Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I think they are called Super Glide Pro. Not much grip expected, but a huge surface [Protest] area to compensate. Damned expensive ($200 where I live).
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    I think they are called Super Glide Pro. Not much grip expected, but a huge surface [Protest] area to compensate. Damned expensive ($200 where I live).
    These?
    turquoise color?

Did you get 170 cm length for 177 cm Protests?

I picked up some bd glidelite mix skins for the protests.
    Aggressive in my own mind

In Tahoe and the Eastern Sierra, I loved the Dynafit Speedskins - both the grip, glide and attachment system. I only experienced issues a couple of times when I was careless and got the glue really wet - but after scrapping the snow and ice off the edge of my skis, they worked well again. Although I did lose the little tip attachment once and didn't have a spare on me - that sucked.

But now I am changing skis (non-Dynafits) and going to try BD Glidelite Mixed (will be a bit heavier, but similar in feeling and structure to the Dynafit skins). Haven't had good experience with G3s in the past and used BDs way back in the day, so might give them another shot. Heard mixed reviews on Geckos so don't want to take the chances.

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    These?
    turquoise color?

Did you get 170 cm length for 177 cm Protests?

I picked up some bd glidelite mix skins for the protests.
    Yes, turquoise. Fucking ugly, but I don't care

I could not get 170s so bought 180s and removed tip loop, trimmed, re-attached tip loop.

Such a nice thin skin in the pack. I had grippy snow, so no fair comment on that. Great glide. And dry! I hope the water repellant lasts a while. Melt water beaded and ran off the skins. They are dry when you take them off. And I was on very wet snow.

I have high hopes for these skins and am hoping they play out well. Good job Pomoca.
    Life is not lift served.

anybody know what the difference is between the G3 alpinists and the BC.com branded alpinists? Looks basically the same, but there's got to be a reason that one is $30 cheaper than the other.

How much does the Pomoca tail clip adjust? Looking at 180cm ones to replace my old ass BD Ascensions for my 186 rens.. You can get them cheap-ish from bc.com if not for the overseas shipping. Still cheaper than local scandiland pricing though So.. Should I swing for the 180 ones or get the 190 and just cut them down?

I recently replaced the tail strap on a G3 alpinist for a bro, the strap is molded in so I had to cut off the old strap and rivet on a new BD strap which is all the shop had, cutting made the skin even shorter so that the alpinist JUST fit bro's skis on I think the last hole which is something to think about when buying skins ...make sure they are plenty long

If I was buying a set of skins for a set of skis right now ... I see the EXTRA adjustability of the BD tip/ the easily replaceable tail piece as a real asset and the weight hit is next to nothing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by rewbn View Post
    How much does the Pomoca tail clip adjust? Looking at 180cm ones to replace my old ass BD Ascensions for my 186 rens..
    If it helps: I tried the 170cm skins on my 177 skis and there was only just a little bit of strap left to pull on the tail clip - not quite enough to be practical. I'm guessing that 180 skins on 186 skis would be a 50/50 bet. You might just get away with it. If you buy the longer skin and trim you just need to drill out the tip clip rivets. The instruction book has info on measuring and attaching the tip clip to fit your ski length.
    Life is not lift served.

I've got two skin/ski setups right now and they both have their pluses and minus's. - BD Ascension and K2 (Pomoca)

The BD skin's are with my Line Prophet/Marker F12 setup for shorter tours. Black Diamonds have great glide and the attachment system is great. Their downfall is they are heavy(ish) and the glue is starting to ball up after 2 seasons. The glue still works fine, but doesn't look as pretty. So I'd say only downfall is the weight.

I use the K2 skins on my touring setup - K2 Sidestash/Dynafit Radicals. On the plus side, the K2 skins are nice and light and the attachment system is slick. However, I have found a major flaw is actually attachment system (combined w' glue that isn't as good) Because the tip strap only attaches as 1 point in the center of the skin (compared to the BD which effectively pulls across the whole to of the skin), this sides of the skin at the tip (and tail) are able to peel out and allow snow to get underneath. I'm quite careful to keep snow of my skins but find that if I do multiple transitions in a day, slowly the snow gets in the sides at the tip and tail and the glue becomes less and less sticky over the day. I did a three day hut trip last year and by the 3rd day the skins barely stuck. So now I take my BD skins on multi day trips cause even though they're a bit heavier, I know the they're going to stay stuck for the whole trip.

I'm hijacking this thread for a question. I just bought some BD drifts off STP (awesome price) and they have some gnarly sidecut on them. They're 138/100/123. What size skins do I get for that? I mean normally I'd think, just cut down the next size up from the widest part of the ski, but if so I'd be buying 140mm skins and hacking off 2 cm on each side at the waist. Seems a bit pointless considering I'm not getting that much actual grip under the rockered tip part of the ski.

I was thinking I could probably just use 120mms, but do people think I could get away with 110s, or am I going to wish I'd got more coverage / grip?

