Yet another person looking for help moving to UT

If all goes well for me, I'll be out in UT for keeps by the end of the season. Rather than ask for help with where I should get my season pass, what town and neighborhood I should move to, what kind of car I should buy, and other topics that have been addressed endlessly in the past, I'm asking for help finding work for my wife. I put up a thread in the "work or lack of it" forum, but this place gets a lot more Utah eyeballs. My job will let me work from UT with flexible hours, but my wife needs to be hired somewhere out there first. Help us live the dream!

The long and short of it is that she is an elementary school teacher and is definitely the sort of person you want to work with or you want your kid to be around.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...87#post3821787

If you feel the need to hash out some of the more standard advice for me, feel free to inform me (and the world!) of the virtues (or lack thereof) of Mormons, various brands of dropper seatposts, and snow tires for my Subaru.

Thanks.

Good luck with the job search. Hope it happens for y'all.
    watch out for snakes

Cool news. Does she want to keep teaching? I wonder if being non-mormon (I guess she is?) will affect the number of oppotunities. I'm sure it will work out, good luck.

Hugh Conway Guest
    +++ Vibes on the beer scene +++

+++ props for the wife swapping scene +++

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Cool news. Does she want to keep teaching? I wonder if being non-mormon (I guess she is?) will affect the number of oppotunities. I'm sure it will work out, good luck.
    She and I are both your run-of-the-mill, not-particularly-observant New England Irish Catholic. I know that it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of religion for jobs in public schools, but I'm also sure that there must be something an old boys network in at least some of these towns. If she can't find the right job in a classroom, we've heard that you can make as much or more teaching skiing at one of the tonier resorts as you could at most of the public schools, so we're going to see how it plays out.

That's part of the reason I'm reaching out to see if anyone on here has a hookup to a place like Weilenmann in Park City or maybe St. Mark's in SLC or St. Joe's in Ogden.

Sir Shreds....

My wife is a elementary school teacher in canyons school district which covers the S end of the SL valley (Sandy, Draper, Midvale, etc). She's been doing it for 2 years, got a job on the day she graduated from the U. Non-Mo and had no issues getting a job because of it. She says its probably 75/25 Mo non Mo in her school in Sandy. She really digs teaching and really likes her coworkers. She didn't want to go the private/church school thing but to each their own. If your wife has no issues with Mormons than in my wife's experience the Mo's at school won't have an issue with her. Mo's are people just like anyone else, treat them with an ounce of respect you may get a 1/2 ounce back in return You may run into an "old Boys" network in small town rural Utard but we haven't seen it in the Wasatch front school districts she's delt with. My wife says there may be some certifications that yours has to get to teach in Utard. The wife also works part time at a local ski resort and may have some beta on jobs there as well....

Feel free to PM me with any questions and I can put my wife in touch with yours for specifics. If nothing else tramdeck beers on me for a fellow east coaster on your arrival! Good Luck!

^^ This, pretty much.

There are a bunch of schools in the Salt Lake Valley, and none of them should have problems hiring a non-mormon. There are also a couple of Catholic private schools you could look into if you want to play up the Irish Catholic side of things.

I moved to Utah once. It was pretty sweet.

Thanks, Fugitive. I'm not particularly concerned about moving to the land of Mormons. We're just looking to land the right job and house that will allow us to shred the gnar frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Mo's are people just like anyone else, treat them with an ounce of respect you may get a 1/2 ounce back in return
    So you mean not calling a group of people Mo's you fucking cunt?
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Advres: Warrior of Zion

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Advres: Warrior of Zion
    Nah, I never really dug Africa.

My wife is a 2nd grad teacher in the Jordan School District in the south west Salt Lake Valley. We're not Mormon, she had 4 job offers the week we got to town. Things have changed a bit with the economy downturn, but there's still jobs out there. I don't think the old boys network is that big of a problem in Salt Lake, but i've heard different when you start to head a little bit south.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

pm assman. I'm sure he can find some "work" for your wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    She and I are both your run-of-the-mill, not-particularly-observant New England Irish Catholic. I know that it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of religion for jobs in public schools, but I'm also sure that there must be something an old boys network in at least some of these towns. If she can't find the right job in a classroom, we've heard that you can make as much or more teaching skiing at one of the tonier resorts as you could at most of the public schools, so we're going to see how it plays out.

That's part of the reason I'm reaching out to see if anyone on here has a hookup to a place like Weilenmann in Park City or maybe St. Mark's in SLC or St. Joe's in Ogden.
    Dude...PM Sfotex. His wife is a teacher here in Sandy and they are not of the "local faith"......good luck and nice to see yet another East coast transplant making one of the best moves you'll ever make.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    You know what your right. I was totally out of line...

Thanks for the sensitivity training!

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Here let me help you...