Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    some folks went backcountry skiing today and did a lot of things right but shit still went wrong. RIP. please keep it tight in the 387.

this one's for the love of pow...
    Last edited by covert; 02-02-2013 at 09:56 PM.

This thread rocks...good to see the San Juan's get back on track this year. Thanks for the pics and vids.

^^^ covert, what happened?

we went sled skiing into the La Plata's* today. We kept it pretty mellow in some low angle sheltered trees.

Getting pulled up into Bedrock Creek of La Plata Canyon. I don't have a ton of sled-skiing experience but man, it was funnnnnn.

Lots of lines for a different day. Not skiing that stuff today.

If you've never been back in the La Platas there is a ton of terrain back there.

The skiing was good. not a ton of action shots for obvious reasons

skied N facing trees and found good pow. no signs of instablity....no observed slides. no whumpfing or fractures propogating. things "felt" good but we were pretty mellow. Sorry to hear murmurs of bad shit near Silverton. vibes.

*Yeah, the La Plata are not the same as the San Juans. i recognize this. but really really close
    Last edited by Tech Tonics; 02-02-2013 at 11:16 PM.

See the Herald.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 02-03-2013 at 06:55 AM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by covert View Post
    some folks went backcountry skiing today and did a lot of things right but shit still went wrong. RIP. please keep it tight in the 387.
    ^^^Sucks to hear this. We definitely encountered instabilities on red mtn pass yesterday. We felt 3-4 relatively small collapses while breaking trail up Sam's yesterday morning. We dug a relatively exposed E facing pit just below the summit and found the recent storm layer (approx 40" after settling for a few days) to be pretty much bomber all the way down to the ~18" of depth hoar. The snow pack on north aspects below treeline in the eastern edge of the SJ zone was bomber this morning.

Vibes to anybody that may have been injured or worse. Please elaborate if possible, sounds like a discussion is warranted.

http://durangoherald.com/article/201...in-avalanche--

Lots of stuff moving all over the state the last couple days.
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

Fuck. RIP. I know a couple of those names. Thanks for doing what you do, patrollers, guides, SAR, forecasters, and good samaritans.

RIP and best wishes for those affected. From the article it sounds like it happened up Cement Creek and possibly Red Mtn1.

This thread just got a dose of reality and some tempering anti-stoke. Have fun, but be safe as possible in it's pursuit.

From CAIC:

Special Advisory Statement in Effect through 02/06/2013 12:00 PM
    On Saturday February 2nd there were at least five avalanche incidents across the state from the Wyoming border to Silverton in southern Colorado. There was one fatality, and several people with reported injuries.

The current snowpack across Colorado is in a delicate state of balance. Before the last storm cycle moved across the state the base layers of the snow were exceptionally weak. The new snow during the storm came in with significant wind and a high water content, meaning the new snow was heavy, and developed quickly into dangerous slabs.

It is taking little additional stress to trigger large, deep and dangerous avalanches. These conditions will linger for some time into the future. Backcountry riders are advised to use extra caution if traveling in or around avalanche terrain today.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

[QUOTE=Alpinord;3898427]RIP and best wishes for those affected. From the article it sounds like it happened up Cement Creek and possibly Red Mtn1.

Slide happend on a run called "Clothes Line" (because it has an old telegraph cable running across it) that is climbers left a few hundred yards up the unplowed Corkscrew Pass Road, which cuts up left just before the mine and the end of the Silverton Mt. backside shuttle pickup road. It is part of an area some people call "Gwenda Land."
    Gravity Junkie

I wasn't sure before, but it was Bill Carver's son. Such a sad loss. RIP Peter.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 02-04-2013 at 06:38 AM. Reason: added news story link

RIP to Peter Carver and condolences to his family and friends. Tragic situation. We just came back from the San Juan's and it was twitchy as hell. So sad to lose people so young who are enjoying life so fully.

From Bill 2/4:

Yesterday, a group of us climbed up to the spot where Peter's life ended. Fortunately, we were able to speak with the CAIC investigator group on scene, and listen to their preliminary assessment. They will put out an official report in about a week on their website. The last of their 3 runs, Duncan and Peter skied down one a time, and stopped in the trees off of the avalanche gully in what would normally be considered a zone of safety. Nate was higher up and made a few turns. An avalanche was kicked off, which propagated laterally about 300', including the area above the trees outside of the gully. The avalanche went to the ground and swept through the trees, and Peter was carried out into the gully and down several hundred vertical feet, through the younger trees where he suffered the trauma that took his life. Going there helps makes sense of what happened, to see the level of power that was involved. Luckily, Duncan and Nate were favored in the unfolding.

Perhaps you read the article and wonder why anyone would risk so much in the backcountry. Going there and touching the tree that stopped Peter, seeing the views and the pristine air, the lightly falling snow, and the quiet expanse of our beautiful mountains, I understand. Peter loved the snow.
    BTW GoldenBear, was Bob cat skiing with you? He trashed his knee at the end of last season and I hadn't heard lately if he was back in the saddle.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

^^^ Sad news. Very sad. RIP skier! Sincere condolences to family and friends.

