Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Its said she never gives up her dead.

Thirtyseven years ago, Nov. 10 1975, Big Fitz went to the bottom of Lake Superior with all 29 hands lost. What a storm.
    http://www.duluthharborcam.com/
    http://attic.areavoices.com/2012/11/...nd-fitzgerald/
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

quite a storm, indeed.
    those ship's don't look like they can stand the weather.
    man, that must have been a scary fucking night.
    crab in my shoe mouth

It seems that two inventions since then have probably saved a lot of sailors - the survival suit and raft.

Maybe. Not sure how long you'd last even in a raft with a survival suit if it's the middle of a huge fucking storm and everything is covered in ice. You'd get hypothermia pretty damn fast just sitting there.

Better than nuthin'.

The best invention for sailors (besides spot beacons) has probably been self deploying rafts that inflate and pop up to the surface when the boat goes down. But you have to make it to the raft once it surfaces. Big waves and heavy winds can make that a daunting task, even in warm water.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Maybe. Not sure how long you'd last even in a raft with a survival suit if it's the middle of a huge fucking storm and everything is covered in ice. You'd get hypothermia pretty damn fast just sitting there.
    Gumby suit is pretty damn warm.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Maybe. Not sure how long you'd last even in a raft with a survival suit if it's the middle of a huge fucking storm and everything is covered in ice.
    That's why the real pros roll with two Scotchgarded cotton sweatshirts and a pair of hip waders.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    I sat on the roof of a shore side cabin on Georgian bay and watched that sucker rage while whacked on some pretty good drugs. Its the sort of thing that sticks with you.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

"""".."""'''mnbvcxzdzdasddvfghjklpllllłłłpöøøîîííi íúuÿtręęèèwqźxçççvvbńñń
    Last edited by TomCrac; 11-10-2012 at 11:54 PM.

So that is what happened to Ella Fitzgerald. I always wondered what happened to her.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Went out on a high note?

The glass was half full .

Ironically Superior gives up lots of it's dead and lot's have been saved in huge storms. This was just a more recent wreck. There are tons of wrecks on Superior to dive and you are not allowed to dive by law on wrecks where the ship is believed to be the grave of sailors. Split Rock was made because of an arguably worse storm that took quite a few ships down in the area. Sure certain organizations are allowed to look at the wreck and have done a little recovery (not body) but at least in Superior normal divers can't. Granted it's really deep but there are ways to get down there safe like using a dive capsule with airlines that allow divers to go out in such high pressure with special gases and then go back in the capsule to slowly decompress.

^^^^^ Plus there are sea serpents in Lake Superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    ^^^^^ Plus there are sea serpents in Lake Superior.
    Shhhh!!!! I've been tracking old Nelly and have a plan to rule the universe once I catch her. It's a little known fact that her tail breaks off and regrows like some lizards. I almost had her.

39 years ago bump. Storm moving in today. We will see what we get.

Drowning sucks, crossing the Atlantic in hurricane season en route to a Med deployment we were lashed by 100+mph winds and had waves break over the bow of an aircraft carrier. While trying to move equipment into the hanger bay via one of the side elevators a wave came up a swept the entire platform clean. Took a guy, a tow motor and the trailer he was moving right off for ever. No way to find him.
    watch out for snakes

Gale warnings for the big lake today. I sure as shit would not want to be out there today.

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    Gale warnings for the big lake today. I sure as shit would not want to be out there today.
    Has shipping been shut down yet or is it a ways away? Either way, terrifying stuff I'm sure if you're out there today.
    I still call it The Jake.

Full steam ahead until Jan 15 when the locks close.

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    Full steam ahead until Jan 15 when the locks close.
    Cool, I couldn't recall from my annual E.F. history reading around this date when they shut stuff down.

Great Lakes are nothing to trifle with in the late fall. Worst I've ever personally seen was trying to sail a buddy's J boat back to Cleveland from Marblehead the first weekend in November about 10 years ago. Terrible storm with snow flurries and a stupid thing to get caught out there in. I was frozen solid and terrified when we finally got into our slip. No Great Lakes for me after Labor Day from that point on.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by L7 View Post
    I sat on the roof of a shore side cabin on Georgian bay and watched that sucker rage while whacked on some pretty good drugs. Its the sort of thing that sticks with you.
    Damn.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Its said she never gives up her dead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1415680212.478933.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	160160

Halloween this yr mid lake on Michigan wouldve been a pucker event.

Done a few runs from Door County to Chicago in the summer. Been humbled a few times on the big water.