Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    *EDIT - looks like I'm getting the kid threads confused...copying to Ongoing Stoke thread

Decided to ditch the leash and edgie-wedgie to teaching my 3 year old...and so far has worked really well. My role has been basically yelling to her 'PIZZA' loudly for her to control her speed while I'm next to her so I grab her if need be. When she gets going too fast and in the backseat I tell her to 'clap her hands' and that seems to put her forward again. The 6 year old is skiing all over the mountain and after a lesson recently in Telluride, we may move him into skis a bit longer. His only issue right now is on really steep runs where he tends to default to a snow plow...I'm trying to get him to traverse steeper slopes with hands forward and skis parallel all the way across the slope to slow him down and for control.

3 year old is on 70cm but may go to 88cm - the 6 year old is on 100cm but may go to 115cm. Both kids are in 95% - 100% in height and weight for their age

3 year old getting ready for MLK weekend in Telluride...

She's actually using her edges quite well...

The 6 year old improving slowly but surely...not going to push him too hard though as I want him to have a blast skiing.

Last edited by skier666; 01-21-2015 at 05:51 PM.

psuhing hand forward cna quite often lead to butts dropping back.

^^^^^ you cna see in tha picture above that the 6 year old does not seperate at the femur/hip joint and he can/should that is the real key to being forward. Practicing how to ski offensively and parrallel on easier slopes will lead to making parrallel permanent, then slowly feed back in the pitch.

i

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    psuhing hand forward cna quite often lead to butts dropping back.

^^^^^ you cna see in tha picture above that the 6 year old does not seperate at the femur/hip joint and he can/should that is the real key to being forward. Practicing how to ski offensively and parrallel on easier slopes will lead to making parrallel permanent, then slowly feed back in the pitch.

i
    Take your illiterate PSIA OCD stoke-sucking bullshit somewhere else.

666 is doing what matters, making skiing fun for his kids.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post

3 year old getting ready for MLK weekend in Telluride...

That's an awesome picture

Loving the kid stoked! After getting over initial angst of a missed adult pow day this dry year, I had an awesome day with my 8-year-old girl at Baker on Monday. Action shot on lower Canuks - her second time because she said she didn't " nail it" the first time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1421911415101.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	162984  

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post

right kids parent request me because I make their kids hate skiing. I am just giving the tech stuff its up to him to make it fun. the better you are the more fun it is.

^^^BWIPA, No idea why parents would turn your illiterate egomaniac PSIA OCD stoke sucking falling leaf dolphin turning dumb ass loose on their kids. Maybe because they want to get away from the munchkins for a few hours and know nothing about you?

Whatever the reason, nobody here asked for your e-critique. FOADIAF.

Hey stop you guys there's kids here.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

^^^BWIPA, No idea why parents would turn your illiterate egomaniac PSIA OCD stoke sucking falling leaf dolphin turning dumb ass loose on their kids. Maybe because they want to get away from the munchkins for a few hours and know nothing about you?

eh I have ton of request hours from adults, I guess in your opinion they are just clueless though. BTw i bet you 100 bucks you are unable to do a dolphin turn. BTW how big of stick was put up your ass?
    Last edited by BushwackerinPA; 01-22-2015 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I'm torn on this. First kid I went no pole until he was ready to plant. Second and Third I made them "earn" poles by getting out of the wedge. I had to cut down some really short poles to have them fit, but it makes getting through lines and around flats a hell of a lot easier on them and me. Easy = fun which may result in some bad form to fix latter, but at this point I think I like my pole strategy. Plus, the number one thing that will screw up my kids day is the fact that their old man is an uptight idiot which takes me back to the whole this is easier on me idea.
    +1 The last line nails it!

My daughter insisted on poles this year at 4 (actually she was asking for them all summer as well). Thank god. One day (at her request) she even worked on pole plants two runs in a row and was kind of getting it going slow on steep pitches. The first day was a pain in the ass and we took them away from her a few times just to get down the hill but other than that it has been great. She handles them getting on the lift perfectly already.

I'm all in on the poles!

I put video up of her in the other kids thread so I will spare you guys. I'm kind of confused by these two simultaneous kids threads so I'm just rolling with it

Here's my ski buddy Jason in a rare photo with poles.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1235.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	163007
    He's 15 but functions at about half that age. He comes to our adaptive ski program from one of the high schools on a 10 week ski/board session. Never been on snow before. When I first met him he was afraid of everything and had the attention span of a flashbulb. On our second day he decided to go up a beginner (green/blue) chair. The view looked like this

Name:	IMG_0716.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	163006
    He looked around and said "I've never been this high up before. GET ME DOWN NOW!!! GET ME DOWN!" and melted down. After a little deep breathing and strategic terrain management, he made it down without incident. Took two hours for him to decide to try it again.

