Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Nah, this pedantic douchebag will continue to (correctly) refer to it as the west shore. Until Minnesota seizes Rossport and claims it as a part of the state, then they don't have a leg to stand on with this "north shore" bullshit.
    Go ahead and call it whatever you want, everyone will just think you're a complete douchenugget.

Oh wait, never mind.

Also, west shore? GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Watch that kind of talk. Last time someone started tossing words like that Ohio and Michigan went to war over Toledo and Michigan got the UP as a consolation prize.

Also, on the topic, tons of people call the Great Lakes the “North Coast”, not “shore” as in that’s it until you hit Canuckistan on the other side.
    So if it’s a coast, the land is the reference point, but if it’s a shore, it’s the body of water?

Does this need its own thread?
    focus.

Was chatting with Dad last night, and the wreck of the E.F. came up. He was quartermaster on freighters on the great lakes from about '66 to '68, before moving with his buddies to the west coast. He tone lowered significantly when reminiscing about the dangerous storms that would come in on Superior. This from a guy who started on the riverboats in Germany at the age of 14, then spent much of his later teens sailing the North Sea. Even in the late 60's, some of the boats were coal-powered steam engines. Crazy to think of working in those vessels under that kind of weather in this day and age.

Also, on the topic, tons of people call the Great Lakes the “North Coast”, not “shore” as in that’s it until you hit Canuckistan on the other side.
    What? Not anyone who actually lives near them.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    GTFO with this “West Shore” bullshit.

Couple weeks ago I spent an enjoyable fall afternoon on the deck of that brewery in Two Harbors MN. While enjoying my beer I watched the Arthur M Anderson load iron ore at the docks next door.

Arthur M Anderson was the closest ship to the Edmund Fitzgerald when she went down.

Beer was North Shore Lager. Case closed.

Attachment 392326

Crazy to think about watching that ship. Had to be.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    So if it’s a coast, the land is the reference point, but if it’s a shore, it’s the body of water?

Does this need its own thread?
    Nailed it. And yes we do.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    What? Not anyone who actually lives near them.
    Says the guy living in Montana.

Having grown up on the shores of Lake Erie (skiing south of Buffalo and several years in the Mitten as well) I can assure you there’s no shortage of Great Lakes residents that refer to it as the North Coast. Especially in CLE and BUF.
    I still call it The Jake.

From MN, dog, and NOBODY calls it the North Coast there. You'd be looked at like a fool if you said that shit anywhere in northern MN. Or WI. I should have clarified that I was talking about around Lake Superior in my post. I don't really care what people in NY call their inferior lakes or those inferior lakes' shoreline.

Its said she never gives up her dead.

From MN, dog, and NOBODY calls it the North Coast there. You'd be looked at like a fool if you said that shit anywhere in northern MN. Or WI. I should have clarified that I was talking about around Lake Superior in my post. I don't really care what people in NY call their inferior lakes or those inferior lakes' shoreline.
    That’s because MN would be the east coast.

I’ve never heard this before either. But I’m rarely more than 10 miles away from Superior. It’s usually “the lake” or “the big lake” if we need to get specific.
    focus.

I’ve never heard this before either. But I’m rarely more than 10 miles away from Superior. It’s usually “the lake” or “the big lake” if we need to get specific.

This discussion is shaping up nicely.
    I still call it The Jake.

"I don't really care what people in NY call their inferior lakes or those inferior lakes' shoreline." Ontario may be smaller, but I can't see the other side, so its big enough for me.

Lake Superior has taken shits that are bigger than Lake Ontario.

Probably. But I've seen waves on the eastern shore of ontario that were as big or bigger than the ones in the videos above.

You don’t use Gitchigumi in casual conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb0ldDad View Post
    Yes, and please notify all the Californian and east coast jong immigrants to Oregon and Washington. I'm not sure exactly when the "PNW" thing got started but any time someone announces they're from the "PNW" all I can think of is somewhere near the Kamchatka Penninsula.

Is Alaska in the PNW?

Lake Erie?
    In with the 9.

A mere puddle.

You'd love that beer.

Also, I've yet to see a ship named "Steve".

Think about that.
    Or Karen. I think

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Was chatting with Dad last night, and the wreck of the E.F. came up. He was quartermaster on freighters on the great lakes from about '66 to '68, before moving with his buddies to the west coast. He tone lowered significantly when reminiscing about the dangerous storms that would come in on Superior. This from a guy who started on the riverboats in Germany at the age of 14, then spent much of his later teens sailing the North Sea. Even in the late 60's, some of the boats were coal-powered steam engines. Crazy to think of working in those vessels under that kind of weather in this day and age.
    Did your dad ever navigate the treacherous and deadly Lorelei on the Rhine. If so, I'm in awe.

re nomenclature--the North Shore (of Oahu) and the West Coast (of the US) use the land as the reference point. OTOH the West Bank uses the Jordan river as the reference point. And the North Coast of California is part of the West Coast of the US. I'm so confused.

What about Left and Right Bank for wines?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    What about Left and Right Bank for wines?
    Makes a difference if the river flows East / west more than north/south

I was under the impression that I grew up in the burbs of the North Shore of Chicago. Now I dont know what to think.
    In with the 9.

In my youth I found myself in a double kayak surfing down 12 foot swells on that lake and doing all I could to keep the boat from turning broadside and rolling.

Anytime we were in the trough all we could see was a wall of water. Anytime we went over the top we had to look for our friends in the other double. It was such a focused battle for our own survival that our two boats ended up unintentionally going around different sides of a small island.

When we realized we had lost visual contact with our friends we beached on another island radioed for help and the coast guard came and pulled us off.

Fortunately we were all fine. The coast guard was understandably not impressed. There was zero chance that had we flipped that we would have been able to get back in the boats. Likely would have died.

Ahh youth.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Did your dad ever navigate the treacherous and deadly Lorelei on the Rhine. If so, I'm in awe.
    Never mentioned Lorelei that I recall, but possible - he grew up in Düsseldorf. Most of the stories that far back are of the mom and pop operations on the river. And working with men in the shadow aftermath of the WW2 theatre. Tight, fast water was probably a welcome run to a young teen at the time. I'll ask next we talk, love teasing recollections I haven't heard before or hear rarely from him.

My wife is from that area, I tell her sheMs from the range and that really kisses her off for some reason. I agree w/ Root and Harry…it’s North Shore in MN and WI. I can’t speak for the puddles they call Great Lakes out east.

Every time we go to the in laws we hit up Superior…Root, was that golf pic of Superior National? I only played there once but no matter what break my putt looked to have, everything broke towards the lake. Really cool course.

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    Probably. But I've seen waves on the eastern shore of ontario that were as big or bigger than the ones in the videos above.
    Eastern shore? WTF it's either North or South!

I joke!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    In my youth I found myself in a double kayak surfing down 12 foot swells on that lake and doing all I could to keep the boat from turning broadside and rolling.

Anytime we were in the trough all we could see was a wall of water. Anytime we went over the top we had to look for our friends in the other double. It was such a focused battle for our own survival that our two boats ended up unintentionally going around different sides of a small island.

When we realized we had lost visual contact with our friends we beached on another island radioed for help and the coast guard came and pulled us off.

Fortunately we were all fine. The coast guard was understandably not impressed. There was zero chance that had we flipped that we would have been able to get back in the boats. Likely would have died.

Ahh youth.
    How did you know to call the Coast Guard and not the Shore Guard?