vintage motorcycle restoration

I have no idea which forum this belongs in. Tech talk? Padded room? Anyway...

My son has got into motorcycles. Crotch rockets, a 600cc kawasaki ninja, specifically. He's unfortunately following the same path I took at his age (I had a yamaha rd400), so I can't really object. But I am old and wise enough now to realize how dangerous these things are.

I am thinking of trying to get him/us into restoring and riding vintage bikes as a safer and maybe even more satisfying option (building up a couple of old bikes over a year or three and then riding them.) I've got some background in motorcycle mechanics but not in vintage bikes per se. Thinking about Norton's, Triumphs, Indians, old Ducati's, others? Wondering if there is any TGR wisdom about this choice re: relative ease of working on the bikes, finding parts, ultimate rideability and reliability, etc. Thanks!

If you go BSA or Norton you WILL have a bitch of a time with electrical. If you don't know the ins and outs of wiring for a bike you certainly will when you are done, if you are able to fix it.

My only restoration was of older dirt bikes so I can't be of much help. Really want to build a cafe racer as soon as I get a garage.

Good luck! Wrenching is fun. I learned everything from my pops who is mechanic. Good times were had. Excellent father/son activity!
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

I always wanted to ride on a track to learn some skills in a safer environment without cars, guardrails, sand, trees etc, when I had my sportbike. If he has that Ninja now, he'll be wanting to wring it out, and a track is way better than on the street.

I have been thinking of getting an old Honda CB bike from the seventies and redoing it. Not as classic as the bikes you are interested in, but parts are easier to find, and they are more comfortable for my tall build.

Not sure of your safer assumption. The older bikes handling and brakes kinda suck.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

you should check out advrider.com Much info on lots of different bikes.
    A friend back home has been playing with old (1970s) R series BMWs. Seems to be able to get parts & advice/info pretty easily.

and for straight up bike p0rn
    http://www.bikeexif.com/
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

^^Damn you. Now I want to go build a custom cafe seat for my '82 KZ750.

I'm partial to the '70 and '80s Japanese bikes. Cheap to buy and pretty cheap to fix.

Wish I had the time and money to get into restoring old classic Triumphs and Indians. Someday.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I have given up to the realities of living in a northern climate and not owning a garage... the p0rn can be enjoyed as art and not as inspiration/obsession.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Not sure of your safer assumption. The older bikes handling and brakes kinda suck.
    I am not talking about the machine. More the mindset of the rider. A rider on an older bike probably has a less aggressive mindset than someone on the newest 600cc race machine. And if the kid has a Ninja, learning to ride it on a track is safer than on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I am not talking about the machine. More the mindset of the rider. A rider on an older bike probably has a less aggressive mindset than someone on the newest 600cc race machine. And if the kid has a Ninja, learning to ride it on a track is safer than on the street.
    I wasn't questioning your post, makes good sense. My clumsy point was that if he enjoys some speed and performance putting him on an old trumpet might actually increase the chances of a wreck. The project would be fun though!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Can you get the lad interested in a 20-25 year-old FZR400? Might be a little saner than the 600s, plus they have the oh-so-lovely dual headlamps of the bigger bikes.

Failing that, how about going retro modern and teaming up to fix a late model, ill cared for (and thus cheap) Thruxton or Scrambler? Parts are plentiful, disc brakes are standard, and as Prince and Sheena would say, they got the look.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    I wasn't questioning your post, makes good sense. My clumsy point was that if he enjoys some speed and performance putting him on an old trumpet might actually increase the chances of a wreck. The project would be fun though!
    As an adreniline junks who survived my Sport bike phase, I would agree.

I owned and Totaled
    1980 900F
    1982 GS 1100 E
    1983 GS 1100 E

Did not total but sold
    GSXR 1100 It was actualy a 1240 when I sold it

Then later bought an Old
    1978 GS750
    I thrashed that thing, Draged the frame throtle wide open everywhere

Left it in a ditch outside Loveland CO (Running from the cops)

The Track suggestion is very solid on many levels
    Last edited by MTT; 11-17-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Great info and advice, thanks everyone.
    And, indeed, the safety assumption on my part had to do with the riding style that certain bikes tend to encourage. My RD400 just wasn't made to ride slow. The whole point of it was to go fast, too fast, license loosing (in my case) fast, and I think the ninja is the same. Whereas something like an old commando or triumph or even a harley sportster, they look like they'd be fun to just cruise and enjoy the views and the wind in your... er... helmet.

