Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Hagan has some nice light stuff out with rockered tips:
    http://haganskiusa.com/HaganSkiUSA/Skis.html

Daemon looks pretty nice.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Moment Eldo at 112-85-101 in 176cm is also an option.

7.2# with tip rocker, flat tail, carbon stringers, and stiff enough flex to get you through shitty snow.

Wish I'd written the weights down of my Charters.

What I do remember is they came in 200-300 grams each heavier than the published numbers, which isn't huge but is still disappointing.

I do like the way they ski - they're not stiff but they're not noodles either. Pretty damp but with enough liveliness to be fun when making tight turns in pow or on hardpack.

SOOOO, I'm wondering - are G3's weights accurate? I'd like to give the Zenoxide a try.

Would love to try the Wailer 105s also but the price of admission is just too high if it turns out I don't like them.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

I know it's skinnier than the OP was considering but for my own interests, has anyone been on the K2 Backup?

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    Wish I'd written the weights down of my Charters.
    You did.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie
    Comparing them side-by-side with the old Gotamas, they are about 3 inches longer though have a much shorter running length due to the very generous amount of rocker. They are also slightly heavier than the Gotamas (bare ski weights coming) which, IIRC, were in the 1850 gram range once the tails were cut off. The Charters are 1920 grams on my scale.
    If you had to do it again, would you buy the Charters? Or something different (wider, shorter, lighter)? I only ask because I'm trying to make a decision between the 186 Charters and the 188 LaSportiva Lo5 (supposedly 1780g).

mattchuck - I just happened to stumble across this while searching for info on the wailer 105s. Forgot I'd posted those numbers, glad you found them for me!

It's really hard for me to answer your question - I simply haven't skied enough different shapes & sizes of skis to be able to answer with any authority.

The Charters get the job done but they're not as much fun as those old Gotamas. I have yet to find a ski that suited my skiing style as well as those. The one thing, and about the only thing I felt the Goats didn't do well was float in really deep snow. The Charters float better, no doubt about it and they charge well in deep snow but they're not as turny as the Goats. They feel like a much longer ski. Maybe I'd like them better one size shorter (I have the 186s, but 176 seems short to me. Wish they'd made these as a 181. Of course, these skis in 176 might end up being the same length as the old Gotamas at 183).

I want to try some different skis but it's hard to demo BC skis - I don't think there's such a thing as demo dynafits, is there? I'd love to try the Wailer 105s and the G3 Zenoxides. For deeper days I also find the Voile Charger intriguing.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help much but without being able to actually demo different skis and shapes I really can't talk too intelligently about them.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Got it done last night 8.260 kilo's for a pair of 191 stokes, mercury's, Dynafit skins all set to go

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    I want to try some different skis but it's hard to demo BC skis - I don't think there's such a thing as demo dynafits, is there? I'd love to try the Wailer 105s and the G3 Zenoxides. For deeper days I also find the Voile Charger intriguing.
    Mountain Outfitters in Breck demos BC skis with dynafit bindings. Not so useful for you in Seattle, but figured I'd mention it

a friend of a rep said Line (of all brands) is coming out with a series that is really light on the freeride side of things playing off all the good hype of the Prophets and Influences. 3 models ranging from like 95mm underfoot to like 125. Sounds interesting but that's all i heard. anyone else hear?

They'll probably have the same retardedly small turn radii.

Thats the biggest problem I see with most potential lightweight skis. They use a groomer turn radius, even though their target audience won't be using them on groomers.

I'll throw my $ .02 of purchase validation into the mix...

I'm loving my Prior Husumes. I have the fiberglass mixed version, but the pures probably come in even lighter than the 8 lbs. or so that mine weigh.

