Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2013 SoCal Snow Thread

Bring it.

Bear Mountain

Snow Summit

Snow Valley

Thunder Mntn

Mountain High
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 10-30-2014 at 06:18 AM.

Thanks for starting this thread! I refused to do it considering what happened last year.

I think El Nino has been ruled out in favor of La Nada. Either way, there will be more snow in SoCal than last year. (Shit, did I just jinx it again?)

Was gonna head to Baldy last weekend but went up to Julian instead. Snow to 5000~ ft. Winter feels close at elevation.

Will be at Baldy this year (first winter here) with the cheap pass. Would love to hook up with some mags to learn the mtn/tour.

Hiked Baden-Powell weekend before last, was gorgeous weather and the dog got to ride a horse. (Well, sit on one anyway, wasn't too excited about it. Horse couldn't care less.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rocky-horse.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	407.6 KB 
ID:	125628

Air had a nice winter nip to it at dusk, and of course the "no Adventure Pass" citation left on the windshield was a treat. My map on the dash showing Baden-Powell to be outside of the fee area was probalby a nice FU to the rangers. Touché. 1000-oaks:0, The Man:1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1211usfs-ticket-lr.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	314.1 KB 
ID:	125629
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 11-13-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Will be at Baldy this year (first winter here) with the cheap pass. Would love to hook up with some mags to learn the mtn/tour.
    Learn to be at peace with rocks tearing holes in your skis. Baldy never really gets a "base", just a fleeting blanket of snow right after big storms.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Learn to be at peace with rocks tearing holes in your skis. Baldy never really gets a "base", just a fleeting blanket of snow right after big storms.
    I've got the rock skis ready

It can be much better than fleeting at Baldy. The terrain is great, the snow can be fantastic, and the road will be a shitshow. But overall, socal skiing is best appreciated with patience (and equally well rewarded).
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

^^ You're forgetting to work in a bit of the "June sucks" angle.

...and the dog got to ride a horse. (Well, sit on one anyway, wasn't too excited about it. Horse couldn't care less.)
    hahaha! check out the tail on that poor guy. He looks about as terrified as my dog would have. that's a great picture.

Does the adventure pass just depend on where you're parked, and not where you're going?

...and the dog got to ride a horse. (Well, sit on one anyway, wasn't too excited about it. Horse couldn't care less.)
    hahaha! check out the tail on that poor guy. He looks about as terrified as my dog would have. that's a great picture.

Does the adventure pass just depend on where you're parked, and not where you're going?

Let's hope for a winter like the ones from 2008-2011, as opposed to last year. I got lots of good windbuff/slush days in those years. Actually, I think I got lots runs every one of those seasons.

I did get a couple of lot runs last year come to think of it, but they were at the end, when Baldy finally opened. The last few seasons before that Baldy actually had full coverage on Thunder for long strethches.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Is Waterman worth a trip if it snows? Sounds like there may be some good sidecountry to the road in the right conditions?

Also - is there any sort of avy center specifically for the socal mountains? I'd assume not, but you never know..

Mt Waterman can be epic, if you can get there. Some pics here. Heres to a great season for all us flatanders!

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Also - is there any sort of avy center specifically for the socal mountains? I'd assume not, but you never know..
    There should be, but I don't think there is. The snow can be temperamental, and the "pros" don't necessarily know how to read it. For example, the patrol triggered slide that almost took out the ticket line a couple years ago at Baldy.

Baldy has some steep lines, and I try to use best practices with a shovel, probe, transceiver, buddy, and skiing the slope one at a time. Even inbounds.

There have been at least one inbounds (South Bowl) and two OB (NW side of Telegraph) avi fatalities at Baldy in the last 15 years. Plus the thee fatalities in Mt High sidecountry a few years ago (one a patroller's brother if I remember correctly).

Don't know about the history of Baldy Bowl, but it sure looks like it could rip huge. I'm surprised the drainage to the south of the top of chair 4 hasn't taken out the end of the parking lot (I won't park in that path) and run across the road, it's a massive funnel.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 11-18-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Generally a very stable snow pack, but it can and does go big on occasion. There is no consistent avi info for soCal that I have ever seen.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Looks like it's pretty much a sure thing that come the start of February, I'm gonna be a SoCal local again. Is there anywhere to get decent snow forecasting info or is it down to trying to decipher the stuff ourselves?

From NOAA at 8380ft near Mt. Baldy:

Wednesday Snow, mainly after 4pm. High near 37. Breezy, with a south wind around 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
    Wednesday Night Snow. Low around 27. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.
    Thursday Snow showers. High near 28. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

^ I wanted to post that this morning, but every time I post a snow forecast for socal it fucking fizzles. Ullr owes us big time for last year! Let's hope it delivers!

Think that will be enough to ski at baldy? I may need to be sick on friday. I'll take the rock skis though.

This is kinda weird, since the special weather statement is saying 3-6 inches in the mountains. Who knows...

can you link that NOAA site?

Quote Originally Posted by tavis View Post
    Think that will be enough to ski at baldy? I may need to be sick on friday. I'll take the rock skis though.
    Nope, unfortunately.