Great to see the San Juans are on fire. Enjoy but be careful out there. Twitchy snow pack from the sound of things.
    The Passion is in the Risk

Alpinord - By Goldenbear, I assume you meant me? If so, yes, Bob was out skiing. I think someone mentioned that he's had a knee replacement but I don't know when. He skied fine. I love that 4WD van of his with the Mattrax! Nice way to get to the cat.

Thx. Glad Bob's skiing again.

Well, this bad boy Ford F350 XL diesel with Mattracks just sold and is heading near you. Missed out on getting a group buy together. Snooze ya lose.

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Nice! Here's Bob's rig:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Picture (1).jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	131935

Posted this in the CO weather thread but I feel like it's more applicable here.

Went on a FLC outdoor pursuits backcountry trip yesterday. We ended up skiing Pumphouse near Silverton. It snowed like all hell before we got on the mountain but stopped for the skin up.
    Attachment 132296

We started skiing right about 2:45ish and the snow started to come down. 3" an hour rate at least. I'd say there was 12-14" at least of absolute blower.
    Attachment 132297

Continued to snow like that during the drive back over Molas. Complete whiteout with about 4" of snow on the road. As we were headed towards coal bank we hit an avalanche in the road that literally was ending right as we hit it. Luckily we only nearly slid off the road and had to dig ourselves out.
    Attachment 132298
    Attachment 132299
    Crazy day.

I know I'm being redundant, but Telluride was thoroughly stunning the morning. A foot of fresh (at least), cold temps, and more on the way...

And it seems that (our beloved, local) Lift 8 does indeed spin on powder days. 9-11 AM yesterday and today.

Glad to here the FLC trip went well! I work in the ski and bike shop on campus. Some sketchy snowpack going on for sure, glad all were ok. Heard tons of bombing across from Red 3 area this morning.

[img]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0774.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	132404[/img]

Beautiful morning on Red Mountain Pass today.

My friend Pete and I camped 1/9 and were gifted the majestic views of Ohio Peak upon unzipping the vestibule this morning. The sun tried to poke through, giving us a strange mix of bluebird and haze until Storm clouds then moved in and and it started dumping again. No complaints.

Name:	IMG_0761.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	132405[/img]

Out humble abode, borrowed from a friend. The night was cold, but luckily calm and winds shifted as forecasted so the S facing door worked well. Our combined body temperatures did little to affect the warmth in the tent interior and we spent our time huddled in every layer we had, cooking, eating and finally sleeping. Cold resets us and allows our minds to focus only on the simplest tasks - a much needed push of the reset button.

Name:	IMG_0757.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	946.9 KB 
ID:	132406[/img]

The rose slowly, lethargically in the cold early morning over MacMillan Peak. I watched its progress in the stillness, and as it rose a primal, foot-warming, sundance ensued.

We cooked, ate, and broke camp, stashing large packs in our shoveled out front stoop and filling in our tent space with clean snow.

The skin up to the ridge North of MacMillan was brisk, almost desperate, trying to warm boots and feet. We saw a large group lapping the zone we were approaching. Upon reaching the top of the zone we said hello, seeing from familiar faces 1/8 and took our run. We then headed to the Backyard. I broke a steep skin track up along the Eastern side of the trees, cutting zig zags into pristine powder. We ripped skins and descended, floating gently to the left of our skin track.

After lunch at the bottom of the Backyard we skinned up and headed towards Red 3. On our exit from the backyard I felt an obvious collaps while crossing a narrow wind-loaded gully. The whump brought to the surface of our collective conscience the vigilance necessary for safe backcountry travel. A state of mind that had momentarily been smothered by powder bliss. That whump was generous reminder from the mountains.

We cautiously dropped into the lower portion of Oh Boy hugging the trees until we were satisfied with the stability. We caused no visible signs of movement or instability so while keeping exit points and avalanche signs in mind, we enjoyed blower all the way to the bottom where we convened to skiers left of the runout.

The slog back to the saddle of MacMillan we skied to start the day passed surprisingly swiftly and we ripped skins one last time and skied a final run to embrace the comforting burden of our full packs. We left tired and at peace, savoring the lingering moments of simplicity that nature provides.
    Last edited by TREESS; 02-11-2013 at 10:56 PM.

why is nobody stoked in the san juan these days? snow is coming for the weekend so that's something..

Quote Originally Posted by TREESS View Post
    why is nobody stoked in the san juan these days? snow is coming for the weekend so that's something..
    Everyone is resting up for what is going to be a sick weekend in the san juan. My best bud just called stoked. Tride is going to go off. Fuel up the jet...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

yeah buddy thats what I'm talking about. It's gonna be good for sure. looking forward to some TR's and photo stoke

Deepest day of the year in Telluride today.