Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Down Jacket Recommendation

Looking for recommendations on a solid down jacket $200 and under. The one issue I really have is that I am a big dude; 6' 4" 250. I'm not fat just large. Normally wear an XL in everything but the jackets I tried on at the local store seemed to be tight in the armpit or shoulder region. When I stepped it up to XXL they were all too baggy. Advice is appreciated.

Try Norrona in a XXL - they tend to run slim.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

What kind of down jacket are you looking at? Mid layer or outer layer?

I picked up a First Ascent Downlines jacket last year... mainly for really cold Minnesota/Montana days and for ice fishing or sitting outside in cold weather. I am 6' 220, football player type build and wear the XL regular length, and I really like it. It's not a layer meant to wear underneath a shell - it's almost parka like... but if that is what you are looking for, it's an awesome jacket. (I originally bought the long to extend a bit longer than waist length, but it turned out being really long and made me feel like a newschooler - and that's just dumb.). It is a spacious coat which I appreciate, and is definitely full featured and a quality build.

Link to First Ascent page:
    http://alturl.com/pf9ad

PM me if you have more questions.

This would be something i could wear under a shell or just around town.

I'll 2nd the First Ascent recommendation.

They have tall and short sizes as well. They have the big parka and then the smaller volume micro puffs as well as some very nice poly-fill pieces.

Really nice stuff at better prices than comparable pieces from other manufacturers and ever better when on sale which it often is. It's all available thru Eddie Bauer (yeah, I know....but it's great stuff).

Im roughly your size and Patagonia seems to fit really well as well as arcteryx. both are very good in the length department and generous in the shoulders.

I would sell my XXL Feathered Friends Volant for a screaming deal. It is cut quite slim in body, a wee bit too slim for my barrel chest build, which is why I'm interested in selling it. Big shoulders, arm holes and arms. It has a snap off hood, superlight fabric, baffled (i.e., not sewn through), black. It's several years old but I've worn it only a few days. $399 new, but I'd let it go for $175 to a mag. Screaming deal for a baffled FF down jacket if it fits. PM me if your are interested.

My wife has two Eddie Bauer First Ascent series down jacket. They offer multiple lengths on their jackets which might help you.

They are having a 20% off sale right now on their website. Definitely will get you a jacket on your budget.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

If you happen to try on a Burton AK xxl and it fits, a buddy here in jackson is selling one almost new for $175.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by IceCoast070 View Post
    Looking for recommendations on a solid down jacket $200 and under. The one issue I really have is that I am a big dude; 6' 4" 250. I'm not fat just large. Normally wear an XL in everything but the jackets I tried on at the local store seemed to be tight in the armpit or shoulder region. When I stepped it up to XXL they were all too baggy. Advice is appreciated.
    I was just at Costo and they have a great deal on a down jacket which looks very much like the Patagonia Down sweater I was wearing for ... $69!

Check Sierra Trading Post dot com. I picked up a Marmot "sweater"there last year that's more like a jacket. Light, warm.

I will reiterate Eddie Bauer may have the old reputation - but the First Ascent lineup is solid. Good quality. Full featured. Great customer service. I would argue some of the best value for specialized pieces...
    -deej
    I'm against picketing... but I don't know how to show it...

FWIW, my FA XL puff is huge in the body

Quote Originally Posted by gointhedistance View Post
    I will reiterate Eddie Bauer may have the old reputation - but the First Ascent lineup is solid. Good quality. Full featured. Great customer service. I would argue some of the best value for specialized pieces...
    I received a catalog from them a month ago that made me look twice at the logo. Somebody is changing that company somehow. Not your daddy's Bauer.

the clymb has some really good down jackets for 80$ and up. I bought a 20K/15K Bonfire Sitka jacket with 550 Fill Power Down and two layer ripstop for 89$...its normally 289$, if you dont know what the clymb is, figure it out. it will save you atleast 50%.

The jacket is Size XL. I am 6'3 about 190 with long arms and it fits me nicely

Quote Originally Posted by vailszendrei View Post
    the clymb has some really good down jackets for 80$ and up. I bought a 20K/15K Bonfire Sitka jacket with 550 Fill Power Down and two layer ripstop for 89$...its normally 289$, if you dont know what the clymb is, figure it out. it will save you atleast 50%.

The jacket is Size XL. I am 6'3 about 190 with long arms and it fits me nicely
    Ignore this ...
    Last edited by huckbucket; 11-09-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Why don't you take your sponsored link and shove it up your ass.
    Can't anyone use the clymb? Maybe your the one with the stick up your ass

To the OP... PM me and I'd be happy to send you an invite

Quote Originally Posted by bryanthebold View Post
    Can't anyone use the clymb? Maybe your the one with the stick up your ass

My bad. The referral is added by TGR and not by the poster. Sorry vails.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Do they sell the Bauer's in store? I dont wanna have to return it so ill prolly stop by while I am back in CT tomorrow if they do. And I am def stopping by Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckh View Post
    I was just at Costo and they have a great deal on a down jacket which looks very much like the Patagonia Down sweater I was wearing for ... $69!
    Saw those and they look pretty nice. 800 fill, too. My Costco also has real Patagonia sweaters for $120.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Ignore this ...
    I guess you dont like cheap stuff.
    Last edited by vailszendrei; 11-10-2012 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanthebold View Post
    Thanks but already apart it, i spend way to much money there lol

Dude, buy Big Steve's jacket. You will never have such a high quality jacket for 175.
    I have one of these and it is a great jacket. Don;t dick around with cheap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Dude, buy Big Steve's jacket. You will never have such a high quality jacket for 175.
    I have one of these and it is a great jacket. Don;t dick around with cheap stuff.
    Ill shoot him a pm but I really wanna try one on before hand. If he'll offer a return policy I'm down.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCoast070 View Post
    Ill shoot him a pm but I really wanna try one on before hand. If he'll offer a return policy I'm down.
    more puns please