Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    The GF and I were invited sort of at the last minute to join some folks from our German Club for dinner at their house out in the suburbs. In my mind, it's sort of an honor because they're the leaders of this club where the GF and I both are pretty active members. We couldn't really decline the offer, but my vision of an uncomplicated Thanksgiving isn't going to happen.

It'll be interesting to see how German-born folks celebrate Thanksgiving. They don't want us to bring anything, but I think at least a couple bottles of wine and a dessert or two would be alright. The folks are older than my parents, but from what I've seen down at the German club they like to eat and drink. I feel like I've been summoned to a meeting of the five families, like in a gangster movie.

Thanksgivings when I've been in my hometown have always been at home with my own family, but my parents are trying to spend more time at their place in AZ and I can't swing that sort of trip due to my work schedule and general level of (relative) poverty. There was one year while I was living in Boston and couldn't make it home that was memorable. A friend and I got some lobsters, held races with them before they were boiled and finished the night off with a trip to the local pub.

It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Leg of lamb coated in dijon rosemary and garlic.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Better with hot cider and mulling spices: spiced rum or bourbon?
    Honestly? Cognac if you have any. Otherwise the sweeter of the two, depending on which rum or bourbon you're putting in. One of my favorite uses for Jim Beam.

Quote Originally Posted by acostiga View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how German-born folks celebrate Thanksgiving. They don't want us to bring anything, but I think at least a couple bottles of wine and a dessert or two would be alright. The folks are older than my parents, but from what I've seen down at the German club they like to eat and drink.
    Bring an apple pie and a couple bottles of Spaetlese or Auslese Rieslings from the Fatherland. Eiswein, if you can swing it, goes GREAT with fruit pies.

Due to personal and financial reasons doing the solo thanksgiving this year. I wasn;t going to do anything special, but last night I got out of work and said fuck it and hit the store for a few things. Planning to feast on the following homemade items: (and not cook again until next week):

-Cheesy crab bites to snack on
    -Roast chicken
    -Sweet potatoes
    -Roasted brussel sprouts
    -Roasted carrots
    -Stuffing (possibly with sausage)
    -Pumpkin pie (cooked this last night)

Plus I have some excellent bread and 2 bottles of wine. Pats game is on tonight, I should be set.

Wont have to cook again until next week too...
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

Homemade vanilla bean ice cream and homemade pumpkin ice cream.

Poutine!

Why, turkey bacon of course.

You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Why, turkey bacon of course.

Self basting bacony godness....
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

Yup!

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Dim Sum, then Duck and Lobster, big ole prawns, live crab, too much tea, and big buds.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    I'm bringing wine. That's it!
    Fuck yeah!

No cooking for me today, with the exception of a few mini galettes I made to nosh on once I get sick of leftovers.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Turkey with a jerk spice and brown sugar rub, stuffed with apples and chiles. Pan of shredded apples, beer and pan dripping underneath. Has been on cherry and apple wood smoke for about 8 hours, basting every 30 mins with smoking liquids. Finished in the BBQ.

Also root veggies - carrots, onions, parsnips, celery root and rutabaga - in foil on BBQ.

Did one traditional turkey in the oven and one on the grill - brined w/ chipotle pepper & adobo puree, Butt Rub dry rub and smoked over hickory. Meat had a nice smoke flavor and a little heat at the end.

Sides were whipped sweet potatoes with cream, maple syrup and Markers Mark; green beans w/ big ole chunk of ham, carmelized (not burned!) corn, carrots glazed with ginger ale and maple syrup, and a cranberry sauce.

All gluten-free, yo!!

My twin daughters (12) really stepped it up in the kitchen this year - asking what they could do to help, getting it done with minimal directions and then asking for more to do. They made me very proud.

We're trying something new this year: saag aloo.

Since I spent Canadian Thanksgiving in America (I did have a hot turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy), I decided to head back up to Canadia for the real thanksgiving. I couldn't remember if they allowed turkey to be brought across the border (turns out it's okay), I had to go on a last minute quest for a fresh turkey. Managed to find a turkey farm, so with a little help from google and grandma I'm attempting to cook my first turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Party at my house. Standard bird (brined of course), rib roast, potatoes X2, stuffing X2, sprouts, pies, apps. etc. I'm gonna weight in and weight out -- I'm going for plus 5 lbs. I hope I can see straight to witness the Jets go down.
    I don't know what the net gain is, but two heaping plates and four slices of pie has to come close to five pounds. 'Merica.

