Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Its said she never gives up her dead.

—————
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You don’t use Gitchigumi in casual conversation?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Beat me to it!

`•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Thanks!

That was really awesome and included lots of stuff from my childhood.

Those ships dock and offload huge piles of limestone outside my house. Its like having a huge factory at the end of the block for a few hours, then it’s gone. Lots of the Great Lakes Trader this year…which seems sketchy, like a tugboat kinda semi-permanently attached to the cargo part.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43B2A9B3-BD46-4AC4-8B94-6FCD26173B3A.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	392433

Name:	0721C586-ABBD-4C53-8E27-39E6BDD21885.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	392434

So…the ship in that show is now called the Kaye Barker and is still a regular visitor here. I’ll try to get a picture next time I get a chance.

The lake was all stirred up and nasty yesterday, and the Stewart J Cort was in an unusual position,

Name:	09DA11E0-6914-4DA0-9289-5D04F6FB0074.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	363.5 KB 
ID:	392435
    That’s (obviously) a zoom of a zoom, the ship was like 20 miles away, but yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that close to shore over there. On one hand cautious about avoiding bigger water, on the other hand pretty close to shore…pretty shallow water.
    Anyway, water-wise it was one of those days yesterday, but above-freezing so no deadly icing issues.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 11-12-2021 at 07:48 AM.

Steve who?

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    I agree w/ Root and Harry…it’s North Shore in MN and WI.
    Huh ? No way is WI “North Shore”, that’s MN.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    MRoot, was that golf pic of Superior National? I only played there once but no matter what break my putt looked to have, everything broke towards the lake. Really cool course.
    No, Northland Country Club right in the middle of Duluth. It is the funnest golf course I have ever played. Some of the most notorious and nightmare-inducing greens around, and like Superior, everything breaks toward the lake, except when it doesn't. The greens are so fast that I think they must have been the inspiration for this all-time banger:

Name:  No13LakeSuperiorYachtCC.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  504.1 KB

And Harry, I think he just means people in WI call it the North Shore...to distinguish it from the South Shore.

Name:  sub-buzz-25891-1483469517-1.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  51.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Never mentioned Lorelei that I recall, but possible - he grew up in Düsseldorf. Most of the stories that far back are of the mom and pop operations on the river. And working with men in the shadow aftermath of the WW2 theatre. Tight, fast water was probably a welcome run to a young teen at the time. I'll ask next we talk, love teasing recollections I haven't heard before or hear rarely from him.
    Apologies--I was being sarcastic. The Lorelei is a little cliff where I guess a lot of drunk boatmen ran aground in the pre-power days and blamed it on the maiden calling them into the rocks when their wives asked what happened to the boat. Like the Sirens in the Odyssey. Drunk boatmen are of no one nationality I guess.

The East Shore of Maryland is relative to Chesapeake Bay, not the land. It gets more confusing every day.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Thanks!

Those ships dock and offload huge piles of limestone outside my house. Its like having a huge factory at the end of the block for a few hours, then it’s gone. Lots of the Great Lakes Trader this year…which seems sketchy, like a tugboat kinda semi-permanently attached to the cargo part.

So…the ship in that show is now called the Kaye Barker and is still a regular visitor here. I’ll try to get a picture next time I get a chance.

The lake was all stirred up and nasty yesterday, and the Stewart J Cort was in an unusual position,

Name:	09DA11E0-6914-4DA0-9289-5D04F6FB0074.jpeg 
Size:	363.5 KB 
ID:	392435
    That’s (obviously) a zoom of a zoom, the ship was like 20 miles away, but yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that close to shore over there. On one hand cautious about avoiding bigger water, on the other hand pretty close to shore…pretty shallow water.
    Anyway, water-wise it was one of those days yesterday, but above-freezing so no deadly icing issues.

Limestone is used as a flux in steel smelting. It absorbs and floats impurities into slag on top of "the heat", then they skim it and tap the furnace full of molten metal from the bottom.
    The fact that rich iron, limestone, and coal deposits exist all around the navigability of the Great Lakes is why so much heavy industry developed along that watery road and so much of the world came to there to work.

Henry Ford, you have to admit, was fucking committed to vertical integration with his entire guts and liver when he wasn't hating Jews. He owned and built the mines and fucking rubber and textile plantations, the great ships which fed the great blast furnaces which made the blocks and crankshafts and windows and wires and ships and tires that made his fucking cars...and, And, the B24s and GT40s that bombed Ferrari man and boy...

Ford River Rouge Plant Blast Furnaces

Henry Ford II, Benson Ford, and William Clay Ford Blast Furnaces (Blast Furnaces A3 B, and C).Two of these furnaces, the Henry Ford II and the Benson Ford, date back to Henry Ford's time. They were designed by Julian Kennedy of Pittsburg and went into operation in 1920 and 1928 respectively. The William Clay Ford furnace dates back only to 1948. Situated between the ore storage bins and the Dearborn Iron Foundry, they have their molten metal transported immediately to that building for casting. Each furnace is capable of producing castings eight times each day, and together they have a daily capacity of 6,700 tons of molten metal. The furnaces are of steel shell construction and have been lined with refractory.
    http://www.fordmotorhistory.com/fact...st_furnace.php
    Last edited by highangle; 11-12-2021 at 03:49 PM.

Ugh. This makes me wish I hadn’t sold my 79 Ford this year.

Real metal.

I had a tour of the Rouge plant when I was a good. It was neat, but the tour of the Good Humor ice cream factory was better. I was too young to appreciate the Stroh's tour.

What about the outer banks? Are those the banks of the shore, or banks of the sea (like banks of a river)

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    What about the outer banks? Are those the banks of the shore, or banks of the sea (like banks of a river)
    They're shoals and barrier islands that border the Gulf Stream and so make a bank of that great river of warm ocean water.