Fast forward six weeks. He's graduated from the power wedge. He only uses his poles to navigate the lift mazes and flats around the chairs, otherwise I'm carrying them. He is channeling a race car driver with his hands. His new goal is to ski down from Summit on Mt Bachelor. Using that to get him on terrain that's challenging him more and more.

Today he had the epiphany and started linking parallel turns on legit blue terrain! He bends at the waist not the ankle, he uses his shoulder to start the turn (channeling his driving steeze) instead of tipping, he's in the back seat and his hands drop to his waist every six turns (up from every two). Hardly the PSIA way

And yet, nobody cares. He told me last week that skiing is the only sport he has ever had fun at, and he's negotiating with his parents to get his own gear. His teachers tell me that he's up and ready to go two hours ahead of time. His self confidence is light years ahead of when we first met. He's joking around with his classmates instead of sitting in a corner by himself. We also started working on a new skill today - how to start conversations with girls on the chair.

Will he ever go beyond intermediate terrain? Prolly not - too much else working against him. Is he stoked on skiing? Oh yea. Is he a skier? You decide.

FKNA!

humbled...

...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

telebobski. Damn right he is a skier in my book. He slides on snow just like us so to speak. I am trying to get my school distrct to allow me to take my adaptive kids somewhere but liability issues are a pain in the ass. Reading what U wrote brought a smile to my face. Special kids really are so special.
    always forward but never straight

Here's my ski buddy Jason in a rare photo with poles.

Name:	IMG_1235.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	163007
    He's 15 but functions at about half that age. He comes to our adaptive ski program from one of the high schools on a 10 week ski/board session. Never been on snow before. When I first met him he was afraid of everything and had the attention span of a flashbulb. On our second day he decided to go up a beginner (green/blue) chair. The view looked like this

Name:	IMG_0716.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	163006
    He looked around and said "I've never been this high up before. GET ME DOWN NOW!!! GET ME DOWN!" and melted down. After a little deep breathing and strategic terrain management, he made it down without incident. Took two hours for him to decide to try it again.

Fast forward six weeks. He's graduated from the power wedge. He only uses his poles to navigate the lift mazes and flats around the chairs, otherwise I'm carrying them. He is channeling a race car driver with his hands. His new goal is to ski down from Summit on Mt Bachelor. Using that to get him on terrain that's challenging him more and more.

Today he had the epiphany and started linking parallel turns on legit blue terrain! He bends at the waist not the ankle, he uses his shoulder to start the turn (channeling his driving steeze) instead of tipping, he's in the back seat and his hands drop to his waist every six turns (up from every two). Hardly the PSIA way

And yet, nobody cares. He told me last week that skiing is the only sport he has ever had fun at, and he's negotiating with his parents to get his own gear. His teachers tell me that he's up and ready to go two hours ahead of time. His self confidence is light years ahead of when we first met. He's joking around with his classmates instead of sitting in a corner by himself. We also started working on a new skill today - how to start conversations with girls on the chair.

Will he ever go beyond intermediate terrain? Prolly not - too much else working against him. Is he stoked on skiing? Oh yea. Is he a skier? You decide.
    you realize I am an adaptive Level 3 as well?

Dang, butthurt much?

Bushwacker's advice (I won't even call it critque because it wasn't) may not have been solicited, but your response makes you look like the jerk here.

Just sayin'.
    This is the worst pain EVER!

SKI THE BABIES

This racing thing is bullshit sometimes...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1422311870.525903.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	995.5 KB 
ID:	163116

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    This racing thing is bullshit sometimes...
    It only gets worse as they get older.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

He still manages to throw 2 sets of skis over his shoulder and grab his poles while carrying that bag. Pretty self-contained.

19 Months. First day out, she loved it! Laughed when she was going fast, so much fun.

Name:	WP_20150124_11_35_03_Pro[1].jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	917.8 KB 
ID:	163122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150124_11_44_41_Pro[1].jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	837.9 KB 
ID:	163123
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Little Skiers

A picture of some rippers from our local mountain's kid program. 108 kids this year...35 first timers ranging from k-8. All made it off the bunny hill in the first two weeks (riding the rope tow is way harder than learning to ski). Pretty awesome to see these kids get stoked to ski!

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	163176

Post-training funz at BV!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1424194916.248430.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	758.8 KB 
ID:	164161

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1424194929.094954.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	832.2 KB 
ID:	164162

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1424194941.293913.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1,000.1 KB 
ID:	164163

Post-training funz at BV!

Wow telemike!!! That is so great that your kid is growing up to be a good skier! I'm so happy for you!!!

Hopefully he doesn't die of diseases that were once eliminated and are now roaring back to life because of stupid anti-vaxxers like you!

Owen is not vaccinated for anything.

Fuck you if you don't like it.
    It would be a damn shame to see your little ripper catch the measles because you are too stupid to pull your head out of your ass

I'm actually not too worried about him catching measles but thanks!