Cost of living situation

I plan on moving out west sometime this upcoming year. I know it's early but trying to get a feel for the different options that are out there. Between CO, UT and Tahoe; what are some of the major cost of living situations out there.

As far as job fairs in Oct/Nov is it easy to find a job or is it a crap shoot. I work in IT right now and don't expect to find a job out there that gives me a descent chance to ride unless there's some 2nd/3rd shift positions out there which I'm sure are near impossible to get into. I've worked at ski shops for about 3 years a while back and it wasn't the greatest situation cause I was always working during the day and only could ride at night which is okay here in Ohio but isn't much of an option anywhere worth moving to. I think the main job I'd be looking into would be a snowboard instructor cause at least I'd be on my board and have experience teaching (just not certified in snowboarding).

Any help or guidance would be great. I know it's a pretty broad question with tons of variables but whatever else you can think of, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance guys

Quote Originally Posted by Acoustic View Post
    I plan on moving out west sometime this upcoming year. I know it's early but trying to get a feel for the different options that are out there. Between CO, UT and Tahoe; what are some of the major cost of living situations out there.

As far as job fairs in Oct/Nov is it easy to find a job or is it a crap shoot. I work in IT right now and don't expect to find a job out there that gives me a descent chance to ride unless there's some 2nd/3rd shift positions out there which I'm sure are near impossible to get into. I've worked at ski shops for about 3 years a while back and it wasn't the greatest situation cause I was always working during the day and only could ride at night which is okay here in Ohio but isn't much of an option anywhere worth moving to. I think the main job I'd be looking into would be a snowboard instructor cause at least I'd be on my board and have experience teaching (just not certified in snowboarding).

Any help or guidance would be great. I know it's a pretty broad question with tons of variables but whatever else you can think of, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance guys
    IT in Utah is SLAMMING........and while i personally wont do 2nd/3rd shifts I believe there are some available. Lots of datacenters and whatnot popping up. good luck...best move you'll ever make.

Yeah after takin' a quick look on Craigslist, it seems like the rent, jobs and just about everything else are a little more abundant. Right now I do field engineering specializing in networked printers. Is housing affordable in the Cottonwood area cause most of the places I'm lookin' at seem to be around an hour drive from SLC and I'm sure that's when it's a blue bird summer day. I'm really trying to stick to $500 a month (rent/utilities) and will probably just live off savings for a couple months until I can find a job that is as stable as possible. I hate jumping from job to job unless the extra pay or benefits are worth it.

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    It's all relative to your geographic location.

When I lived in Edwards, CO(down the road from beaver creek) I was paying 650 a month for rent but I had 2 roommates. Utilities were extra. I would imagine being in IT you made considerably more than you would instructing so adjusting your life style to the change in income could be tough. Trying to move during the beginning, middle or end of the ski season will be tough as the good positions will either be taken or shutting down.

I moved to Utah in august, because jobs were more available than a small mountain town and rent is cheaper. As far as jobs, I was hired right away at Snowbird in a restaurant working evenings, in the summer and fall it was part time, generally two nights a week. It's going full-time now that winter is here. I had a second job during the day I just quit. I don't know about IT jobs, I just did basic labor/entry-level stuff, but I was able to get a job within a week. If you want to ski a lot, restaurant jobs for dinner shift are tough to beat. There's fewer jobs open in summer at resorts but also less competition. Snowbird at least just hired a bunch of people in the past few weeks. Housing is affordable, $400 plus utilities for a house with a couple roommates will be easy to find, though I got super lucky and found a room in Cottonwood Heights a fellow TGR'er had for less than that.

Yeah to be honest I'd like to take a general labor job for the winter time so I'm not workin' 9 to 5. I play a lot of ice hockey in beer leagues here in Ohio and saw SLC has a descent amount of them scattered throughout the city. I got in touch with 2 of the rinks out there today and they said they're always lookin' for people to work/ref part time which honestly wouldn't be a bad gig especially if they're open in the summer.

Move to Utah 2 years ago to ski and eventually find a job. Grew up in Cincinnati and skied at perfect north a lot. Went to Ohio state and skies snow trails and mad river. Quit my job in cinci and took off out here. Girlfriend and I both found jobs within 2 weeks of getting here. Both of us had business degrees from Ohio state. Economy is bombin, skiing is unmatched, there are even some decent hockey leagues. My only complaint is the Mormons and their restrictions on alcohol. Far different from the atmosphere in Ohio. 3.2 beer, 2 ppl to buy a pitcher, no happy hours, can't pour alcohol in front of you at some places depending on license and you have to buy something to eat with your beverage. Say good bye to a generous bartender over pouring... It's all regulated. But, if you get in with some decent skiers / boarders . Coworkers and look past the bullshit you'll be thoroughly impressed here. I think once I'm married and have kids, ill move along as I wouldn't want them being the outcasts in the classroom since they aren't LDS and the school systems have shitty ratings. As for living, check out Craigslist,Ksl, and some of employee housing resort pages . Wouldn't recommend living outside salt lake county. Salt lake is 50/50 LDS while neighboring counties go up to 90/10. You likely won't fit in. Just my .02

hey can you get pm's yet? if not go make about 20 more random posts and comments so you can read the 2 I sent you
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....