My first grilled turkey was amazing. Brined it for 2 days. Injected with creole butter. Grilled it on the imitation egg by Char Grill. 2:45 at 350 for a 16 lb bird. Let it sit for an hour. Even learned the right way to carve it up. Loving this grill.

Sprite- I have been making a Pollo con arroz recipe lately. It has been well received at a few parties, and it is probably the easiest thing I have ever made. PM me if you are interested. Even your sister could make it.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    My first grilled turkey was amazing. Brined it for 2 days. Injected with creole butter. Grilled it on the imitation egg by Char Grill. 2:45 at 350 for a 16 lb bird. Let it sit for an hour. Even learned the right way to carve it up. Loving this grill.

Sprite- I have been making a Pollo con arroz recipe lately. It has been well received at a few parties, and it is probably the easiest thing I have ever made. PM me if you are interested. Even your sister could make it.
    Warthog, I was actually pleasantly surprised to see a "regular" thanksgiving dinner! I guess she's saving the Cuban fare for Christmas eve which is okay with me. I'm actually doing xmas at home and will likely serve roast pork/rice and beans/etc. Would rather do the leg of lamb thing, but my mom would be heartbroken that I'm not doing "the tradition." Maybe I'll do both!

Check your PMs, I am intrigued by an easy recipe to bring to parties always!
    Thanks...
    Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

cooking my own bird on the smoker tomorrow - brine ==> water, apple cider, salt, honey, cranberries, rosemary & sage - I'll stuff with onions, apples and cranberries before it goes in the smoker - local oak and apple wood of course - deer, bears and neighbors got most of the feral apples but I might still be able to find a few to stuff

fixin' to get me a Big Green Egg soon
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    recipe pls
    Here ya go Larry:

Chocolate Bourbon Bacon Pecan Pie

3 Eggs
    6 Strips Bacon
    1/3 Cup Light Corn Syrup
    1/3 Cup Dark Corn Syrup
    4 Tbl. Melted Butter
    2 Tbl Bacon Grease
    1/3 Cup Sugar
    1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
    5 Tbl. Jack Daniels (technically Jack is Kentucky Whiskey - not bourbon)
    3/4 Cup Ground Pecans (food processor w/metal blade works best)
    3/4 Cup Pecans
    3/4 Cup Chocolate Chips (Ghiradelli double chocolate work best because they float...Nestle chips sink)
    1 Pie Crust

Fry bacon until crisp, pat dry & put in freezer (crumbles better). Save 2 Tbl bacon grease.
    Preheat oven to 350. Combine butter, bacon grease, eggs, syrup, sugar, booze. Add ground and whole pecans. Add hand crumbled bacon. (Can also ground with pecans if desired). Poke a few holes in crust with a fork. Line crust with parchment paper weigh down with dried beans. Bake 8-10 min. Remove beans and paper and bake 5 more minutes. Put 1/3 of the batter in crust, add chocolate chips, add batter to fill. Bake 1 hour. I like to cover the pie with aluminum foil for the last 30 minutes to avoid the top of the crust from getting too brown. Maybe poke small hole in center of foil to vent. Enjoy!
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Here ya go Larry:

Chocolate Bourbon Bacon Pecan Pie

3 Eggs
    6 Strips Bacon
    1/3 Cup Light Corn Syrup
    1/3 Cup Dark Corn Syrup
    4 Tbl. Melted Butter
    2 Tbl Bacon Grease
    1/3 Cup Sugar
    1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
    5 Tbl. Jack Daniels (technically Jack is Kentucky Whiskey - not bourbon)
    3/4 Cup Ground Pecans (food processor w/metal blade works best)
    3/4 Cup Pecans
    3/4 Cup Chocolate Chips (Ghiradelli double chocolate work best because they float...Nestle chips sink)
    1 Pie Crust

Fry bacon until crisp, pat dry & put in freezer (crumbles better). Save 2 Tbl bacon grease.
    Preheat oven to 350. Combine butter, bacon grease, eggs, syrup, sugar, booze. Add ground and whole pecans. Add hand crumbled bacon. (Can also ground with pecans if desired). Poke a few holes in crust with a fork. Line crust with parchment paper weigh down with dried beans. Bake 8-10 min. Remove beans and paper and bake 5 more minutes. Put 1/3 of the batter in crust, add chocolate chips, add batter to fill. Bake 1 hour. I like to cover the pie with aluminum foil for the last 30 minutes to avoid the top of the crust from getting too brown. Maybe poke small hole in center of foil to vent. Enjoy!
    TY very much- will try @ xmas if not before!
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

anyone bring up the election?

Haha. Yes, they did. And hilarity ensued...