10 year old Sidis are dead. What next?

My Sidi Dragons have finally gone to shoe heaven.
    Loved them and first thought was to buy the same shoe again, however, I'm pretty much done with XC racing and am pretty locked into AM/FR so I started thinking about more of a hike-a-bike friendly clipless shoe. (I have 5.10s for platform use)
    That said, I would like to get into Enduro racing so perhaps I do need a somewhat stiffer sole (should I stick with Sidis after all?)
    I need a slightly wide, D width, toe box. (Rules out the Mavic Alpine I've read great things about)

Anyway, looking for suggestions to put on my short list to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

I have been looking at some specialized Rime mtb shoes that fit like my 10 yo sidis, but have a nice vibram sole. I think that they are a happy medium between the two, still pretty stiff and light from what I could tell.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr...shoes/rime-mtb

I picked up the 5.10 maltese falcon for when I want to ride clipless (commuting/etc) and I like them. I wear the 5.10 freerider for XC (anything not lift access) riding and they feel stiffer but just as comfortable. They've got the standard stealth rubber sole, so you should have plenty of grip for hike a bike. A friend has the hellcats, which look essentially the same, just a bit beefier and heavier.

Have you tried on the Alpine? I bought a pair this year and I have a wide foot as well (buy my runners EE). They were a bit narrow at first but stretched a bit and felt fine after some use. I've been really happy with them. I've heard good things about the Rimes and the Pearl Izumi X-Alp as well.

I had the X-alp for a while, it was a comfortable shoe, but the ratchets went to shit immediately, and if the shoes got wet, they weighed a ton and took a while to dry.

Been riding Sidis for AM and XC for last 12 years (mine last me about 6-7 years each). If they lasted you 10 years, then get another pair...

Wow, good job. My Sidis lasted 2 years before they went to shit and the soles peeled off.

I've had many pairs of Specialized shoes. Comfy, inexpensive, durable. My Sidis only hit one of those targets.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Been riding Sidis for AM and XC for last 12 years (mine last me about 6-7 years each). If they lasted you 10 years, then get another pair...
    Like I said, that was my first instinct, however, the one thing Sidis aren't great at is hike-a-bike. The stiff soles, while making them excellent for XC and road racing, makes walking in rocky terrain very sketchy.
    I'm wondering if a slightly softer shoe would be better for Enduro type racing and riding.

I would recommend the Giro Privateer shoe. Great fit, not too stiff, on par with Sidis but more functional.

Pretty sure you answered your own question there. Sidis are bomber and last forever

Shimano SH-MT53 (mid-top)
    Shimano SH-MT43 (low-top)
    Shimano SH-MT33 (low-top)
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Have you tried on the Alpine? I bought a pair this year and I have a wide foot as well (buy my runners EE). They were a bit narrow at first but stretched a bit and felt fine after some use. I've been really happy with them. I've heard good things about the Rimes and the Pearl Izumi X-Alp as well.
    Would you say they run small, large or true to size?

Next year Pearl Izumi is coming out with the X project which addresses this exact need, a light and stiff carbon soled shoe with grip and a flexible toe. 2 carbon versions and 1 plastic.

I've been using Mavic Mantras which have been excellent, carbon sole and very grippy but they're a narrow fit.

Specialized Rime is plastic but looks good.

Shimano M162 and Grio Privateer are very nice for different reasons. Both are rubbery on the outside. Would work great is purely clipless pedals with no platform 162's look like the sole is made for Shimano's trail pedal with the little cage.
    Some shoes like the Spesh Tahoe or the 5.10 Hellcat/maltese/? Are as stiff or stiffer than my PI select entry level shoes and are lace style.

Sent from my DROID2
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Next year Pearl Izumi is coming out with the X project which addresses this exact need, a light and stiff carbon soled shoe with grip and a flexible toe. 2 carbon versions and 1 plastic.
    This shoe is pretty killer. I got a chance to mess with one a few weeks ago. Lopes had a lot to do with its design and R&D. It WILL be my next shoe. Its coming out in March 2013.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Quote Originally Posted by Crinkle View Post
    It WILL be my next shoe.
    Without a doubt, same here, it's about fuckin' time there's more of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Would you say they run small, large or true to size?
    Feel pretty true to size.

impressive.

Now, please, has anyone ridden the M162 with Trail pedals. I'm trying to see if the shoes are actually designed to sit on the "platform".
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Crinkle View Post
    This shoe is pretty killer. I got a chance to mess with one a few weeks ago. Lopes had a lot to do with its design and R&D. It WILL be my next shoe. Its coming out in March 2013.
    Yup. I wore one for the afternoon at Dirt Demo, it was fucking amazing. Light, supple, good grip, excellent balance and walkability off the bike and pedals like a stiff shoe. I really did not want to give it back. I think they might be offering a different or additional color for production.

Stuck, Pearl is owned by Shimano USA. I'd imagine there was some testing and riding done with the XT and XTR trail pedals...I wouldn't worry about it if running SPDs. If you are running Mallets, well, you've got other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    I wear the 5.10 freerider for XC (anything not lift access) riding and they feel stiffer but just as comfortable. They've got the standard stealth rubber sole, so you should have plenty of grip for hike a bike.
    Don't own the shoes, but just saw that they were on sale: http://www.backcountry.com/five-ten-...e-mens-fvt0029 Pretty gruesome picture of when a dude's leg slipped off his pedals too.

Was looking at the BC.com page and noticed the Mavic Mantras:
    http://www.backcountry.com/mavic-mantra-bike-shoe-mens

These sound like the perfect shoe; carbon outsole, but tuned softer and with rubber lugs.
    Anyone have any experience with them?

Hey Roxtar. Did you ever get a new pair? Any beta? I was thinking the x projects would do the trick but I can't find them for sale anywhere. I read on mtbr that they had issues and had to go back to the drawing board but have no idea how valid that is. Any Mags heard anything about this? Not sure how long I can wait, may have to go with the rimes..

I went with the Mavic Alpine XL. Finally got to use them in New Mexico last week and have been very happy with them so far. No, they don't fit like a Sidi but what does? They are excellent for hike-a-bike (Did that a lot when the local Los Alamos gang beat on me like a rented mule ), were pretty comfortable, and plenty stiff.