Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Widen your stance!

Anyone in the same boat as me where you learned to ski with a narrow stance (bump skiing) now having a hard time transitioning to a wide stance with wider skis? How did you force yourself to open up your stance on challenging terrain? I resort back to my old stance when things get tough. I feel like my narrow stance is messing up ability to release my edges cleanly and quickly and tearing the out of my pant cuffs.

Ski with some friends who constantly push you over whenever your stance is too narrow. That's honestly how I broke the habit. Once I finally realized just how much more stable a wider stance really is, I naturally started integrating it into my skiing.

Or spend a bunch of time on some skis that are 130+ underfoot. Automatically forces you into a wider stance.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

PM Larry Craig.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

How about skiing with a Thighmaster?

This is going to spiral out of control isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    PM Larry Craig.
    now THERE is a guy who "skis" with a wide stance!

well played.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

repetition.
    theres a bunch of stats out there on muscle memory, but most researchers say 1000+ to make something muscle memory and even more if you want to change a habit.
    im working on the same thing with my stance and i just try to make a conscious effort as i ski.

Quote Originally Posted by camlax View Post
    repetition.
    theres a bunch of stats out there on muscle memory, but most researchers say 1000+ to make something muscle memory and even more if you want to change a habit.
    im working on the same thing with my stance and i just try to make a conscious effort as i ski.
    as boring as this answer is, it's the truth. you can, slightly, speed up the process with visualisation and a wider stance as soon as you do anything "skiing-like" aka squats, lunges in the gym or running downhill through a forest (quite popular in places as preseason workout)
    "muscle memory" is a bitch.

Go to gordycamp and get called 'Stein' for three days of training and especially drunken and public video analysis. It cured me!

drills man. break the bad form.

you ski feet locked together because you don't know how to operate your feet independently. feet together is a crutch that simplifies complex independent motion into 1 singular motion. its also super passive, lacks power, and has bad style.

dr marshal proscribes:

ski a run or 3 edging only the downhill ski (i.e. 1 ski on the snow at a time)
    ski a run or 3 edging only the uphill ski (i.e. 1 ski on the snow at a time)
    ski a run or 3 on only 1 ski, with the other in the air, or even better not even on the foot (more advanced)
    ski a run or 3 on only the other foot.

repeat as needed.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Take a lesson. You're doing it wrong.

When I think about it, I force my stance to widen while skiing, but mostly I just ski and try to forget about my bump skier/1950s stance. I've never felt like it was a huge detriment to my skiing, just looks a bit funky to people watching. Just have to send it a bit harder so they say "look how hard that dude with the tight bumper stance is crushing it"

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Skiing View Post
    Just have to send it a bit harder so they say "look how hard that dude with the tight bumper stance is crushing it"
    proof or it didn't happen
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Well, I noticed as soon as I let my stance drift open the Rubies started floating waaaaaay better. After that, I didn't really need to focus on it.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Smash your balls between two large bricks before getting on the lift. I guarantee you will ski with a wide stance.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

as long as your stance width allows independent movement of each legs its wide enough.

dare I say most coaches including some high dollar big mountain style on here preach a stance width way to wide.

Go to wide and the problems are just as bad but different as being too narrow.

Most separation people see in pro skiers/FIS racers is actually vertical separation and not a blanket "wide stance" with that said if your legs are locked together then its way to narrow.

Stance width should be functional nothing more and nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    dr marshal proscribes:

ski a run or 3 edging only the downhill ski (i.e. 1 ski on the snow at a time)
    ski a run or 3 edging only the uphill ski (i.e. 1 ski on the snow at a time)
    ski a run or 3 on only 1 ski, with the other in the air, or even better not even on the foot (more advanced)
    ski a run or 3 on only the other foot.

repeat as needed.
    I tried this and almost killed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    as long as your stance width allows independent movement of each legs its wide enough.

dare I say most coaches including some high dollar big mountain style on here preach a stance width way to wide.

Most separation people see in pro skiers/FIS racers is actually vertical separation and not a blanket "wide stance" with that said if your legs are locked together then its way to narrow.

Stance width should be functional nothing more and nothing less.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Smash your balls between two large bricks before getting on the lift. I guarantee you will ski with a wide stance.
    But definitely this. DO THIS!
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

I kind of like having multiple turn shapes and stances in the arsenal.

wiggle wiggle wiggle

Though some are more aesthetic than others...
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Ski with one of these in

I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Bungee cord around the knees (just above) and keep it place by maintaining tension. Also think of beginning each turn by leading the downhill knee into which helps with independent movement. I agree that you can also go too wide and anyone harping on that one thing may not be paying attention to you. Hip width or thereabouts is generally fine. That being said to encourage the change going too wide can help get you to the right width in the end.

The bungee cord is for easier terrain by the way. As mentioned the repetition with it on easier terrain helps with the muscle memory to take the stance into tougher terrain.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

Most separation people see in pro skiers/FIS racers is actually vertical separation
    +1 on these points. Too wide and you end up supporting your turn with the inside ski as a function of your stance

ski ballet....

Quote Originally Posted by chatton18 View Post
    Ski with one of these in

Yeah that's not going to work. You'll just feel gripped all of the time and end up gaping more.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Keep in mind, stance is often the result of canting, or lack there of. What 'feels' natural can feel off if you change cuff angles by <0.5 degrees. Riding inside or outside edges would be the result, unless you widen or narrow your stance to find a 'flat' ski.

Any change to your desired stance should start with your boot-fitter.
    Crippled but free, I was blind all the time, I was learning to 'ski'.

The best backcountry advice ever given on the TGR forums:

Quote Originally Posted by skibee View Post
    Tits are a good thing, if making a good decision so you can live to see tits again is all that motivates you then so be it!!!