Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Some Telluride resort stoke around New Years 2020...

SJs Rule!

Got into some new terrain recently- super fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doug in  Chute.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	282.7 KB 
ID:	311679

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    No action in this thread, despite that the San Juans have been having an excellent early season. And it’s even somewhat stable (by San Juan standards).

I’m pretty lame and mostly ski low angle trees, sometimes with my 15yo daughter, but I’ll share a few pics of recent SWCO adventures.

Attachment 310233
    Top of Sam’s. Red Mountain area

Attachment 310234
    My buddy finding soft pillows in Deer Creek. Coal Bank Pass area.

Attachment 310235
    My daughter also in Deer Creek.

Attachment 310240
    Our group getting ready for an even deeper second lap in Deer Creek.

Attachment 310236
    This one takes an explanation. We recently got a fat Ebike (https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...ctric-fat-bike) for commuting and general car-replacement sort of stuff. My daughter came up with the (brilliant) plan of using it to access ski terrain up in La Plata Canyon. I towed her a few miles back to Bedrock Canyon. Typically that’s a long and slow slog on a nearly flat dirt road. We crushed it in 15 minutes, and it was a blast. Ditched the bike and skinned up to the ridge just below tree line.

Attachment 310237
    The kid in Bedrock. Thats Babcock peak in the La Platas behind her.

Attachment 310238
    Her first ever ski-rip picture.

Attachment 310239
    Bedrock

Attachment 310241
    It’s a rough life.

Sorry for all the kid-stoke and lack of serious gnar. It’s all I got. I’m old and lame.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Great Pics and kid stoke!

I hate to C*** up the stoke thread but am hoping I can get some advice on an upcoming trip with my 11 year old son.

Flying into Denver on Feb 13th for a week of skiing. I was planning on hitting some of the ski "areas" I've wanted to ski for 20+ years but never got to with my ski partners. I was planning on heading to Pagosa Springs and skiing Wolf Creek with a couple of days in Durango skiing Purgatory.

A friend suggested staying in Gunnison, which appears to be dirt cheap, and skiing C Butte and Powderhorn.

I've always wanted to check out Wolf Creek and Powderhorn because I do appreciate the ski area feel and have heard W Creek is great. The downside to Wolf Creek and Purgatory is the long shag out there. However, I figured it would be a lot less crowded than the rest of CO. Hotels are available in both places with pools and jacuzzis to keep us happy. Pagosa has the Springs as well.

We will both spend most of our time skiing off piste (anything not requiring air) if there is fresh snow or groomers if it is bumped up.

Anything anyone can share regarding Gunnison (CB and Powderhorn) vs Pagosa Springs (Wolf Creek) and Durango (purgatory) would be appreciated. I'm interested in quality of skiing, crowds, feel of the town, etc.

Thanks and hope this post did not kill the stoke.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    Great Pics and kid stoke!

I hate to C*** up the stoke thread but am hoping I can get some advice on an upcoming trip with my 11 year old son.

Flying into Denver on Feb 13th for a week of skiing. I was planning on hitting some of the ski "areas" I've wanted to ski for 20+ years but never got to with my ski partners. I was planning on heading to Pagosa Springs and skiing Wolf Creek with a couple of days in Durango skiing Purgatory.

A friend suggested staying in Gunnison, which appears to be dirt cheap, and skiing C Butte and Powderhorn.

I've always wanted to check out Wolf Creek and Powderhorn because I do appreciate the ski area feel and have heard W Creek is great. The downside to Wolf Creek and Purgatory is the long shag out there. However, I figured it would be a lot less crowded than the rest of CO. Hotels are available in both places with pools and jacuzzis to keep us happy. Pagosa has the Springs as well.

We will both spend most of our time skiing off piste (anything not requiring air) if there is fresh snow or groomers if it is bumped up.

Anything anyone can share regarding Gunnison (CB and Powderhorn) vs Pagosa Springs (Wolf Creek) and Durango (purgatory) would be appreciated. I'm interested in quality of skiing, crowds, feel of the town, etc.