Thanks!

That's called a "self-unloading articulated tug & barge" [ATB].

https://www.vtbarge.com/vtbourfleet

Info

The Joyce L. VanEnkevort was built in 1998 as an articulated tugboat for VanEnkevort Tug & Barge of Escanaba, Michigan. The Joyce was fabricated by Bay Shipbuilding in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, with completion and fit out being taken care of by VanEnkevort Tug & Barge at Escanaba, Michigan. She was fitted with a Hydraconn Articulated Tug/Barge connection system while at Escanaba. She was built to push VanEnkevort’s new barge, the Great Lakes Trader, which was being contracted for construction at the time. The keel for the new tug was laid on March 18, 1997, being completed in early 1998.

For the 1998 season, the Joyce L. VanEnkevort was contracted by the Interlake Steamship Company to push their recently converted barge Pathfinder until the completion of their new tugboat, Dorothy Ann. The VanEnkevort connected to the Pathfinder on March 20, 1998, and the pair departed from Sturgeon Bay the next day. The Joyce pushed Pathfinder into the early 1999 season, trading the barge off to Interlake’s tug Dorothy Ann on June 24, 1999.

In May of 2000, the Joyce L. VanEnkevort sailed out the St. Lawrence Seaway and around the American east coast to New Orleans, Louisiana, to pick up her new barge Great Lakes Trader. The pair departed New Orleans for the Great Lakes on May 28, 2000. Since the barge was built to maximum seaway dimensions, the tug had to detach while transiting St. Lawrence Seaway locks to allow a smaller harbor tug to push the barge into the lock. The tug then had to lock through separately afterwards.

The Great Lakes Trader / Joyce L. VanEnkevort entered service together on June 23, 2000, loading ore at Escanaba, Michigan, for delivery to Indiana Harbor, Indiana.
    The pair are typically employed in the iron ore trade from Lake Superior ports to Cleveland, and Toledo, Ohio and other Southern Lake Michigan ports, and the stone trade from upper Lake Huron and Lake Michigan ports to across the Great Lakes.
    https://duluth-shipsplaces.fandom.co...L._VanEnkevort

Yeah, it seems sketchy given the nature of the storms here.
    I dunno, what do I know…

yeah (yes), the minnie-soda shore is known as the North Shore in the midwest -
    If you tried to tell someone in northern Minnesota that it is the 'west shore' and invite you to come back in (Winter) when it is -30F.
    There's nothing 'west shore' about it --

Plus the 'North Shore' is a megaMillion dollars Industry.

there is a shop in Cornucopia that sells 'North Coast' tee shirts -
    thought it novel enough I bought one...

Lake Superior -to me- is a marvel and a wonder -
    I 've wanted to drive around the Lake for about 25years now...

' ... when the gales of November came early... '

thanks - skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    That's cool. It lets the tug pilot trim his tug under varying loads too.

The links I skimmed never mention the type of outdrives on these tugs...so I guess they're twins and steer with their throttles and not Z-drives?
    They never mention a bow thruster on the barge either, but it looks like there's a little house up there and what could be a stack for an engine? Could just be gensets though [something has to power the self-unloading equipment], and the forepeak tower is an observer station?

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    The links I skimmed never mention the type of outdrives on these tugs...so I guess they're twins and steer with their throttles and not Z-drives
    Sounds like no Z-drive.

https://tugster.wordpress.com/tag/joyce-l-vanenkevort/

This link has a photo of two tugs parked next to each other, the tug in question plus a tug identified as “the worlds largest tug with Z-drive”. And the tug in question is significantly larger.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

We just call it "the lake".
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Sounds like no Z-drive.

https://tugster.wordpress.com/tag/joyce-l-vanenkevort/

This link has a photo of two tugs parked next to each other, the tug in question plus a tug identified as “the worlds largest tug with Z-drive”. And the tug in question is significantly larger.

Name:  dscf7440.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  572.0 KB

"This was the Donjon Shipbuilding yard in Erie PA Febuary 2018. From left to right, Dorothy Ann (the world’s largest z-drive tug at 124′ x 44′), Joyce L. VanEnkvort (135′ x 50′), and Elizabeth Anna (54′ x 17′)."

The Dorothy Ann isn't that much smaller than the Joyce...And with 1 or 2 z-drives can prob make more moment of turning than the Joyce's screws & rudders.

Anyway, I saw where the principle benefit to ATBs is they take advantage of CG regs to get by with a lot less crew than a ship of similar size. They're better seakeepers than a traditional tug & barge, but that's meaningless to the ppl that write the checks to buy them. They're a bit more versatile in that they can tow a cable from a deck mounted bit in an emergency, but ATB tugs don't typically have tow winches.
    On the downside, the connnection to the barge isn't as strong as a ship, and the screws can't be placed as far apart as in a ship, so there's comparatively less turning moment for docking and other maneuvering.
    I did see where at least some of the barges had simple tunnel bow thrusters. Still, it's gotta be a job docking those big fuckers. Bank suction, dock cushion, windage, current, prop walk, ...

If I get a chance I’ll try to film that rig docking here. It’s been here a lot.

Well, this time it’s sister rig Erie Trader/Clyde Vanenkevort and it’s at night.

Going to bed now, this is out my window, about 250yds away:

Name:	7836C7BA-110E-4564-8291-EEF5B4F7FD10.jpeg 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	393346

One of my favorite things about this house.

Well, this time it’s sister rig Erie Trader/Clyde Vanenkevort and it’s at night.

Going to bed now, this is out my window, about 250yds away:

Name:	7836C7BA-110E-4564-8291-EEF5B4F7FD10.jpeg 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	393346

One of my favorite things about this house.
    You must have good blackout shades.