Advice on which beacon to purchase

So I am trying to figure out which beacon I should purchase from this year. I am still very new to the backcountry stuff, and last year I was using a BCA tracker 1. I know there are many options out there. My roommate and riding partner is a big fan of the Mammut Pulse Barryvox. But I know other people who really like the ortovox beacons as well. Anyway, a little input and help would be awesome!

Just buy one and get practicing. Too many people spend more time researching than they do using the one they buy. "Hey, at least you bought the bestest one!"
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow

The Pulse is one of the best out there. If the guy you ride with has one it may be to your advantage to buy one also so you can use the "pulse" feature that detects movement.

Others to consider would be the Ortovox S1, plus I hear Ortovox is coming out with a new one...?

That being said I agree with MontanaMike, pull the trigger and practice. Don't stew about it for weeks when you could be using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

I would look at the basic digitals either the Barryvox element or the ortovox 3+

Check out the deal for the ortovox 3 plus on amazon. I think it was around $238. Very nice beacon.

Jonathans reviews on wild snow are extremely thorough: http://www.wildsnow.com/category/gue...athan-shefftz/

Sent from my Tandy 1000

The one that turns on, gets a signal (when one exists) and doesn't have phantom signals when no signal is present. everything else adds complexity that will be a distraction/potential hazard to a novice user.
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by montanamike View Post
    Just buy one and get practicing. Too many people spend more time researching than they do using the one they buy. "Hey, at least you bought the bestest one!"
    Don't you own few stake houses?
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by efsandstrom View Post
    I am still very new to the backcountry stuff . . .
    Unless you've got a tech geek personality, I'd suggest one of the three antenna units without the frills - Mammut Element, Pieps DSP Tour, new Ortovox Zoom. As others suggest, its usefulness will be determined mostly by how well you learn to use it, not by how many features it has.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirotica View Post
    Don't you own few stake houses?
    Not that I know of! I do own a BCA Tracker2 though. It's been a great beacon. It's simple and fast and I would recommend it to others.
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow

Mammut Element is easy to use. BCA tracker 2 is a good product you can find on the cheap.

For the money its prob gonna be the tracker 2. Just make sure it's got the software recall upgrade if you buy it used.

Both are simple and straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by roark View Post
    Jonathans reviews on wild snow are extremely thorough: http://www.wildsnow.com/category/gue...athan-shefftz/

Sent from my Tandy 1000
    Thanks, but those are no longer being maintained since I got fired there.
    However, I am now back to collaborating with BeaconReviews.com so lots of updates there this season, although we still have not been able to test any of the three new upcoming beacons.

Sent from my ADR6300 using TGR Forums
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    ... since I got fired there.
    Subscribing to this thread because I'm interested by this comment.

OP, I just bought a couple of Ortovox 3+ despite people like Jonathan's concerns (found pretty quickly via google). The 3+ will be for kids who will be learning, so much the same boat as you. I like their simplicity and I'm not as concerned about the potential glitches since the horrible scenario of unsupervised kids being primary searchers should never come true (touch wood). I'm not sure about the current status of the glitch issue so it might pay to investigate before committing to the 3+.

I've also got a couple of Pieps DSP that I really like but they're much more pricey than the Ortos.

I'm considering a Vector once they become non-vapourware, as an upgrade for me from the DSP.

If you go the 3+ route, see my comment in the thread titled "20 percent off at Bent Gate" in gear swap. If you jump through a bunch of hoops you can get it for $206

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    [...]plus I hear Ortovox is coming out with a new one...?
    Zoom -- will replace the Patroller Digital in their line, but an entirely new design.
    Earlier this fall we had been told December, although just noticed that December is coming up pretty soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedbrew4u View Post
    For the money its prob gonna be the tracker 2. Just make sure it's got the software recall upgrade if you buy it used.
    That recall was kind of a mistake.
    Yes, the firmware was upgraded, along with a stiffer switch:
    http://beaconreviews.com/transceiver...g_Tracker2.asp
    ... but the earlier reports of problems were all from users running non-alkaline batteries, or dead batteries, etc., and some complaints turned out to be about older Tracker DTS units.
    So I really wouldn't worry about the firmware version if buying used.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    OP, I just bought a couple of Ortovox 3+ despite people like Jonathan's concerns (found pretty quickly via google). The 3+ will be for kids who will be learning, so much the same boat as you. I like their simplicity and I'm not as concerned about the potential glitches since the horrible scenario of unsupervised kids being primary searchers should never come true (touch wood). I'm not sure about the current status of the glitch issue so it might pay to investigate before committing to the 3+.
    I think the 3+ is a fine choice overall. Unfortunately the blog & comment format ended up overemphasizing that one concern of mine, and Ortovox's reaction only brought even more attention to it. Had I been writing an entire review from scratch (instead of the initial preproduction review and then a follow-up review), and without a comment section, I think that concern would have received far less attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I'm not sure about the current status of the glitch issue so it might pay to investigate before committing to the 3+.I'm considering a Vector once they become non-vapourware, as an upgrade for me from the DSP.
    Delayed until the 2012-13 season:
    http://beaconreviews.com/transceiver...p#Pieps_Vector
    Good news is that a working model is available in SLC, the BeaconReviews.com HQ, so we're hoping to run some preliminary tests this season.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by montanamike View Post
    Not that I know of! I do own a BCA Tracker2 though. It's been a great beacon. It's simple and fast and I would recommend it to others.
    Montana mike's steak house is all over Kansas.

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it! I will be pulling the trigger here pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post

That recall was kind of a mistake.
    Yes, the firmware was upgraded, along with a stiffer switch:
    http://beaconreviews.com/transceiver...g_Tracker2.asp
    ... but the earlier reports of problems were all from users running non-alkaline batteries, or dead batteries, etc., and some complaints turned out to be about older Tracker DTS units.
    So I really wouldn't worry about the firmware version if buying used.

And if anyone is concerned, BCA upgraded mine with a 4 day turnaround. All I had to pay was shipping to them, stellar CS for sure.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Pieps dsp I what I have, and I may be biased. But it has upgradeable firmware, great features for checking your deadbeat friend's old beacons, awesome cs, and you can find older models for cheap: got mine for 140$

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    And if anyone is concerned, BCA upgraded mine with a 4 day turnaround. All I had to pay was shipping to them, stellar CS for sure.
    I've had some amazing service from BCA too. I'm waiting to see if the Tracker 3 drops before January, otherwise my new beacon will most likely be an Element.

I had the ortovox x1 and replaced it with the patroller (which is the same thing as far as I can tell) really like it.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

The simple answer = any of the beacons that gets a 5 star review on www.beaconreviews.com

The more complex answer = get a modern digital beacon with 3 antennas as it really does make a difference to the search times. even something like the old BCA Tracker 1 is arguably obsolete these days. lots of people get hung up on mutliple burial features, though for most skiers that should probably be a secondry consisertation. most important thing it to select a simple and easy to use beacon?

EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) has 20% off some beacons today.