Quote Originally Posted by System_D View Post
    On the plus side, the K2 skins are nice and light and the attachment system is slick. However, I have found a major flaw is actually attachment system (combined w' glue that isn't as good) Because the tip strap only attaches as 1 point in the center of the skin (compared to the BD which effectively pulls across the whole to of the skin), this sides of the skin at the tip (and tail) are able to peel out and allow snow to get underneath.
    Trim the tip and tail of the skins so they are more tapered without the sharply angled flap at the ends. You won't be losing any grip since this area of the skin doesn't contact the snow anyway, and you'll get way less snow buildup underneath. IMO the Pomoca glue is not less good than BD, just less sticky - whether it's sticky enough to stay on your skis is the real question. I've had very good results with the Pomoca glue on Dynafit skins over the years, which appears to be the same as K2's (never used a pair of K2 branded Pomocas, though). You'll notice that the newest iteration of BD glue is quite a bit less sticky than previous versions, too.

Minor PSA: perhaps fondle in-shop the new Pomoca tip-clip before buying. The widest tip it will accommodate is 105mm... and even then I'm not so sure. Also, the designs is a little funky - a loop made of two thin cables that just doesn't want to sit on the ski tip so well. To be fair, I've done no field testing, but I'm returning the 140mm Pomoca I bought for some Praxis Pow boards.

I like Pomoca skins a lot, but I have my doubts about the tip attachment design.
    Life is not lift served.

Wow that new tip clip looks funky. What was wrong with the old one? Works just fine. I'm more skeptical towards the tailclip. Managed to break the plastic rivet keeping it from sliding off the first week of use. Replaced with metal rivet and no real issues since, but to be honest I haven't used them THAT much so far. Still, it just doesn't seem to sit as well as BD or G3s tail clips.

Quote Originally Posted by JD May View Post
    I'm hijacking this thread for a question. I just bought some BD drifts off STP (awesome price) and they have some gnarly sidecut on them. They're 138/100/123. What size skins do I get for that? I mean normally I'd think, just cut down the next size up from the widest part of the ski, but if so I'd be buying 140mm skins and hacking off 2 cm on each side at the waist. Seems a bit pointless considering I'm not getting that much actual grip under the rockered tip part of the ski.

I was thinking I could probably just use 120mms, but do people think I could get away with 110s, or am I going to wish I'd got more coverage / grip?
    The 120s will work for full coverage from the waist back, you don't give up much by leaving 7mm on each side uncovered at the tip.

G3 skins bad glue

Me and my friends have skied on G3 skins for a season (about 50 times) and the glue has gone bad already! We have taken good care of the skin (drying, storage, etc) but they leave an unacceptable amount of residue on the skis. Needless to say, it will ruin your runs when going down. A very frustrating situation! Looking at many forums we found that the problem is quite common. Contacting G3 is useless as they will call for bad skin management. My advice is to go for Black Diamond skins.

Cool first post. Even went to the effort of changing the font.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Quote Originally Posted by pmartin8 View Post
    Me and my friends have skied on G3 skins for a season (about 50 times) and the glue has gone bad already! We have taken good care of the skin (drying, storage, etc) but they leave an unacceptable amount of residue on the skis. Needless to say, it will ruin your runs when going down. A very frustrating situation! Looking at many forums we found that the problem is quite common. Contacting G3 is useless as they will call for bad skin management. My advice is to go for Black Diamond skins.
    I've had the same problem with black diamond skins. It happens. And it's fixable if you have patience, an iron, some paper and a beer or two. I prefer G3's after lots of days on both. Pomocas are better than both.

It happens with all skins, heat gun/scrape all the old hlue a reglue with tube of gold label
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Anyone use these??? https://www.skiskinsonline.com/

if I don't find a good deal used here in the next week or so, I'm thinking of supporting a ski legend and taking a chance with them.

I think those are just Climbing Skins Direct, rebooted?

I'd just buy BD or G3 skins on sale here: http://www.wildernessx.com/snowsport...ing-skins.html

They might be. Maybe Tom made those clips for CSD, and that's why you think they are rebooted?

That wilderness site is good, but the G3s are only available in super short lengths and BC.com matches the BD price I need. Either way, thanks for the link, good to know for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I think those are just Climbing Skins Direct, rebooted?

I'd just buy BD or G3 skins on sale here: http://www.wildernessx.com/snowsport...ing-skins.html
    Someone bought Climbing Skins Direct
    See this thread
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...mpany-USA-MADE
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Shit -- no advice but glad I read this thread. Apparently I too was an idiot on using the Colltex camlock mechanism -- thanks for the vids.

CSD always had a good reputation, imagine that will continue with the new owner.

Don't hear much about Contour skins this side of the Atlantic, with their hybrid glue.

Quote Originally Posted by pmartin8 View Post
    [COLOR=#3F4549][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Me and my friends have skied on G3 skins for a season (about 50 times) and the glue has gone bad already!
    Sounds like water in the glue.
    http://snowboardmountaineer.com/tech-tip-skins/