Thanks and hope this post did not kill the stoke.

Monarch is just up the road from Gunnison so it might make sense to tie that in with that trip. CB is one of my most favorite classic ski towns and the terrain is super rad. There's no shortage of steep and technical but if they don't have a decent base the mountain really comes up short imho. It doesn't deliver very much really good cruiser stuff or single black trees etc that don't need a ton of coverage.

I love Durango, Purg isn't the most challenging mountain but the terrain is really playful with tons of rollers and hits all over the place, some good trees and there are some steeps but they aren't very long. If you're there and want something more exciting than Silverton should not be missed. It's the anti-resort and the town ain't fluffy, not yet at least. You can do a guided day with a heli drop for under 300 I believe. WC is fun for a day or two, not my favorite hill, the flats are FLAT but I really dig Pagosa. It's a still to be discovered sort of Colorado mountain town.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I ski wolf creek. We are having a great year. Coverage is excellent. You can ski anywhere all the trees are in play. Other than holidays there is never a crowd. Even then the texans do not ski off the groomers. you will never see a lift line. You can always find an untracted line days after a storm. The flats are only a problem on the deepest days when the snow is heavy. We just got 5" so I can say the mountain was a blast today. Everything was fast and smooth. Your son would probably enjoy the snowcat out to horseshoe bowl. The food is reasonable. $11 buys the lunch special which includes desert. Today was beef stew.
    Pagosa is a nice town. It has the springs and a small downtown area to walk around by them. The town fixed up some pools in the river so you can soak for free in a somewhat natural setting if you want. There is also the developed places.
    The ride up to wolf creek is spectacular. There is more traffic than coming from the east. However it will not be an issue. It is always moving and only could be an issue with a major storm on a holiday. The road has climbing lanes and wide shoulders.
    I am on the south fork side. There is not much going on over here. One advantage is the drive is a little shorter. Also if the pass closes for avalanche control the east side stays open. You can split lanes all the way to your private ski area. Monarch is under 2hrs, Taos and crested butte are less than 3 from south fork. A fun non ski day from here is hitting sand dunes national park and the hot springs pool in Hooper. There will be no traffic on any of these drives.
    my opinion is Pagosa is preferable to stay. However I think the drive to Durango sucks and I do not do it at night due to large animals. Pagosa is definitely preferable to Gunnison. I do not know anything about Powderhorn. Crested Butte is supposed to be a great mountain I have never skied there. I keep waiting for it to snow.
    If you have any questions I would be happy to answer. If I am around I would gladly show you around.
    off your knees Louie

Thanks a ton for the information RA13 and BFD. You guys are great. I can't wait to get out there and see southern CO.

Snow diaphanous and deep at Brills Weight Loss Clinic and Institute for powmadness:

No traffic, no hassles, no bros, just plain sweet pow ripping. Dope Chute on above left, RopeDeeDope Ramp on above left.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Looking good Buster, I am traveling over for feb 6,7,8. from Idaho. We scored on the free heli drop and your stoke is getting me excited to ski silverton.

Yesterday was a solid four flake day: bluebird cold pow, big hikes, big turns.

Regarding the heli drop: one is never enough.

Such a sweet spot

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post

Just to be clear, Powderhorn Ski Area is nowhere near Powderhorn, Colo. Powderhorn the town is on the way to Lake City, which has a town-run poma lift. Powderhorn the ski area is at least 2.5 hours from Gunnison over narrow winding roads. Powderhorn the ski area is an OK place -- there are some screaming groomers that I love, and you can see the Book Cliffs from the ski area, which are dope. But it's smaller than both Monarch and Wolf Creek.

If you stay in Durango you'd be more likely to ski Purgatory, Hesperus, and Silverton (and Kendall and Chapman, if you are into that sort of thing).

If you wanted to ski Powderhorn, it would make more sense to stay in Grand Junction, so you could bike Fruita on a down day, or in Parachute, which would set you up to also ski Sunlight.

