting odds are against that. He always was a tormented soul. I pray that God forgives and allows him to write for the "Heaven Daily News".

RIP man. You still have my vote for mayor.

In a time when the world needs more writers like Hunter, and publications with the balls to run their stuff, today is sad indeed.

"Objective journalism is one of the main reasons American politics has been allowed to be so corrupt for so long."

"Dr. of Journalism"-RIP
    Last edited by bossass; 02-20-2005 at 11:56 PM.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Damn. Some of his literary friends from New Orleans were skiing at Alta a few weeks back. I rode up the chairlift with them and they told some good Hunter S. stories. It's a shock, I read one of his more recent books not too long ago. Hopefully he'll RIP now.

RIP Hunter...............................

When I first heard that Hunter killed himself I thought ..... sure he did......just like Vince Foster..........

Hmmm,...surprising...........there's quite a few journalists who were extremely critical of Bush that have killed themselves an the last few years.......

He will be deeply missed.

I'm sure many of you have already seen this, but if not check out the tribute they have put together for him on ESPN's Page 2. You can read his last published article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/index

Wiser than he seemed he was.
    Told me more than once "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone.... but they've always worked for me."
    Twisted path he took, hard to follow for many. Good for them that was.....

That last article he wrote is hysterical. He even mentions you Jimmy Page

RIP HST

From CNN:

In "Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72," he described the campaign leading to Richard Nixon's re-election as president with terms like "brutal" and "depraved," speculating that Democratic Sen. Ed Muskie was under the influence of an obscure African psychoactive drug and bemoaned Nixon's looming victory by proclaiming, "Jesus, where will it end? How low do you have to stoop in this country to become president?"...Thompson also was the model for the character of "Uncle Duke" in the "Doonesbury" comic strip. But Thompson strongly disliked the characterization, once telling an interviewer that he would set "Doonesbury" creator Garry Trudeau on fire if the two ever met.

sad day
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Pretty sad. Few people are as gifted at spinning the language to their purposes.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

A loss reflective of our times.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda
    Wiser than he seemed he was.
    Told me more than once "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone.... but they've always worked for me."
    Twisted path he took, hard to follow for many. Good for them that was.....
    welcome back master yoda
    I have missed you dearly.
    Please keep us straight because some days this place is goes to shit!

now back to

RIP HUNTER
    Points on their own sitting way up high

AKA is offline These meaasge boards suck
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen
    A loss reflective of our times.

yeah.

ive got a strange mastery of the language as well.

Oh my god- unbelieveable. Well, not really. The guy survived a hell of a lot- sometimes you might think the only way he could die would be DIY.

I'm gonna have to buy some tequila and do a few shots in his honor tonight.

Oh, this thread is most certainly SR. Read my signature for proof. Plus, he was one of the most recognizeable locals in the Aspen area. Even if he was only a recreational skier, he has certainly had some impact on the sport in some way.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Plakespear
    Even if he was only a recreational skier, he has certainly had some impact on the sport in some way.
    dude so how should I interpret this!

we are not 'core' if we only recreate!

come on! there are some recreational skiers on this BB no?

I meant that like he wasn't a pro, pioneer (well, ski pioneer), or inventor.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Oh, this thread is most certainly SR.
    "The Edge . . . There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. The others—the living—are those who pushed their control as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later.
    But the edge is still Out there. Or maybe it's In. The association of motorcycles with LSD is no accident of publicity. They are both a means to an end, to the place of definitions."
    HST Hell's Angels.
    The edge is def there in skiing, some of us have found it, some far past it no longer of this Mortal coil.

Some got close enough to be scared for life, most of us embrace the dance with it and pursue it whenever we can.
    Thanks Hunter.
    RI whatever you choose as peace.
    I hope you're satisfied, Thatcher!

I meant that like he wasn't a pro, pioneer (well, ski pioneer), or inventor.
    thanks for Clarifying!

I'm just trying to keep the stoke up, for the rec skiers around here that might feel slighted or unaccepted by all the "rock stars" (hardcore mofos)

Rest In Peace.

Meet Hunter S. Thompson last year in Vail. The dude truly lived on another planet and was the best writer to evolve from the 60's drug-culture. Always very well spoken, if you have no clue what he is talking about. He should be a hero to anyone who has ever used drugs.

"You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye..."

"For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampeled."

"We cannot expect people to have respect for law and order until we teach respect to those we have entrusted to enforce those laws."
    Although this is about as shitty-dime-store predictable as HST has ever been (I mean please... a gun-suicide? Where's the ART?) I find myself oddly touched by the loss of this man. F&L in LV was my, and many others', introduction to ...errr... chemistry beyond the "normal." His columns in RS were more than comedic-vitriolic diatribes, they always had an undercurrent of what I considered TRUTH. Finally, in my limited experience and exposure to the hurricane: at 1:00am in the Jerome something interesting always was about to go down... (if he was there, otherwise... nah.)

To the "Good Doctor:" May the worms feed well, sir. Rest in Pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by powderpow
    was the best writer to evolve from the 60's drug-culture. Always very well spoken, if you have no clue what he is talking about. He should be a hero to anyone who has ever used drugs.
    You one dimensional MORON!

I have used MORON here many times before, but you sir are by far the biggest MORON I have had to suffer here.

See you soon good doctor, you burned too hot for this milquetoast world.

well, he finally rode that "strange torpedo to the end."
    i am surprised he lived as long as he did, even if he did exaggerate his drug use in his stories...

Quote Originally Posted by powderpow
    He should be a hero to anyone who has ever used drugs.
    great.. another clown who thinks all that Hunter was about was drugs (try reading/re-reading his work)

"The person who doesn't scatter the morning dew will not comb gray hairs."-HST

He had already written his own epitaph-

"That is the Curse of Speed which has plagued me all my life. I am a slave to it. On my tombstone they will carve, "IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME." "