A better option would be to take an 80's japanese 550 or 600 standard (dirt cheap) and turn it into a cafe racer. Better handling, better brakes, cheaper parts, looks just as cool.

I have a 70 triumph and love it. Super easy to work on and supposedly more reliable and definitely cheaper than similar aged harley's. They look great if you want to chop or bob it.
    Check out jockeyjournal.com for some great info on old bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    A better option would be to take an 80's japanese 550 or 600 standard (dirt cheap) and turn it into a cafe racer. Better handling, better brakes, cheaper parts, looks just as cool.
    Good advice. I've restored/rebuilt a few. Start with the Japs and graduate to the Continentals.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Just do some poking around to make sure parts are still available. I've got an older ('74) yamaha dt 175 and it's been a pain in the ass tracking down parts that are no longer available though a dealer, some of the NOS ebay prices are ridiculous and it takes a bit of patience for what you're looking for to show up.

How about a late 1970s Yamaha XS650? They can be picked up pretty cheap and you can get just about every spare part you'd ever want for them from Mike's XS and a few other websites. The engine is close to indestructible and you can turn them into pretty cool looking cafe-racers if it's your thing.

I've been riding and maintaining a 1974 Honda cb750 for about 10 years now. It's frustrating at times, but well worth the satisfaction of keeping it on the road. Parts are not too tough to find, but it gets harder every year.

It's plenty fast enough to have fun, but not scary fast. Like someone mentioned earlier, the brakes are mediocre. It's great for learning, and forces you to pick your line and entry speed. I feel like newer bikes are easy to be sloppy and lazy.

Whatever you end up doing, have fun!

The first bike I ever worked on, rode and, subsequently, fell in love with was my uncles 1969 CB350.

I was 18 and didnt know jack about bikes and with his guidance we basically cleaned, replaced and redid everything top to bottom (including wiring). It was a fun and relatively headache-free bike to work on and laid down the foundations for me.

I cant say if a Japanese or continental bike is easier to start off with, but that Honda was manageable and fun to boot. Also I havent maintain a bike since (but Ive been eyeing a 76' BMW R80 on CL) so take that for what its worth.

Oh, and ps, you sound like a rad dad.

Edit to add: As other have mentioned, if you get into it on a project bike, Ive seen plenty beautiful examples of CBs (and other Jap bikes) turned Cafe Racers which just look and ride so fucking nice it hurts.

Just because an older bike is slower does not make it safer.

Invest in good gear and make sure it's worn all the time. Helmet, boots, gloves, jacket, and pants. That means all the time. Every time you ride a bike anywhere.

After that track time. Likely you will get addicted to the track and quit street riding which is usually more dangerous. I haven't quit street riding just yet but put more miles in on the track than street these days.

Sit him down and say "Son, anybody can restore a 70-80's Jap bike, but we go big in this family...or we go home," then dim the lights, cue Crazy Train from Ozzy, and pull the cover off a rusty Vincent Black Shadow.

Keeping on the restoration of a vintage machine theme:

In Gear Swap a Guy from Vermont posted about selling a '71 BMW r75/5 in a box for short money a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...1971-BMW-R75-5
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Older airhead beemers are great restoration candidates. Parts are still easy to find. Good luck getting him off the ninja though. Maybe consider a GS for off road adventures and touring. I moved away from the sport bikes to start camping and touring with my GF back in the day.
    "Don't tease me about my hobbies, I don't tease you about being an asshole"

Go w/the RD400; plentiful used parts, cheap & two stroke motor is easy to work on. They are plenty fast if you kid wants to mod it up (plenty of new aftermarket parts available). That was my first resto project; great all around bikes.