Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best Flyfishing spots in the US?

My dad is turning 60 next year, and I'm thinking about sending him on a trip somewhere in the US for a week of fly fishing. Right now he lives on the coast of SC and goes fishing 4-5 times a week on the rivers and creeks of the Low Country, so he has it pretty good. Crowded spots aren't going to cut it. He's been to Montana (5 years ago?) and absolutely loved it. Where else should I be looking?

There's some fly to lodges in Wood-Tikchik state park. Salmon, grayling, huge HUGE rainbows and in the lakes real big lake trout.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Interior BC is the shit.

The Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem has probably the best dry fly fishing in the US. I know there's other areas with larger fish species and other places with even less people, but its hard to beat our combination of mildly alkaline, mineral rich water, cooler temps and, usually, plentiful runoff when it comes to producing huge hatches. This diet produces a lot of healthy trout both in terms of quality and quantity. And the options, wow...I live in the southwestern corner of the GYE and I've got something like 350 miles of top quality trout streams and rivers within one hours drive and that doesn't even count the smaller creeks or lakes. If you want great fishing and megafauna without having to shell out $6000 for lodging, guides and airfare to AK, this must be the place.

I am a bit bias toward the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem also but if he has been to the area... Are you looking for a trout trip? How about redfish down south or tarpon off the FL coast?

Other than the GYE, you could look into some of the lodges in CO. I've heard good things about some of the private water down there but no experience. Another idea is an outfitter trip on the salmon, (middle fork or the main), in ID. He wouldn't forget that one. How 'bout a guided trip down the Smith in MT? Damn nice stretch of river. Also, the Glacier/Kootenay region of MT might be fun. While not as we'll know for trout as the GYE, there is still excellent fishing and stunning beauty.

If you choose MT, ID, and /or WY, I'm happy to make some more specific recommendations for lodging/lodges, guides, seasons, hatches, etc...and I think I can speak for the rest of the guys...they will too.
    Last edited by schwerty; 12-05-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    Interior BC is the shit.
    Steelheading on the bulkley/morice out of smithers

bring money

Prolly need more info on what he really likes. I like the suggestions here except the steelhead options. I just don't like fishing blind unless I have to, he may love that. Saltwater? How much you spending? For me, right now I'm thinking Isla Holbox.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Prolly need more info on what he really likes. I like the suggestions here except the steelhead options. I just don't like fishing blind unless I have to, he may love that. Saltwater? How much you spending? For me, right now I'm thinking Isla Holbox.
    Holbox is very cool, I was there a few years back. We were there for the migration of the bigger fish, but we did ok with the babies in the Lagoons.

For the OP, Striper Fishing on Cape Cod in June is pretty effing sweet too.

I've done the striper on the flats thing near Portland ME. Very cool, and very much like flats fishing anywhere.

One of the coolest things was seeing the stripers in the waves on the beaches. They were acting like seals or dolphins. Notice how I didn't say I was catching those. I couldn't figure those stripers out.

Still way too broad a question. For example, my wife got me 3 days on the Livingston/Bozeman spring creeks one birthday, (with flight, hotel, etc.), and I thought that was pretty fucking cool. We've done that a few times before and since.

If it was 3 days of steelheading on the Methow in November, (let's say when I lived in San Francisco), I might not have been as psyched.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I've done the striper on the flats thing near Portland ME. Very cool, and very much like flats fishing anywhere.

One of the coolest things was seeing the stripers in the waves on the beaches. They were acting like seals or dolphins. Notice how I didn't say I was catching those. I couldn't figure those stripers out.

Still way too broad a question. For example, my wife got me 3 days on the Livingston/Bozeman spring creeks one birthday, (with flight, hotel, etc.), and I thought that was pretty fucking cool. We've done that a few times before and since.

If it was 3 days of steelheading on the Methow in November, (let's say when I lived in San Francisco), I might not have been as psyched.
    I've fished the flats in Kodiak like that, waves full of salmon. Fish hitting you, good times.

There is no fishing here

Budget?

Would you be going with?

-My Dad came up here for his 60th during Pinks, he just about shit himself laughing and catching all day.
    On the road system you don't need a guide, just be friendly down at the brewery, and if I'm here I'll set you up.
    Last edited by DeathVan; 12-06-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Unfortunately I don't really have much other information.... other than essentially what I posted. He loves fishing in SC where he catches Redfish all day long, he loves fishing for bonefish (which I'm not paying for), and he loved fishing in Montana a few years ago. Budget is not really high... and honestly, he's not a big fan of guided trips. From what I gather, he'd rather do a day with a guide and then explore the area himself.

Alaska might be an option over the summer as well, although flights from SC would be a PITA.

I'm really just trying to figure out where I should even start looking since I have no clue about this stuff. I don't fish at all.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    ...not a big fan of guided trips...