OP - you'll probably wanna start paring down sidecut radius, tip/tail rocker quantity, available sizes, etc. to really figure out what you want - then see if you can score a demo

Quote Originally Posted by bEasternSki View Post
    a friend of a rep said Line (of all brands) is coming out with a series that is really light on the freeride side of things playing off all the good hype of the Prophets and Influences. 3 models ranging from like 95mm underfoot to like 125. Sounds interesting but that's all i heard. anyone else hear?
    I've got a friend who rides for line and he was talking last season about some touring options they were working on and going to send him, but they never did. I'll be back home in January, but I'm sure the pre SIA info crowd will have something by then.

I agree with the turn radius though, whats the deal? I might be a little biases because I think EHPs are ideal and that the last 40 years of camber and sidecut development (making skis better for groomers) has been a regression.

Not super light but we have some options in this years lineup. Peep the sig and contact us anytime. Mag discounts available.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Any chance to demo in the arlberg?

There are some in IBK. Drop me a PM and I can connect you.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Interested to read your thoughts if you get on some downs JRainey. There aren't enough reviews on Countdowns out there. It's only a few weeks until I'll be on some too.

Anyone skied the G3 Zenoxide C3 range ? Specifically interested in the 93mm as a spring touring ski

Here is the updated Wild Snow Chart with a comparison of pretty much all the light weight options.

http://www.wildsnow.com/9657/ski-wei...rison-surface/
    Gravity Junkie

Dynafit Cho Oyu. They hold an edge. Ski any condition /snow well enough. Lot of them on US feet in Cham this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    Dynafit Cho Oyu. They hold an edge. Ski any condition /snow well enough. Lot of them on US feet in Cham this season.
    I hadde a longer debate with myself and ended up with the cho. We still dont have the spring snow, but i have done 3x 3500f mountains on them in mixed conditions and so far they are amazing, they realy handle all you trow at them. I guess what baffles me the most is how well they actually float in more lose snow.

Kinda makes me want to pick up the denali next season.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TGR Forums

While the Cho is certainly light and by most accounts skis pretty darn well and is fairly versatile I just can't get over the deep size cut and tight turning radius. Caveat - I haven't actually skied it but other skis I've been on like that get hooky in the funk.

Next years Denali looks very interesting to me with very minor weight penalty over the Cho.

Also would love to hear feedback on the G3 synapse series.

tjb, I've got some 93mm Zenoxides sitting in the garage awaiting Switchback X2s. Better get them mounted soon, as the corn season in the Sierra is looking pretty short this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    The Praxis Yeti is listed at 7 pounds in the 172.

I just skied a pair of 180 Praxis Backcountry's with ST10's and TLT5's and the whole setup seemed suprisingly light on my feet even though they're 180's and 106 under foot.

By the way, the TLT5's drove those skis pretty well on firm rutted-out crud and firm-to-icy groomers today at the resort... I was surprised how good they felt. I could feel the metatarsal flex in the boot but it didn't seem to affect what I was trying to do negatively. My only real complaint was the low cuff height wasn't ideal, but I guess that's the price to pay for weight savings.

I recently bought some 170cm Vector BC's but haven't skied them yet.

I have a pair of h2o tazlinas which are basically a wider backcountry with a different graphic, at a 184 they weighed in at 8 pounds exactly on the scale. they ski pretty good.

Skied my 177 93mm zenoxides for the first time today (Skis I normally ski, 196 renegade, 191 Cease and desist [made extra stiff], 184 cham 107, 186 billy goat, 186 ehp pilsner & 185 bd justice). Obviously these are a totally different board. Frozen groomer to get out the gates was horrible, or great if you like a foot massage from all the vibration. Doubt anything besides a real race ski would've skied that crap well. However skiing corn was great and ridiculously easy to make jump turns on. They hold up at speed as long as it's soft. Edged well on hard smooth snow. Very predictable. Recommended mounting point is too far back, had them mounted at 1.5+ wish I would've gone 2+. On the uphill they're a dream. Great spring touring ski and scored them for around $310 on the gear cache a month ago or so. Overall very impressed, much better although very different superlight ski than the carbon justice which is good in pow and sucks in anything else (praying they delam so I can warranty).

Thanks for the review, 86, first on snow review I've seen. Sounds like the spring bc daily driver I was hoping for.