I read the 303 article last night or this morning. It seems to be a common occurance on the front range.

In talking to some good ol boys at work, who are motor heads and don't ride bikes, what is the rule with a double yellow line and passing cyclists? They hate roadies by the way. I am a cyclist, and as such I completely cross the line and give them a full lane. Legally is this allowed? I have a hard time believing we (drivers) are required to stay in our lane, and give the cyclist 3', plus the room he/she requires. The road is just not wide enough for all of that. What I want to know is, could a driver be cited for crossing a double yellow line to pass a cyclist?

It's legal to cross a double yellow to pass a cyclist.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Charged with "careless driving." Shouldn't it be assault?

Should be a lot of things. "Careless driving" is a joke.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I read the 303 article last night or this morning. It seems to be a common occurance on the front range....
    Colorado: Like Montana, but crowded.

And apparently full of people who actually hate road biking more than me. Running someone over? That's just too far. OFF TO JAIL!
    Last edited by stuckathuntermtn; 11-06-2012 at 01:33 AM.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

as a cyclist, i gotta say that there are way too many douchebag roadies who give people like hoover a lot to things to hate. I've had to yell at a few morons who feel entitled to ride in the middle of the lane and pretend that the road is for bikes and not for cars. they usually respond in a douchy entitled manner until they see my rack and all the bike stickers on the back of my car after i pass

that being said, this asshole hoover guy should be thrown in jail. he's lucky he didnt kill the guy

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I read the 303 article last night or this morning. It seems to be a common occurance on the front range.
    Self-entitlement runs thick here.

Or cyclists could just be stabbed...

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...d_on_lower.php

Lower greenville. Guy in corvette was probably coked out of his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by PappaG View Post
    Self-entitlement runs thick here.
    Meaning to many motorists feel they are the only ones who should be on the road, right? I only mentioned the front range since the other case where the cyclists video taped the guy honking for minutes.

I'm so glad I don't road bike. You're either an asshole driver or an asshole roadie.
    Last edited by VTsession; 11-08-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Happy to hear that Nix came out with no more than road rash and bruises from this. Hopefully Hoover's license gets suspended for a while, his insurance becomes unaffordable and his truck's tires get slashed regularly

Nix can take solace that he's in good company - Brad Wiggins got hit by a car yesterday and broke two ribs in the fall

Woman in critical condition after being hit in Durango yesterday....

http://durangoherald.com/article/201...r-Bodo-crash--

Quote Originally Posted by SWskier View Post
    Woman in critical condition after being hit in Durango yesterday....

http://durangoherald.com/article/201...r-Bodo-crash--

Word is after surgery in Lakewood when she was lucid (and true to her humorous outlook, I'm told), her first words were, "I feel like I've been run over by a truck." Good sign. I hope she's not as bad off as it sounded from the article.
    ______
    Edit: to previous comments on bike/motorist issues

"Share the road" goes both ways. There of course are the anti-cycling motorists and the self entitled cyclists that keep a level of animosity on the front burner which needs to go away.

IIRC, the CO law rightfully entitles cyclists the use of the roads and to choose/alter their path around hazards, but not the right to unnecessarily impede traffic, ie riding two abreast, chit chatting on a busy street or simply hogging the lane. The law also finally allows the motorist to cross the double yellow when necessary to provide 3' (min) clearance for cyclists, as long as it is safe to do so with oncoming traffic and visibility, otherwise slow until safe to do so. More and more motorists coming on the opposite side get it and swerve onto the shoulder to allow motorists more room while trying to provide a 3' buffer for cyclists traveling in the same lane.

It still amazes me that when new road construction or improvements happen, a sufficient bike lane isn't just a normal part of road planning in this state with a huge cycling interest. This was stuff common place in Boulder in the 70's and it's still lacking in lots of places in the western slope.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 11-09-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

insane 56789
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

That's just f'ing ridiculous

Glad to hear everything's going well for those hurt.
    Can we beat the driver with baseball bats now?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.