Remote PC Access- What Works?

Need to set up laptop for remote network access to work. Have a small office network and an outside IT guy that keeps software going. He set up Team Viewer, but it is much less than ok.

I would like to have my work home screen appear and function as if I was there (so I can go skiing)

Seems like I have to find the solution so any ideas are appreciated.
    Battle lines being drawn, nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong, old people speaking their minds, getting so much resistance from behind.

First question is what are the issues with Teamviewer that makes it less than OK (I don't use it much but know plenty that are happy with it and use it)? There are a number of ways and other companies like Logmein, Citrix (Goto My PC) and others that are just web based. Do not require much other than installing the tools and high speed internet connection. Then there are options like the Windows Remote Desktop, VNC and others that require ports to be open on a router, the software be installed and a bit more complicated.

Also no mention of what you are running for computer operating system- version of Windows or even Mac OS?

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    First question is what are the issues with Teamviewer that makes it less than OK (I don't use it much but know plenty that are happy with it and use it)? There are a number of ways and other companies like Logmein, Citrix (Goto My PC) and others that are just web based. Do not require much other than installing the tools and high speed internet connection. Then there are options like the Windows Remote Desktop, VNC and others that require ports to be open on a router, the software be installed and a bit more complicated.

Also no mention of what you are running for computer operating system- version of Windows or even Mac OS?
    Running windows 7. Team viewer issues are screen compatibilities, changing font sizes issues, mostly just doesn't always connect. More often than not, it doesn't.
    Just looking for reliability. Could be set up as IT guy was new to it, but he seems to be new to everything.
    Battle lines being drawn, nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong, old people speaking their minds, getting so much resistance from behind.

You could set up a VPN, then just use the native remote desktop in windows...If you don't need to actually use the remote computer, but just need to access the files on it, you can setup an SSH server on the remote machine. Login with an RSA key and it is very secure. You can even share desktops via SSH, but it can be a bit more challenging.

VPNs can also be complicated to setup and secure. Compared to VPN, I think SSH is pretty simple.

Do you just need remote access to your work network (IE - VPN) or do you truly need to be able remotely operate your work desktop?

I've had good luck with Teamviewer and Logmein for basic stuff. VPN is the way to go for remote network access, although can be slow.

Running windows 7.

Teamview issues include screen compatibility, having to keep changing resolution and font size. Mostly it just doesn't always connect. Could be IT guy inexperience as it was his first.

Most of the time the screen issues come up because one of the 2 are set up with different resolutions. Compare the 2 video resolutions (desktop with a really big monitor and small font sizes as an example and then you want to view that 24 inch image on a little 14 or 15 inch laptop screen and have the same image readable??)
    What size sceens and video resolutions on the PC's?

Some other replies mention VPN- which can have some advantages or big disadvantages depending on the programs you want to use. If the software you use have big data files, then VPN can be a bad choice. Works fine for smaller data files (Word or Office files, etc.) if you have the right equipment for the routers and knowledgeable tech to set it up. Offers increased security too, but it is always the best solution for everyone.

And one more question- Windows 7 Home or Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate on the Desktop that you want to connect too?

The does not always connect could be the tech- since all the software needs is the computer to be on the internet and the software loaded, hard to say if the issue is the computer you are trying to connect too, or your network or internet connection being problematic???

Logmein just seems to work for me and they have a free version (with minor limitations like no sound or other advanced features that the paid versions support.)

I use the free version of logmein. It works for me and I'm a computer dolt.

In addition to Team Viewer, you can try using various other remote support services such as logmeinrescue, gosupportnow, GoToMyPC etc. in order to establish remote network access for laptop.