Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    cross post from MC thread thought I'd also post this here.

Heading to T-Ride a week from this Friday so outbound March 9th skiing starting the 11th. Anybody else going to be in the San Juan house? Kid in high school so have to travel during spring break for the time being. Have a small group but always nice to ski with new people.

Considering Silverton on Thursday March 15th for a medium speed group just to bite the dog that bit me and try to get past my anxiety from acl incident. Still have some ptsd from blowing out my knee there 2 years ago and wrecking the morning for a group of worthy rippers while I extracted myself with their help. Seems like the weather pattern is a bit more favorable for something good to happen now than it was just a couple three weeks ago.

Here's a big shout out of thanks to the Silverton Mountain crew and for the snow gods blessing of copious diaphanous dendrites. Cal, Shockley, Roof, Fabio, Tyler, Emma, Ally, 88, Chris, Jeremy, Kim, man thanks for making that one another amazing few days. All time powfest. Memorable time of deep tasty turns.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

^^^yep

Probably should throw in Grady, Alex, Skylar and some others.

I think it is probably pretty binary around here regarding peoples opinions on Silverton. Probably falling on deaf ears but here is the 2018 update.

The owners are up in Alaska with the helicopter so the guides are running the show.

They are leasing a heli as needed/demanded from Montrose. Those that flew last Saturday had the best day of their lives.

The base is there, all the egresses are in. The mountain is skiing very well.

If you're guide can trust you, you will ski fresh tracks all day.

All time powfest....I like the sounds of that!
    At the least, they should have gotten a yellow heli
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 02-14-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Booked on Thursday the 15th at Silverton. College ID special is $99 for guided so I couldn't pass that up - time to bite the dog that bit me. I booked my 15 year old stepson with his high school ID and it worked fine.

http://silvertonmountain.com/best-study-break-ever/

T-Ride the rest of the week 11-16.

Tickets to Sam Bush on Monday the 12th!

http://www.sheridanoperahouse.com/ev...d816620effad9d

That sounds like an awesome trip! Sam Bush always puts on a good show in Telluride.

The San Juans have been delivering recently. Not a lot of snow in the forecast but at least most of the mountains are open at this point.

Here is a quick skin track stoke photo shot from a couple weeks ago skinning of the road from the top of Red Mountain Pass.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skintrack Stoke 2:18:18.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	227043

Wish I had more stoke to post but I haven't been on skis much this season and my phone likes to die in the cold these days.

Edit: Why is my picture upside down lol.
    Edit 2: Fixed it.

^^^^
    Nice shot!

Spring conditions were happening at Telluride this past weekend before the new 5". Still good chalky bumps, depending on aspect sprinkled with logs and rocks. Gravel in places, including top of Gold Hill. Milk Run finally opened. It can be sweet corn in the AM. Check the grooming report for alternating between Bushwhacker & The Plunge for AM corduroy.

Plan on catching some tunes, eye candy (wear dark glasses) and brews at the Gorrono beach and a bite at Giuseppe's:

Name:	IMG_4814.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	355.4 KB 
ID:	227057
    Last edited by Alpinord; 03-06-2018 at 05:45 PM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

San Juan Stoke 12/13

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    as a clueless outsider with a mid-april hut trip booked, what's the snowpack like at say, 9k', 10k', 11k', ...? what's mid-elevation there? hoping the N/E at least is still holding when I get out that way...
    Well, there was an avalanche near Last Dollar Pass a week or so ago triggered by a hut group. Check the CAIC report.

Hopefully, we’ll get more overdue snows, but the base layers are weak and steeper slopes may be dicey for some time.

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    hm thanks. I guess enough snow to be sketchy is better than no snow? lol
    It just differs on how much you want to get trundled through/with while looking at the dirt.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Nice stoke guys. Just checked into the Mountainside Inn. Warm here today. Looks like low tide spring skiing. Good week for late starts and early beer thirties...love this place even if Ullr is frowning this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Ski week stoke...
    Your kids rip.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Your kids rip.
    Ha, thanks. Now that little league started, weekend Mighty Mites at Squaw is looking hard to make. Guess I'll have to pull them from school to get their days in...

