Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmith
    on them in mixed conditions and so far they are amazing, they realy handle all you throw at them. I guess what baffles me the most is how well they actually float in more lose snow. Kinda makes me want to pick up the denali next season.
    Agreed. Been able to ski them on some "good" ice and every variation of corn and slop possible here in the last month. For the weight it is going to be hard to beat I think compared to the performance. Not hooky IMO and I am skiing some fat boards like the GPO and RPC here as well.

Denali looks to be another very sought after ski for next year. But think the Cho is the better compromise ski. Hard not to not notice the difference in any boot pack with the Cho on your back. Slick.

Quote Originally Posted by sgsbet86 View Post
    Skied my 177 93mm zenoxides for the first time today (Skis I normally ski, 196 renegade, 191 Cease and desist [made extra stiff], 184 cham 107, 186 billy goat, 186 ehp pilsner & 185 bd justice). Obviously these are a totally different board. Frozen groomer to get out the gates was horrible, or great if you like a foot massage from all the vibration. Doubt anything besides a real race ski would've skied that crap well. However skiing corn was great and ridiculously easy to make jump turns on. They hold up at speed as long as it's soft. Edged well on hard smooth snow. Very predictable. Recommended mounting point is too far back, had them mounted at 1.5+ wish I would've gone 2+. On the uphill they're a dream. Great spring touring ski and scored them for around $310 on the gear cache a month ago or so. Overall very impressed, much better although very different superlight ski than the carbon justice which is good in pow and sucks in anything else (praying they delam so I can warranty).
    They sounded great! I will await their return to SAC and try not to pull the trigger :-)

If it does not say superlight on the ski it's just a posuer.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using TGR Forums
    watch out for snakes

Bumpity bump.

Anyone got any time skiing the G3 synapse series, perhaps in the Southern Hemisphere this season??
    On snow review please.... Preferably re the 101.

Anyone have any insight or personal experience on the seven summits 2.0? Looks pretty similar to the nanga parabat shape wise, but they used less carbon/more wood to make it cheaper and slightly heavier (and of course, actually available here in the US).

No personal experience, but for the dimensions to me it counts as very heavy.

At 171 length, 1270 gr and 83 waist

Compare to Cho Oyo

At 174 length, 1160 gr and 88 waist

So the question you have to ask yourself is; what do you want in a ski? is the low 80s waist better than the high 80s of the cho oyo? Is low weight important? Is low price the most important?

If you do want a ski in the low 80s waist and low weight there are two options in the US this year.
    Skitrab Magico(171, 1008gr, 83 waist, $1200) http://skimo.co/ski-trab-magico
    Hagan Wai Drive(170, 1080gr, 83 waist, $770).

If you are willing to look in Europe there are three more options
    Dynafit Nanga Parbat(171, 1045gr, 80 waist) http://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/dyn...-13-14/77366/p
    Movement Bond X(169, 1035gr, 84 waist) http://skimo.co/movement-bond-x-skis
    Movement Apple X(169, 980gr, 80 waist)

And if you are willing to go less than 80 waist, there are two good options in the US this year as well
    Hagan Cirrus(170, 1000gr, 75 waist, $700) http://skimo.co/hagan-cirrus-skis
    Atomic Ultimate 78(170, 1050gr, 78 waist, $800) http://skimo.co/atomic-ultimate-78-skis

Essentially ditto what Tim wrote -- so strange that Dynafit would stop distributing the Nanga Parbat in North America after its apparent success (demonstrated by how few pairs now remain here from last season) and instead distribute here only a new price point model (which recycles a high-end name, and ditto for the entirely new Manaslu).
    Even this new $600 Fischer model is wider *and* lighter than the Seven Summits:
    http://skimo.co/fischer-transalp-88-skis
    And this $600 Movement model could be nice if a 169cm is big enough for you (and your ego is big enough to handle mockery over the girly graphics):
    http://skimo.co/movement-sweet-apple-skis
    Overall, I love so many Dynafit products, but I'm so often baffled by the decision to omit so many of them from North American distribution.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Yes, it seems that the new 7 Summits, new Manaslu (and the Radical boots for that matter) are all "price point" products using familiar molds with heavier, cheaper materials. Whether this stategy will work as "gateway" product to the real stuff remains to be seen - it's likely that the main buyers of these things will be uninformed/newer ski tourists who'll only be happy if they don't actually tour that much. I'd say buy the Nanga Parbat from Europe.

PS I think Telemark-Pyrenees may end up cheaper than SnowInn - $600 USD right now plus shipping

Thanks for the input guys. It is probably somewhat misleading since I posted this under the "superlight" skis thread, but to me 2.7 lbs is still pretty damn light, especially at the price point. This will be something I purchased later on once the mountains have sufficient snow and stability to start tackling some of my plans. I'll just be window shopping in the interim. Thanks again.

It just says "L" on the graphic, not "SL", but maybe these qualify anyway?

https://docs.google.com/a/downskis.c...p=docslist_api

Edit: seems the image hosting on my profile does not work for embedding...
    Last edited by SiSt; 10-03-2014 at 01:15 PM.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

How about the altavia at 1180 gr in 83 waist (basically a price point magico $700)

Not too bad for the price. But as you can see below, if price is the driving factor and you can deal with 'light enough' then the Free Rando Light is a bargain at $385 at bc.com right now.