Pagosa is a cute town. South Fork is nice, but has limited services.

Purgatory is a great mountain with fantastic views and is having a good season. It's a cruiser mountain -- full of solid blues you can rip. There is limited steep skiing. There is a bit of a resort there but it is not resorty at all.

here is a view of wolf creek pass

Name:	20200123_115743.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	832.5 KB 
ID:	312124
    taken yesterday from the top of the flats

Name:	20200123_135801.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	621.8 KB 
ID:	312125
    off your knees Louie

Buster when you say long hike, similar to the glory boot pack on Teton pass? During your total day
    What was the amount of vert you hiked? Coming from Pocatello and we backcountry ski around here, and any other tips for silverton. Beside tip your guide

Quote Originally Posted by telehacker View Post
    Buster when you say long hike, similar to the glory boot pack on Teton pass? During your total day
    What was the amount of vert you hiked? Coming from Pocatello and we backcountry ski around here, and any other tips for silverton. Beside tip your guide
    I don't know the Glory bootpack, but the top of the Silverton chair is 12,100, the top of Tiger Claw (accesses Rope Dee zone) is 12,600, Bill board is 13,000+-, Hollywood rock is about 12,300.

Yesterday we did 1 ropedee ramp (500 vert climb to start), 1 Cabin (100 foot climb to start, 100 foot climb out), Waterfall (Hollywood rock, so 200 vert) and a tower 13 (100), so about 1000 vert of climbing at 12000+.

I live at 600 feet of elevation.

I am currently making a lot of old man noises.

Thanks for the intel

Coming up Tiger Claw.

Here's a quick video of the Silverton Mountain from across Velocity Basin on top of 'Old Guy's Halfpipe'. It start at Storm Peak and Grande Couloir down through the Velocity Basin side of Silverton Mountain and beyond. I have a zillion photos from the other side if needed....
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Waterfall

As BC13 said above I don't want to slow down the stoke train but curious if anyone in here skis Telluride? I'm going to be there 2/21-2/25. I've been once before and was blow away by some of the terrain (Dihedral Chute, Mountain Quail, etc). I would love to have some local beta though. Bringing my 2.5 y/o who made his first trip last year at 1 and my dad who loves groomers and easy bumps.

To offset the lack of stoke I'll offer some kid stoke and a 3 yr old pic of a small double up cliff that sent me for a beautiful double ejection yard sale somewhere around dihedral chute/face on a soft day. Look before you leap...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Silverton temporary couloir snow art.

Looks awesome Buster. I'm bummed I couldn't make it over there. My legs were too torn up Thursday to ski because I got roped into skiing Wednesday and I have ski race commitments back here tmmrw so had to roll out early.

Moar San Juan Couloirs:

and some terrain:

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Moar San Juan Couloirs:

and some terrain:

Is the first shot above Velocity Basin to the skier's right of the Grand Couloir or another drainage? I'm not seeing tracks on the left.

Name:	IMG_7140.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	277.4 KB 
ID:	312365

Name:	IMG_7154.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	312364

It made me think of the speed skiing start location. In case you were not aware, this is where they ran the 'Velocity Peak' events from in the '80s.

1982 Silverton Franz Weber 125.959 / 203.160
    1983 Silverton Franz Weber 129.017 / 208.092
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Is the first shot above Velocity Basin to the skier's right of the Grand Couloir or another drainage? I'm not seeing tracks on the left.
    It's another drainage above Cunningham.

A shout out to all the kooks, witches and wizards at Silverton Mountain: Aaron, Jenny, Emma, Caroline, Calvin, Caleb, Kim, Adam, Rob, Krista, Fabio, Skyler, Marc, Sam, Grady, Jess, ChrisC, Chris, Cam, Jamie, Josh, Gideon, Jack, Evan, and the return of Stan. I had another fantastic time of pow, bootpacks, sweat, super camaraderie, woods, alpine, stream crossings and more pow.

Props folks for your work.