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Nice stoke guys. Just checked into the Mountainside Inn. Warm here today. Looks like low tide spring skiing. Good week for late starts and early beer thirties...love this place even if Ullr is frowning this year.
    If I were you...my plan would be to check which runs off 9 & 15 are groomed each morning and b-line there. Nothing better than hauling ass down Bushwacker without people. Chair 15 run under the chair is actually damn good...fast, usually firm but edgeable, and has the morning sun with views. The wind can deposit great snow in 15 and down the Dynamo, Little Rose off 14, and the hike-to's off 12. Early lunch at Bon Vivant (splurge one day) or late lunch at Giueseppe's gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    If I were you...my plan would be to check which runs off 9 & 15 are groomed each morning and b-line there. Nothing better than hauling ass down Bushwacker without people. Chair 15 run under the chair is actually damn good...fast, usually firm but edgeable, and has the morning sun with views. The wind can deposit great snow in 15 and down the Dynamo, Little Rose off 14, and the hike-to's off 12. Early lunch at Bon Vivant (splurge one day) or late lunch at Giueseppe's gets my vote.
    Lots of good snow on chair 9! Stairs skiing well. Little rose is good. Today we spent much of the day on the hike to's off of 12. Great time. With a mixed group. Keeping it mellow and sneaking away now and again to rip with a friend.

Chair 15 is plenty of fun as well.

Love this place.

Stepson in stairs, 7 year old on hike to's off 12 and gettong birdy.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 03-12-2018 at 05:20 PM.

T-ride skied pretty great this weekend. Milk Run on sat morning was amazing and the chalk in Rev Bowl was excellent and soft on Sunday.

Ran into someone (uglymoney maybe?) at Giueseppe's yesterday. First time ever running into someone from TGR but it is obvious when a group has 4 pairs of ON3P and Free the Powder gloves. I was hella strung out from partying the last couple days and didn't even think to ask who you were, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    T-ride skied pretty great this weekend. Milk Run on sat morning was amazing and the chalk in Rev Bowl was excellent and soft on Sunday.

Ran into someone (uglymoney maybe?) at Giueseppe's yesterday. First time ever running into someone from TGR but it is obvious when a group has 4 pairs of ON3P and Free the Powder gloves. I was hella strung out from partying the last couple days and didn't even think to ask who you were, sorry!
    That was my friend Steve, my stepson, wife et al. I was in the bathroom or something. Steve posted here once and was a little confused! Lol. My stepson filled me in and he thought it was funny. Thanks for checking in and I am sorry that I just missed you. Would have been the bomb to meet a San Juan mag.

That was my friend Steve stepson wife et al. I was in the bathroom or something. Steve posted here once and was a little confused! Lol. Thanks for checking in and I am sorry that I just missed you.

That would explain why change for a nickel got no response lol. Shame I just missed you! Glad to hear you're enjoying Telluride. It is a fantastic mountain, even with the mediocre winter we've had.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    That would explain why change for a nickel got no response lol. Shame I just missed you! Glad to hear you're enjoying Telluride. It is a fantastic mountain, even with the mediocre winter we've had.
    Next time!

Siam Thai and Sam Bush tonight. My brain might explode.

Next time!

Siam Thai and Sam Bush tonight. My brain might explode.

Siam is so, so good.

Caught Keller Williams and Martin Sexton on Friday night. Such a great show, but Sam Bush is the King of Telluride for a reason. Have a blast, I am jealous.

Silverton was so much fun today. Snowed all day, good blow in, plenty of floaters. Surprise awesome. Myself and another dad took our boys on the 99 dollar student ID special. Guide Jeremy kept us going to the goods. I have better video proof but cant seem to upload it.

Name:	20180315_134123.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	228444

No shots of the deepest pockets but skiing 8 inches deep plus in places.

^^^ ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    as a clueless outsider with a mid-april hut trip booked, what's the snowpack like at say, 9k', 10k', 11k', ...? what's mid-elevation there? hoping the N/E at least is still holding when I get out that way...
    I haven't found this on the CAIC site yet, but a friend told me they 'took the persistent slab danger off the list' after the snowpack went isothermic. The wind and storm slab danger will obviously still be around, but it's 'feeling/sounding' like at least the base is more reliable.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com