Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Oddly enough, the times I do adjust them it's almost always to shorten them for the up, then back to normal for the down. Keeps my hands lower than my shoulders when climbing and I can push down on the tops. Am I the only one? Y'all should try it..
    You're not the only one - I shorten them on the up if going straight up. If it's a bit of a side hill, I'll only shorten one and lengthen the other so that my hands are about even.

But realistically, I don't adjust the poles as often as I thought that I would when I got them. Choking down below the grips is so much simpler. It's also really simple to make a grip on regular poles using hockey tape. Just ask anybody who plays hockey and they should be able to fashion one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Do I actually NEED them for a successful bc excursion? Probably not.

Is it nice having an adjustable length for going up vs. down? Yes.
    exactly this
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by TeleStan View Post
    Choking down below the grips is so much simpler. It's also really simple to make a grip on regular poles using hockey tape. Just ask anybody who plays hockey and they should be able to fashion one for you.
    That's a rad poor man's idea. Maybe I'll try it. I have a neighbor that is a hockey head...
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

pretty much use whatever cheap old POS poles i can find lying around often not even matching (same length tho) on the rare occasion i wish i could extend my poles I usually get over it in about 30seconds.

. . . shorten them for the up, then back to normal for the down. Keeps my hands lower than my shoulders when climbing and I can push down on the tops. Am I the only one?
    I often do that. Somebody on TGR, maybe Lee, did some heart rate monitor tests and concluded that short poles for skinning were more efficient.

I have two pairs of adjustable poles, but actuallly I just use ordinary ones.

Yes, but also use the hockey tape method, great for side hilling. also allows a whippet to be used a little more like a tradition ice axe by having a good grip down by the flicklock.

If I recall Straightchuter has a how to vid on his sight...look here...http://straightchuter.com/

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Nah, I always use cheepo fixed length....BUT I have put a BD basket and handle on them. I don't see the point in adjusting for traverses on the up as it would just be a fuck about to switch hands at every switch back. Also fixed length is undoubtedly stronger for falling on/plunging when crampon-ing up.

I can see the attraction skating over lakes though, although I have never had to skate over any lakes/flats of size.

One thing I find RETARDED is when people say 'Oh ya, I collapse them for climbing, so they fit on my pack'. Does a 120cm pole on your back really annoy you more than the 190cm pow skis that are also on your back?

Own, yes.

Change during tour. No, they are just poles.

However the adjustable length very infrequently comes in handy for pitching tarps/shelters, splinting injuries and assembling that cool rescue sled from Brookes Range (where long poles work best). Also two-piece poles are good if you want to attach some types of snow saws, though depends on pole and saw as to how it works out. Also marginally helpful for travel as you can cram more stuff in your ski bag of you have multiple smaller pole lengths. Also if you snap part of the pole you don't have to buy a whole new pole. ummm...
    Life is not lift served.

Yes, then make them real short for the car ride home.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Keeps my hands lower than my shoulders when climbing and I can push down on the tops. Am I the only one? Y'all should try it..
    I find that I prefer this style when skinning. Helps a ton on those awkward steep sections when you need to just muscle yourself past it.

And then the poles go as short as possible so they'll fit on my pack.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

My brother and I use them almost everyday at the resort(depending on whats open). We do alot of traversing/sidestepping and find that lengthening the downhill pole really makes a huge difference. Then when making our way back out, lengthen both for flats and skating. Last year I went most of the year without because I broke my last set and my bro absolutely would blow me away, especially on skateouts. Saves time and energy. Some people think its a pain in the ass, but the truth is, it takes about .5 seconds per pole and can be done on the go.

This kicks like a mule with his balls wrapped in duct tape!

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    One thing I find RETARDED is when people say 'Oh ya, I collapse them for climbing, so they fit on my pack'. Does a 120cm pole on your back really annoy you more than the 190cm pow skis that are also on your back?
    That's why adjustable ski poles are usually 2-piece and most trekking poles are 3-piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    I often do that. Somebody on TGR, maybe Lee, did some heart rate monitor tests and concluded that short poles for skinning were more efficient.
    depends on conditions for me at least.

breaking trail in deep untracked snow->135cm
    corn/hardpack skinning->125cm

skiing->120cm

long rolling classic XC traverse back out->140mm
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Yes.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Hugh Conway Guest
    tgr = nuevo ttips

Oddly enough, the times I do adjust them it's almost always to shorten them for the up, then back to normal for the down. Keeps my hands lower than my shoulders when climbing and I can push down on the tops. Am I the only one? Y'all should try it..
    Longer ( a lot longer) for gentle climbs on firmer snow where you are using the poles to propel yourself like a cross country skier. Look how long the poles are that skate skiers use. Shorter for steep climbs as in kicking steps straight up. Another use for a shortened pole--sideslipping a steep icy spot where you can hold a pole horizontally across your body with the tip digging in. I believe the French call that "piolet en ramasse" which sounds kind of perverted, doesn't it.

No......

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    ...split boarders like the 3 piece poles to fit IN the pack

BD flicklocks have been bomber IME and they sell spare parts
    All of this^.

Had to buy a pair of poles in a pinch for a trip and got stuck with the push-button style of adjustment (instead of the preferred fliklock mechanism), and these did not work for me at all. Fliklock is the ONLY way to go for those that adjust their poles a lot.

In the backcountry, I adjust them almost every time I am out. The BD poles take about 2 secs to actually change and it can make a difference when climbing or on long skates. But do you really need it....I guess not. It's not like I'm ever adjusting my pole length for that 50m trek back to the lift line, but if the option is there in the BC, why not

Yup, when you're skating across a frozen lake or double poling down a low angle logging road exit, it helps to get in the Nordy state of mind, long poles. I sometimes wish my touring poles were 155mm on low angle road exits.

Collapse them to put in my pack when sledding or sometime when bootpacking otherwise I dont bother messing with them. I left the god damn things collapsed over the summer and it took me an hour and a half to get them unstuck today. Supposed to get 20 cms overnight... Stupid poles...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    That's awesome! I'm assuming your HR was lower? Were there any other observations you made?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

On ski tours I extend my poles to around 125cm (from 115cm), makes hiking so much easier since I actively use my arms on the way up, helps a lot! I also extend poles for pushing over flat sections. Obviously the grippy part of the pole is very useful too.