Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Good wax on a budget?

I'm looking to buy some ski wax that will last me at least the whole season, but I'm a college student so I'm looking for something fairly cheap, and I'm only looking to buy 1 type of wax. I live in Boulder, CO and will be skiing mostly at A-Basin/Keystone/Breck to give you an idea of the kind of snow I need it for. I've used Dominator Zoom in the past while skiing in Tahoe and really liked it, but I don't know if I can get something like that for cheaper.

Any suggestions? (Also if you know where I can get it that would be helpful too).

www.slidewright.com

buy from a Maggot
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I have had good luck with the large block of one ball jay blue wax. Not bad for a cheaper wax. But slidewright does have good deals in general
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

The Green ZOOM/Dom stuff is a good deal, and I use it al the time. One tip - if you keep an eye open for sales on snowboard wax, you may scores. I used One Ball Jay on my skis for years - snowboard wax is basically the same stuff, but about half the price, and bigger bars.

Another thing - I usually buy at the end of the season when stuff is being blown out.

And this: http://www.slidewright.com/
    Last edited by axebiker; 11-14-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Gravity. It's the law.

You can get 900 grams of SWIX all temp for under $50 on ebay. It isn't the best wax to have but for $50 you aren't going to run out anytime soon.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

http://www.glideonwax.com/?page=Bulk Wax

Made in Colorado. Cheap, good.

boulder ski deals has big blocks of swix all temp warm and all temp cold for $10

Dominator ReNew Zoom Base Prep (purple)- or Graphite too are available in a 400 oz packages
    http://www.dominatorwax.com/renewzoom.html Slidewright and some others probably have it in the big package.

SVST has a big bar of their universal white and cold blue wax that I have used occasionally.
    http://www.svst.com/Categories3.aspx...b-3d827b72b255

Also Hertel has a Super Hot Sauce in a brick that lasts forever.
    http://www.hertelskiwax.com/Hertel-S...-Wax-s/123.htm

Ever in the Arvada area? I have some one ball jay I can hook you up with free.

Racewax.com has deals on some nice wax every now and then. I've grabbed some 90 and 120 g bars from them before at a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    You can get 900 grams of SWIX all temp for under $50 on ebay. It isn't the best wax to have but for $50 you aren't going to run out anytime soon.
    2nd'd. I use this and it works fine.

Or if that's too rich, you can ask for shop scrapings.

Thanks guys.

As stated in the past CHEAP doesn't typically imply GOOD VALUE, nor best use of your time and efforts. Part of the typical misconception is that you need tons of wax and need to wax all the time. It depends on how abrasive the snow is and the durability of the wax, along with base preparation steps. Globbed on cheaper, softer waxes require more time, material and waste and expense than a higher grade, efficiently applied performance wax. If you think you need a kilo of wax for a season, you are likely wasting a bunch of time and money.

The Glide-On Cold (Purple) (made near here) works very well as a 'universal' with decent durability in Colorado and elsewhere, but like many of the other waxes mentioned, will last half as long and has a narrower optimal glide range than a premium wax like Briko-Maplus Race base Medium. 250 gr for <$30 should last you through the season and beyond while providing you a very broad performance range. I often get 6 outings in softer snows before needing to re-wax.

Edit: fixed link http://www.slidewright.com/briko-map...70.html?cat=14
    Last edited by Alpinord; 11-16-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Briko-Maplus Race base Medium. 250 gr for <$30 should last you through the season and beyond while providing you a very broad performance range. I often get 6 outings in softer snows before needing to re-wax.
    Terry, is that right link?

I bought a brick of this from Slidewright per Alpinord's recommendation. Holy shit, it is the toughest wax I've ever used. I wax about half as often with it. It's now my go-to universal wax. Super durable. It also seems to pick up less spring debris than other waxes.
    Last edited by Big Steve; 11-15-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Terry, is that right link?

I bought a brick of this from Slidewright per Alpinord's recommendation. Holy shit, it is the toughest wax I've ever used. I wax about half as often with it. It's now my go-to universal wax. Super durable. It also seems to pick up less spring debris than other waxes.
    Good catch. Thanks. I changed it above. I thought I was seeing less debris, but wasn't entirely sure. I use it after coarse restructuring for spring conditions and over lay a LF medium or hot for a bump in glide. When you get corral reef and frozen corn, the extra protection is nice to have, especially after the softer wax gets ripped off.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Another vote for Alpinord.

Score another for Alpinord.
    That Don't Make No Sense

I've been buying Toko bulk or hydrocarbon or whatever wax. works fine.
    It's about base structure and how good the wax job is, and maybe some other stuff.

When you're worried about a 10th of a second being the difference between being on the podium or not, then maybe you can worry about the expensive shit.

Thread hijack: Still not sure why my Moment Rubies are dying on traverses. I'm leaning toward lack of a patterned structure, but idk. Flat filing couldn't possibly leave that much friction, right? Lack of metal in the ski? Amount of base on the snow when going flat? Just keep waxing every week like a bikini model?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I like Purl wax. I buy a larger brick of all temp and a few pucks of other temps for mixing. I don't like the super granola stuff they sell at REI, just the micro-crystalline you can get at their own website. Decently cheap and they even sent me a hat with my last order.

In CO it'll be cold enough for much of the winter that your wax should last a week or possibly even two. It's spring skiing in warm snow and corn that takes it all right off in less than a single run at the extreme end.

So depending on when you'll be doing most of your skiing, you might not need that much.

+1 for the green dominator zoom as a solid universal, I don't use anything else anymore (I don't race anymore either though).

Another +1 for dominator zoom. I've got one of the bulk bars and its lasted a few seasons. I wax weekly but but only hot wax every few weeks. Someone gave me one of these http://http://www.alpineskituning.co...ay.waxwhiz.htm and it works well, especially if you're trying to save.

Quote Originally Posted by flipsRscary View Post
    In CO it'll be cold enough for much of the winter that your wax should last a week or possibly even two. It's spring skiing in warm snow and corn that takes it all right off in less than a single run at the extreme end.

So depending on when you'll be doing most of your skiing, you might not need that much.

+1 for the green dominator zoom as a solid universal, I don't use anything else anymore (I don't race anymore either though).
    I think you have that backwards. Cold dry snowflakes are like little wax scrapers.

Sent from my cell phone. no, a cell phone.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Bluebird. It smells Delicious. Big bars available for cheap.

^^ Yes, super cold snow is very abrasive and calls for a very hard wax. Spring Snow is also very abrasive and calls for a different wax. He has a point, you have a point. OP can likely get away with All Temp if broke.
    "Just send it you pussy."

Sorry Hux. I've been working and not paying attention to TGR for a while. I just sent you a package with a bunch of wax, an iron and a scraper. Should arrive in Boulder on Monday. Alpinord has good stuff, but its always cheaper when dad sends you stuff. Oh, I also included some other cool stuff in there.

Oh, and WTF? Nobody commended the Jong for putting this in the right place? Kid gets it in Tech Talk on first try. FKNA!
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

way to go Dad
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.