Tahoe Forest Hospital Winter Sports Injury Symposium

Monday, Dec 3rd. Space is limited. Cost is $25 per person and includes dinner, vendor expo, raffle prices, CEs and no host bar.

http://www.tfhd.com/WSIS2012

from the Sierra Sun

TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — While the ski resorts are preparing for a busy season, Tahoe Forest Hospital is preparing first responders with the latest information on strategies to manage winter injuries and ways to survive potentially life-threatening disasters. On Monday, Dec. 3 Tahoe Forest Health System will bring together experts to discuss the latest in treatment modalities and approaches to care for winter injuries at the Annual Winter Sports Injury Symposium to be held at the Resort at Squaw Creek. Space is limited. Cost is $25 per person and includes dinner, vendor expo, raffle prices, CEs and no host bar. Register by Nov. 25 at www.tfhd.com/WSIS2012.

Tahoe Forest Health System's featured speaker for this year's symposium Anna Conrad-Allen. Conrad-Allen will deliver a passionate account of her will to survive and steps taken to assure her survival while being buried in the 1982 Alpine Meadows Ski Area avalanche that killed several people.

This year marks 30 years since that horrific event. For five days Conrad-Allen was buried in a tomb of snow fighting for her life. She accounts, “I will never forget the day the doctor told me that he was going to amputate my lower right leg. Six weeks earlier on March 31, 1982, I, Anna Conrad-Allen, was buried in a horrific avalanche at Alpine Meadows Ski Area near Lake Tahoe. For five days I was entombed in snow and the debris of the building that was home to most of the employee lockers,” from www.disabledsportseasternsierra.org.

The Symposium begins at 3 p.m. with registration, exhibits and an opportunity to meet the speakers. Presentations begin at 4 p.m. with topics and speakers to include:

• 4 p.m. — Cold Water Boot Camp: Cold Water Effects on the Body presented by Jerry Gilmore, Dee Dee Kincaid, Jack Leth, United States Coast Guard Auxiliary and John Swanson, MD, Tahoe Forest Hospital Emergency Department.

• 4:55 p.m. — A Field Approach to Hypothermia, Howard Donner, MD.

• 5:40 p.m. — A Field Approach to Frostbite, Howard Donner, MD.

• 6:55 p.m. — Panel Experts & Case Studies: Discussion-Based Presentation

• 8 p.m. — Surviving the Wall of White, Anna Conrad-Allen.

Howard Donner is a well-known expert in Wilderness Medicine. Dr. Donner served as an expedition physician on the 1988 Kangchenjunga Expedition, the 1997 NOVA Everest Expedition, and as a medical officer on the Denali Medical Research Project. As co-author of “Field Guide to Wilderness Medicine,” Dr. Donner is a frequent national lecturer and has provided medical support as a volunteer for the National Park Service. In addition to his medical expertise, Dr. Donner works as a commercial pilot and independent filmmaker. (http://cmedownload.com/faculty/howard-donner-md)

A complete agenda and registration information can be viewed at www.tfhd.com. For more information call 530-582-3543.

CE Credits: Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, CEP #1198, for 4.5 contact hours. This course has been approved for 4.5 hours of continuing education by and approved California EMS CE provider and was instructor based. California EMS CE Provider #65-0016.

About Tahoe Forest Health System

Tahoe Forest Hospital (TFHD) is a district hospital system comprised of two hospitals in California and Nevada (Incline Village Community Hospital.) Its is a not-for-profit rural health care facility located in Truckee and Incline Village, Nev., and has been designated one of the top 100 Critical Care Access Hospitals in the United States. TFHD is committed to excellence in patient care. The Hospital is fully accredited by the Healthcare Accreditation Facilities Program and licensed by the State of California Department of Health Services.

For more information visit www.tfhd.com.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Sounds really interesting. I signed up. Mike, if you're coming up for that, there will be room for you at my condo.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

signed up

thinking I'll roll thataway Sunday and go for a tour in the stormage
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

This is very cool. I’ll be there. Thanks for posting this.
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!