My calcs show Altavia Light has a mass to surface area ratio of 7495 gr/sq m
    For comparison:
    Magico 171: 6408 gr/ sq m
    Wai Drive 170: 6856 gr/ sq m
    Seven Summits 171: 8251 gr/ sq m
    Free Rando Light 164: 7947 gr/ sq m

This is using a formula based on ski length and tip, waist, tail dimensions which produce surface area very close to what Ski Trab publishes for their skis. So it may be slightly off for other brands/shapes.

We just launched a new model of too light skis with a real solution to the light-skis-suck dilemma.

1300gr 100mm waist 180cm (0,69g/cm2)
    1350gr 100mm waist 185cm (0,69g/cm2)
    1400gr 100mm waist 190cm (0,69g/cm2)

About 92Radikalisering

and more about nockers

Endre Hals / EVI skis

Anyone have suggestions for a light weight ski with a long radius, ideally 26-28M but at least 21, approx 90-100mm underfoot and under 8lbs, hopefully closer to 7 or less, that can still handle speed and aggressive skiing? Best candidate I can find is the Volkl BMT 94 in a 186. Looking for a ski to put Beasts on.

The La Sportiva Carbon Nanotube skis look amazing weight wise but I can't imagine they handle speed well at that weight.

Down 102l

Voile Vectors are excellent (only ski I've been on under 7lbs that isn't a shitty ride on bad snow) but I'm not sure they'd be enough for you.

179 or 183 Bros, or Down 102/ CD4's (the old name) can haul ass and weigh about 8lbs for the pair. Hybrid Bros and Downskis have a similar feel, which is far superior to DPS Pures on hard snow, imo. I actually found the original CD4's a bit too stiff for touring and sold them to Lindahl. It's my understanding that the two of you have a similar style (fast) and he loves them. Would have been a great resort ski if it were longer. I think they've softened them up a bit. I'd love to try the new light version.

Skied my 179 Bros until they were getting floppy, but they were still pretty stable at speed, even at the end.

superlight skis?

Yeah, the Down 102s at 8lbs are wicked good. Love those skis. Definitely worth putting on your list. The 102 Lights also might be worth looking at - 7lbs.

The PM Gear Bros are also really good, but have a less versatile shape, so I sold them.

The Down 102s are the touring ski I've been looking for, for a LONG time now.

Outside of pure powder skis, I'm personally not a fan of reverse camber, ala the BMT 94.

Thanks, those Down 102L look pretty damn perfect.

Where do you buy Down? US is not an option on their website.
    Last edited by neufox47; 10-08-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by endre View Post
    We just launched a new model of too light skis with a real solution to the light-skis-suck dilemma.

About 92Radikalisering

and more about nockers

Endre Hals / EVI skis
    Interesting theory, has it worked well? I thought it was more about the density of the core rather then weight that was the dampening ability.

Quote Originally Posted by geezerb View Post
    Interesting theory, has it worked well? I thought it was more about the density of the core rather then weight that was the dampening ability.
    It works.

It works.
    Thanks for the in depth review.

About 92Radikalisering

and more about nockers

Endre Hals / EVI skis
    Pics of those 200 gr Nockers or GTFO

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    No shit. I nearly posted some sarcastic shit about VAS or Double Deck:

But decided to give you the benefit of the doubt. More info, or people will think you're full of shit.

Pics of those 200 gr Nockers or GTFO
    More info, or people will think you're full of shit.
    Ok, I am sorry for my rude response, I will give you gentlemen a full theory summary (the same info that was on the link I posted, which also contains Images):

800grams on your legs equals about 160 grams in your backpack according to the 1:5 theory . By moving weight from your legs into your backpack or pockets on the way up, you save a lot of energy. (Imagine the opposite, walking with your backpack strapped to your leg)

The concept has been tested by many ski companies and individuals. It has even been patented in many variations, last by Dave Goode (patent never utilized and expired in 2013). The concept has for some reason always died off. However, new ski shapes gives the idea of weighting skis a new setting: Skis are lighter than ever, shapes are different. Too light skis don’t ski as well on challenging snow because they are too light. In addition, rockered skis tend to chatter more on hardpack because of the long tip span.

Weighting the skis at the rocker transition stop the vibrations from the rocker areas, at the same time as it increases the total mass. A 1500gr touring ski becomes a 1900gr freeride ski in a few seconds. It is like putting a finger on a guitar string, the ski is pinched between the snow and the nocker. The weights are cut from 4mm stainless steel and attatched to M6 bolts in the centre. They are shaped for easy grip and can quickly be screwed into inserts that has been molded in the ski at the rocker transition point. Between the steel and the ski is a 2mm rubber sheet, allowing the ski to flex freely.

We have tested this for a few years now, and it works. It simply makes the skis calmer on rough surface by adding mass to the right spot on the skis.
    Last edited by endre; 10-13-2014 at 12:12 AM.