...I don't fish at all...
    does not compute.

Oregon has some great fishing...Metolius, Deschutes, Umpqua, la la la
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

There is no best spot, however if you want to fish AK I can help you out. I've got about a billion ideas for insane trips up here (just, I'm broke as hell). Its easy enough to get up here, and really the rest of the country doesn't compare trout fishing wise. And salmon are pretty cool I guess...

Flats fishing for humpies on Kodiak is actually pretty unreal.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Flats fishing for humpies on Kodiak is actually pretty unreal.
    Or silvers or reds, humpies are there for when nothing else is around. The mouth of the Buskin is a great flat, you can wade out a long ways and really get into the fish.

OK, how bout this, book him a day with this guy:
    http://www.bonefishwhisperer.com/ then he stays and fishes Biscayne Bay on his own with the guy's kayaks, flies and newly learned techniques. Nearby, kinda like what he des, but just different enough that he sees some new area and learns something. Miami ain't so bad either.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Salmon fly hatch of the Colorado river!

I was going to suggest some redfish in the gulf, but it sounds like he gets that already. I say GYE, since it sounds like he doesn't get really large trout fishing very often..also, it would give him a chance to see some mountains, etc. and not just fish. Rent an RV for a week and hang out in the Teton's...doesn't get much better then that...nice camp fire, flexibility on where to go...stuff to see when not fishing.

The one trip that would just be awesome, but not sure how fit he is...multi day raft trip down the gunni during the salmon fly hatch...just sick fishing.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Or silvers or reds, humpies are there for when nothing else is around. The mouth of the Buskin is a great flat, you can wade out a long ways and really get into the fish.
    Yeah man! Fun times god I miss the rock
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

C'mon down sometime.
    I'll have a house 5 days from now.

Silvers in the Pasagshak flats can be killer and hooking up a king way out in front of Monashaka is Rowdy!

-we're out on the ice now

If he is after trout, come to the Holston and Watagua rivers here in East Tennessee. Holston sports about 5-6,000 fish per mile at the moment, and has become one of the premier trout streams in the East. Few big ones thrown in as well. Watauga isn't quite as good, but near.

There are stripers as well in the lake below. He can hit a guide for about $300 for an all day float trip, about half of that for a wading trip. Hell, if I'm not working he can go with me, or we can go in the afternoons after work. He'll have to leave the whipping stick at home and fish with hardware!! I actually allowed someone to put one in the boat the other day though, but wouldn't let him use it.

[IMG][/IMG]
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Unfortunately I don't really have much other information.... other than essentially what I posted. He loves fishing in SC where he catches Redfish all day long, he loves fishing for bonefish (which I'm not paying for), and he loved fishing in Montana a few years ago. Budget is not really high... and honestly, he's not a big fan of guided trips. From what I gather, he'd rather do a day with a guide and then explore the area himself.

Alaska might be an option over the summer as well, although flights from SC would be a PITA.

I'm really just trying to figure out where I should even start looking since I have no clue about this stuff. I don't fish at all.
    The GYE is definitely my vote. There are almost infinite miles of streams to walk. Plenty of guides for a day or two.

he loved fishing in Montana a few years ago. Budget is not really high... and honestly, he's not a big fan of guided trips. From what I gather, he'd rather do a day with a guide and then explore the area himself.

since I have no clue about this stuff. I don't fish at all.
    Uh, yeah....just buy him a plane ticket to Idaho Falls and set him up with a rental car and a couple of nights in and around YNP. You'll both be happy. You because its affordable and him, as a self-starter, because of the huge variety of accessable options in and around the park. Just don't send him out here during peak runoff! AK is truly great but it aint cheap and access into the real backcountry, by himself and packing all his gear? Forget about that. He'll need a lodge and multiple plane flghts and that is $$$$$. These guys who are fortunate to live up there with all their stuff at hand forget what a collosal pain and expense it is for the rest of us. To get from Idaho to the Kanektok River in AK, I had to take Jackson>Denver>Anchorage>Dillingham>Kanektok headwater lake and then to get back, Quinhagak>Bethel>Anchorage>Denver>Jackson. Lots o' coin, 4 days of waiting around in airports plus nearly 18 hours stuffed into a plane seat. It was worth it but it was definitely a trip of a lifetime and we couldn't have done a backcountry float trip without an outfitter/guide and all his gear. Try stuffing all you need for AK into one 50lb duffel...it ain't easy! But, budget sorta rules AK out - I spent around $5500 doing it "on a budget" almost ten years ago.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 12-07-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Does he come and visit you in Colorado? Take him up to the Frying Pan. They bottom release from the dam, so the fishing's good in the winter and there's nobody around.
    Last edited by Shredhead; 12-07-2012 at 10:46 AM.